TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Glitch enables the ability to do doughnuts and burnouts and drifts...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Proxlamus, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Proxlamus

Proxlamus Member

How to do doughnuts and burnouts in a Tesla? Here's how with a small glitch. The glitch is changing the wheel configuration

- Step 1 : Go to Menu, Service, Wheel configuration.
    - Step 2 : Stay with the same size wheels but change the color of your wheels. Silver vs Sonic Carbon or whatever.
    - Step 3 : The MCU will restart and the dash display will indicate all autopilot and safety features are disabled. Traction control and Stability management will be turned off. Stay seated.
    - NOTE : Once you walk away from the car and re-enter the car and put the car back in drive all the settings will go back to normal. However, if you stay seated in your car after the MCU restart itll continue with all settings disabled. The dash will be lit up with every indication that safety is disabled.
    - Step 4 : Do doughnuts and burn outs and drift. Safely. Dont be dumb.
    - Step 5 : Get out of the car, lock the doors. No time needed to wait at all to go back in.
    - Step 6 : Unlock doors, get back in the car and put in Drive. Everything will be back to normal and you can resume autopilot and safety features.
    - Step 7 : Dont forget to go back to the original wheel color.

I tested this today and did my first AWD fast doughnuts in the snow with the Tesla.. Fantastic

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  2. Flyguy

Flyguy Member

Sounds too good to be true. I may need to experiment tomorrow. Especially since my S is RWD!

3. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

This is why we can’t have nice things lol

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  4. LN1_Casey

LN1_Casey Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I'd love to see a Tesla S do a donut in the snow.

5. CRASHER

CRASHER Member

I have driven with all safety disabled. Even the regen was disabled, and I was surprised how the car kept on rolling. The braking distance took a major hit (increased). Did not do any donuts though.

6. StarLog

StarLog Supporting Member

Now Tesla Engineers will see this and fix it so we cannot do ot.

7. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

• Love x 3
  8. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

Us folks with classic RWD only...... just disable traction control and donuts galore.....did one when my wife wasnt expecting it and scared the poo out of her.....that should teach her to be playing pokemon go whilst I haz fun and not paying attention. :D

• Like x 2
  9. nguyentoogood

nguyentoogood Youtuber / Engineer

thanks for the tutorial, i plan on replacing my tires soon. So one last donut won't hurt :)

10. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

Great. Now we can *all* be socially and environmentally-unfriendly arrisholes.

• Disagree x 1
  11. Proxlamus

Proxlamus Member

Also.. I'm an idiot and spelled Donut wrong. It's not doughnut like I type . Shame I cant edit it lol

• Funny x 1
  12. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

Spell it anyway you like......all doughnuts/donuts are yummy.

• Like x 1
  13. Flyguy

Flyguy Member

No big shocker that those of us who want to do donuts can’t spell donut...:confused:

• Funny x 2
  14. mb300sd

mb300sd Member

I wish they would just add a quick setting. I just want to be able to do a burnout at the drag strip...

15. BrainCandy

BrainCandy Member

No need to go through all that. It’s easy to do donuts in the snow if you enable slip start. For my first winter with my Model S, I wanted to test its handling in the snow, so I tried some controlled spins in an empty parking lot. It won’t break loose with traction control on, but it allows some very controlled spins and donuts with slip start enabled. I was very impressed at how the car would do exactly what I wanted in such snowy and icy conditions.

• Like x 1
  16. keerolee

keerolee Member

Do not update to V10. 1 2019.36.2.1 ea322ad if you want to keep doing donuts.

• Informative x 1
  17. selfbp

selfbp Member

just unplug a speed sensor by turning your wheel and reaching back there

18. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

#18 Russell, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    This is a donut I'm waiting for one of us to do.

Tight circle spinning like a top. I first saw it on Tekademics many years ago and a guy in a Lamborghini did it perfectly.

This guy is ok.

19. David29

David29 Supporting Member

The Model S will break loose the rear end on a slippery surface even with AWD and even without disabling traction control. I have been surprised a couple of times when making a left turn out of a driveway onto a snow-covered road -- the rear end broke loose and I turned faster and further than i expected, requiring a quick correction. And I managed to do some deliberate modest donuts in a supermarket parking lot, again with no change in settings. Not as dramatic as the video, but still fun to take a couple of turns in the snow. (This is with all-season tires, not snows.)

20. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Is this confirmed? Bummer I already updated.

(I should start a thread complaining about how the updates take away features from us. Maybe file a lawsuit.)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1