Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Ahead -- Grade my Vanity Plate Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not mine, but saw this in Sarasota when traveling last week!
:D

Attachments

• 20180611_124228.jpg
    20180611_124228.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 592
Here is mine. Waiting for my Tesla.........at some future date
We actually ordered our personalized plate for our Prius and transferred it to our Model 3 so we could secure the one we wanted while it was still available. We got really lucky and never had to actually put it on the Prius.
Because the temporary was good all the way up until the day before we picked up the Model 3.

I don't understand why people put their vanity plate on the car and the plate is some variation of the car name. Isn't the car OBVIOUSLY whatever it is? So the Model 3 is lightly badged, but it's still obviously a Tesla. Personalized plates are about making your car personal to you. I have always gone with my name on a plate as that seems the definition of Vanity. That said, my Airstream does have the plate SKYDECK as it's one of only 27 in the world, so people might not know it's got a roof patio.

I started when I actually saw my name on a VW Rabbit roll thru Westwood, got me mad that I hadn't thought of it first. So I got LA RANDY, but when I moved to NorCal that plate was stupid. I had just gotten the email ISRANDY (as I worked in IT, and IS is a synonym AND it means "I AM", which is too many letters) so that became my plate to this day. When I got the electric motorcycle in 2009 EV RANDY was its plate, and RV RANDY when I got my first motorhome. Now that I am a Tesla owner I am moving that EV plate to the new car.

-Randy

Reactions: Bobsil
I don't understand why people put their vanity plate on the car and the plate is some variation of the car name. Isn't the car OBVIOUSLY whatever it is? So the Model 3 is lightly badged, but it's still obviously a Tesla. Personalized plates are about making your car personal to you. I have always gone with my name on a plate as that seems the definition of Vanity. That said, my Airstream does have the plate SKYDECK as it's one of only 27 in the world, so people might not know it's got a roof patio.

I started when I actually saw my name on a VW Rabbit roll thru Westwood, got me mad that I hadn't thought of it first. So I got LA RANDY, but when I moved to NorCal that plate was stupid. I had just gotten the email ISRANDY (as I worked in IT, and IS is a synonym AND it means "I AM", which is too many letters) so that became my plate to this day. When I got the electric motorcycle in 2009 EV RANDY was its plate, and RV RANDY when I got my first motorhome. Now that I am a Tesla owner I am moving that EV plate to the new car.

-Randy
So the plate represents the stock symbol not the car. I have made a lot of money for retirement by investing in TSLA, scty, kndy etc.....
By the way, the plate is on a Chevrolet. People at work ( Chevrolet dealer) get a kick out of it.

• Funny
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I don't understand why people put their vanity plate on the car and the plate is some variation of the car name. Isn't the car OBVIOUSLY whatever it is? So the Model 3 is lightly badged, but it's still obviously a Tesla. Personalized plates are about making your car personal to you. I have always gone with my name on a plate as that seems the definition of Vanity.
<<shrug>>
I don't really understand either. But then I've never been tempted to write my name on my forehead or slap a sticker on my chest that says "HI! My name is SageBrush."

I view the plate in the same vein as a T-shirt with a message that is hopefully more interesting than writing "This Tee belongs to me." That also seems rather self-evident.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
<<shrug>>
I don't really understand either. But then I've never been tempted to write my name on my forehead or slap a sticker on my chest that says "HI! My name is SageBrush."

I view the plate in the same vein as a T-shirt with a message that is more interesting than writing "This Tee belongs to me." That also seems rather self-evident.
Just don't go with a plate that says IM W STPD Your wife might not take kindly to that!

• Funny
Reactions: xav-

-Randy
Yeah I tried to get my name or any reasonable variation of it first.
Nothing close. My name is too common.
But I was shocked that MYTESLA was available.
Unfortunately in Washington the law requires a front plate which I would happily omit. So if you have to have one in the front at may as well be something a little special.