Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM EV1 revisited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know how many are actually left? I know a few in museums, and supposedly some colleges ended up with a few.

There was that one that they got running again, what became of it? From what I heard they were instructed by GM to never license it, but GM's obligation to support the car has long since expired, why would they care? Other than your "promise" to GM not to do so, what exactly would stop you from titling and licensing one?

There was that one that they got running again, what became of it?

I think there are about 40 left; about 38 of those were given to universities or museums. All of them had the batteries and drivetrains removed, and all wiring cut. Any circuit boards that didn't come out easily were drilled to make sure they wouldn't work. The recipients had to sign documents saying the cars wouldn't move under their own power again.

The one at Western Washington University did get going for a while. A bunch of GM S-10 electric parts were used. GM found out and told them to knock it off. Universities are pretty afraid of lawsuits, so it's now sitting behind the university in a covered area; I saw it a few months ago. Very dusty. Sad. They were incredible cars for their day.

Now that GM has a plug-in hybrid on the road - and very soon a BEV as well - I wonder if they would mind if it got moving again...

Now that GM has a plug-in hybrid on the road - and very soon a BEV as well - I wonder if they would mind if it got moving again...

That was kind of my thinking as well.

The funny thing is, somehow "they" were able to save the electric S10's. Which were nothing more than the EV1 drivetrain in a standard S10. Personally if I had been one of those universities with an EV1, I would have immediately started hunting for an electric S10. Everything you would need would be right there.

Personally my feeling is, if I own the car, I'll do whatever the hell I want with it. But then I don't know the nature of the contract they signed to get them. Makes you wonder what GM expected the universities to gain from having them, if there was going to be such restrictions.

Off topic, anyone have any experience with an electric S10? I've never seen one. Customer here had a Ranger EV he brought by a few times though. Pretty cool truck.