Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Ahead -- Grade my Vanity Plate Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AMP3D... A triple entendre if you will

1) Amped: to be filled with nervous energy or excitement
2) The obvious unit of electric current
3) The last three letters are P3D (i.e. Performance Model 3)

Having said that, I doubt I will actually get vanity plates as I've always found them too pretentious and just give people more reason to roll their eyes.

Can I post mine here? A little Field of Dreams tip of the hat for the state I’m living in. :)

0489A4F9-1C3C-4F72-977D-A25A7B985A92.jpeg

I suspect OHMNOMM is a play on Om Nom. Two meanings for that:

- Original is internet slang for the sound you make while eating (usually something good)

- 2nd is the character in the mobile game Cut The Rope. The character is trying to eat tasty candies in the game, thus the name.

It's more of the first meaning, and was partially inspired by another Tesla plate I at the office where I work: "EATS KWH". But OHM NOMM works particularly well on a blue car I think (just needs the googly eyes):

Cookie+Monster+Om+Nom+Nom.jpeg

Originally, of course, I wanted OHM NOM. The second 'M' on the end is only because I made the mistake of posting the idea in another thread when I initially thought of it, and immediately someone poached it! So I had to go with the variation. Live and learn :)

Last edited:
Reactions: one true morty
Many owners like to have a little extra fun with a car they love via a personalized plate, and in many states (including California) their annual fee goes to charity.

I'm keeping my eye on the "non-personalized" plate 3XIV159. Since 'XIV' in Roman numerals is 14, this would be my Pi Plate! And if someone doesn't get it, they'll just assume it's a sequential plate.

On a related note, a family friend was once forced to switch to a personalized plate, after she was assigned the sequential plate 2GRT269. Whatcha gonna do.

Last edited:
I'm keeping my eye on the "non-personalized" plate 3XIV159. Since 'XIV' in Roman numerals is 14, this would be my Pi Plate! And if someone doesn't get it, they'll just assume it's a sequential plate.

On a related note, a family friend was once forced to switch to a personalized plate, after she was assigned the sequential plate 2GRT269. Whatcha gonna do.

Took me a minute to figure out the "problem" with the sequential plate you listed there, and then I was like, "OHHHHHHHH." :p

Also, love your plate idea, and furthermore you're a brave person for being in California, where competition is fierce for good plates since we're such a big state, and posting your desired plate! I trust forum members, but you never know what lurkers are out there! I've got one in mind that I'm super excited about, but I'm keeping it under my hat until I actually secure it. :D

Reactions: Ben W
Having said that, I doubt I will actually get vanity plates as I've always found them too pretentious and just give people more reason to roll their eyes.
All the fees for my vanity plate go to the Children's Defense Fund. I am more than willing to be pretentious in the defense of a child and I feel very sorry for people who roll their eyes at that.

Also, love your plate idea, and furthermore you're a brave person for being in California, where competition is fierce for good plates since we're such a big state, and posting your desired plate! I trust forum members, but you never know what lurkers are out there! I've got one in mind that I'm super excited about, but I'm keeping it under my hat until I actually secure it. :D

I don't mind posting the idea because (1) I don't have or anticipate anytime soon getting an extra car to put it on, and (2) it's been unavailable as long as I've been checking, perhaps even still registered to the original vehicle?

I currently have three Teslas, each with custom plates:

1) 2008 Roadster, 'BB VIII' (BB-8, the Star Wars droid)
2) 2012 Model S, 'RCHRGBL' ("Rechargeable", though sometimes people ask if it means "Rich Gerbil"?)
3) 2017 Model 3, 'OHM NOMM'.

I did originally want to get 'BATT MBL' for the Roadster, but it was taken, alas.

All the fees for my vanity plate go to the Children's Defense Fund. I am more than willing to be pretentious in the defense of a child and I feel very sorry for people who roll their eyes at that.

Certainly you can make donations to the fund without plates though, correct? Don't get me wrong, sounds like a great cause and more power to you, but personally, I want to further Tesla's mission of transitioning the world to sustainability. Getting what many find (at least in my mid-to-late 20's demographic) as tacky/embarrassing plates on what's already widely considered a "fanboy" culture doesn't help people want to join that or be perceived as such (in my opinion, of course).

At the end of the day it probably makes a negligible difference, but my fear is Tesla owners are quickly becoming the new BMW owners, which everyone loves to hate. Maybe it's just my personality, but I've found that humility and not drawing attention to oneself has typically served me well.

I'm aware my opinion above is likely in the minority in this community, and I'm fine with that. Enjoy customizing your cars as you see fit ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Amferrous
Certainly you can make donations to the fund without plates though, correct? Don't get me wrong, sounds like a great cause and more power to you, but personally, I want to further Tesla's mission of transitioning the world to sustainability. Getting what many find (at least in my mid-to-late 20's demographic) as tacky/embarrassing plates on what's already widely considered a "fanboy" culture doesn't help people want to join that or be perceived as such (in my opinion, of course).

At the end of the day it probably makes a negligible difference, but my fear is Tesla owners are quickly becoming the new BMW owners, which everyone loves to hate. Maybe it's just my personality, but I've found that humility and not drawing attention to oneself has typically served me well.

I'm aware my opinion above is likely in the minority in this community, and I'm fine with that. Enjoy customizing your cars as you see fit ;)
While I agree that some of the plates people are using are rather cutesy or truly "vanity" related, mine was selected in the early days of mass market EVs to educate those who spotted it that EVs exist. EVs remain very rare out in the boondocks where I live — full size diesel pickup trucks and brontosaurus class SUVs predominate here.

Even now, seven years later, on a road trip to Oregon I had several complete strangers tell me how much they liked my plate.

I, for one, enjoy looking at and trying to decode personalized plates. YMMV.

On the road to Gateway2003sf 4-9-18.jpg

14383252771_823208efc8_t.jpg

Last edited:
I used to change my plates every year. Over the years I had plates like "SF-FAN", "WHTKNT", "TRYME+", "IMTHE1", "&YES&", "MMCXII" and many many others until "WIZARD" became available. (I've written software since the 1970s - I speak to inanimate objects and make them do my bidding, or I did until they put me in management)

The Model 3 finally got me to change my plate after well over 10 years of not changing it and, as my signature says, I went with "OHM+RUN" (I'm also a baseball fan so it works for that, too)

Bonus points to anyone who knows not just what MMCXII is, but why I'd put it on a plate :)

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker and Tron 3