Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove Box Latching

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same thing seems to be happening to me! Brand new 2017 Model S.

I get in and the glove box is open... I'm like "what the"? This has happened a few times. I kept wondering if my glove box latch was physically defective.

Then, just tonight, it seemed like it occurred when unlocking the car... in front of my eyes! But, then later, I could not make it happen again "on demand".

So, I searched the forum for "glove box" when I got home tonight... and here I am posting.

I had mine replaced for a faulty latch. It would pop open randomly, and so I took it to the Service Center and they installed a new glove box. I've had no issues since. But I lost the little J1772 cubby in the back, it appears that the new glove boxes don't have the little cubby.

But only when the car unlocks? That's very odd. Maybe a software bug?

Doesn't the glovebox lock when the car locks?
I think you're thinking of the glovebox "locking" feature incorrectly. Nothing physically happens to lock or unlock the glovebox. The locking is electronic. That is, the open button simply stops responding while the glovebox is "locked".

Yes, I close the glovebox completely. Nothing seems wrong with the mechanism. The glovebox never pops open while driving (even on rough roads). It simply opens (like normal, just as if I'd pressed the open button) whenever the car is unlocked.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with the glove box?

Are you quoting something... do you have some documentation you can point a link to?
I believe he's making a joke ;)

OP, have you tried doing a full reset of the vehicle? Go to Controls -> E-Brake and Power Off -> Power Off. Wait 2 minutes and press the brake pedal to bring the car back to life. If it's a software issue, a full reset should fix it. Or else you may have to make a Service visit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cricket88
I hate to bring this back up...but it just started happening to my wife's Model S following a recent software update.

Did we ever find a resolution to this? It is definitely NOT random. The glove box clearly opens, purposefully, every time the car is unlocked. It's consistent and happens on every unlock.

-Rob

I hate to bring this back up...but it just started happening to my wife's Model S following a recent software update.

Did we ever find a resolution to this? It is definitely NOT random. The glove box clearly opens, purposefully, every time the car is unlocked. It's consistent and happens on every unlock.

-Rob

Rob, I had your exact experience. Tesla solved this for me over the phone. Sit in the car, and look at the button to the right of the screen that unlocks the glove box. It may not "look" like it, but it is common for this button to get slightly stuck. Wiggle it around until it is pressing in and out without getting caught.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVCarGUy