Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
pushing the car is more efficient than turning motion into electricity then back into motion.

Only if you can keep the engine revs and load close to its sweet spot.

The ICE is at its most efficient around the torque peak, and only at high load. Gasoline engines are particularly bad at partial load. I have no idea how they have actually done it, but it might for instance make sense to have the engine charge the batteries and deliver torque to the wheels at the same time to get better efficiency (high load), then switch it off later and use the generated electricity. The engine load from the generator is just as easily controllable as the output from a motor, so it's possible to perfectly blend generator load/motor torque with torque delivered mechanically from the engine.

If the engine will never have to run at speeds below e.g. 2500 rpm, you can also tune it more aggressively. So by disconnecting the engine from the wheels at a certain threshold to use it to power the generator at optimal load and rpm instead, you can choose an engine that is more efficient overall.

Seems to me that GM is trying hard to get the most out of the fuel.

Last edited:
That video showed that the Volt has a feature that I'd love to have on my Roadster: instead of telling the car when to START charging, you tell it when to FINISH.

Yes! Not only that, but based on current SOC, charge lost while sitting idle, and time of desired completion, the car should figure out the ideal time to start AND which amperage to use while charging. With the computer technology we have, we should be able to tell the car how we want to use it, and let the car figure out how to deliver that to us.

I've seen Roadster drivers post a 300 Wh/mi energy consumption here. Has anyone been able to calculate that number for the Volt?
The "energy consumption" varies, of course, based on many driving conditions. It's hard to express it with one number.

But based on your post ... I just want to make sure the 300 Wh/mile number you're thinking of is not being confused with the estimated wall-to-battery consumption while charging. A formula I have offered on this site to estimate how fast you can charge the Roadster is Volts*Amps/300. The result of that computation is an estimate of how many Ideal Miles (IM) the Roadster will charge in one hour. So ... in essence the "300" in the formula represents 300 Wh/ideal-mile. (V*A = Watts; the 300 carries units of Wh/mile; so the result is: Miles-per-hour (charged).) That's approximately and conservatively (also depending on conditions such as ESS cooling) the Roadster's "consumption" while charging.

While driving, the consumption can vary radically, and 300 Wh/mile is actually a pretty "spririted" battery-to-wheel consumption over a longer drive. The combined cycle EPA estimated consumption of the "ideal miles" that you charged the battery with is approximately 216 Wh/mile, as computed from 53kWh/245miles (for the original 2008 Roadster).

Last edited:
Bah. "Go ahead, fire up that gas engine... Drive really far. No problem."

What happened to keeping it all electric, man?

Hopefully people plug them in frequently and don't view the plug as an occasional, optional thing to do just when you feel like being "good".

---------------------

Here are two different perspectives to know if you are a full convert or not:

Given that you have a gasoline car, and a full EV in your driveway, and you can pick either...

Scenario A:
You get in the electric vehicle and feel smug and different thinking "I am being extra good because I didn't drive the gas car."
Then you get in the gas car and it feels "normal".

Scenario B:
You get in the electric car and it feels "normal" and you don't even think about the gas car.
Then you get in the gas car and you feel "bad" that you couldn't take the electric.

I don't think we are fully there yet until electric feels normal, and gasoline seems wrong.

GM still seems to be thinking "you can be good/odd/electric" sometimes but you have the "normal" gas engine ready whenever you want it.

Volt Z-Spec...

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/11/03/sema-2010-chevrolet-shows-off-z-spec-treatment-for-volt-cruze/
01-z-spec-630.jpg

Is it wrong that I think that looks pretty dang cool?

I wish the Leaf looked that nice.

In one of his interviews, I remember Elon pointing out that the cost to bend a sheet of metal is the same for a bland looking car as it is for a well styled car so might as well design a well styled car. Frankly, I don't get GM displaying the Volt Z-Spec before even the first incarnation of the Volt is sold. To my eyes it is much better looking and if I was in the market for a Volt, I would have reservations about the first incarnation styling wise. The second attempt is much better looking IMHO.

In one of his interviews, I remember Elon pointing out that the cost to bend a sheet of metal is the same for a bland looking car as it is for a well styled car so might as well design a well styled car. Frankly, I don't get GM displaying the Volt Z-Spec before even the first incarnation of the Volt is sold. To my eyes it is much better looking and if I was in the market for a Volt, I would have reservations about the first incarnation styling wise. The second attempt is much better looking IMHO.

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to show special versions of upcoming cars at SEMA before they've even hit the streets. That's the flavor of that event. As far as the styling on what you call this "second attempt", all they really did was put some different wheels on it, add some stickers, and maybe lower it an inch or so.