Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going crazy about Performance brakes? [Tesla using caliper covers on rear brakes of Y performance after supplier switch]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone – I'm having the weirdest issue and I have no clue whether any has experienced anything remotely similar or whether I'm going crazy.

I bought a PMY, brand new, in September 2022. I picked it up myself, with 15 miles on the dash. I've had some minor issues here and there, but for the most part, the car has been fine when I've taken it in to get addressed.

Now: as my wheels were getting rotated last week, I noticed that one of the brake caliper covers on my rear right wheel seemed loose. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the caliper cover had actually snapped off. I thought this was super weird, because the cover looked really sturdy on the other rear brake (now I feel like I should've looked at all of them). I figured this must have been some manufacturing error or flaw, because unless the tire guys were pulling hard or messing with the brakes, there's no way that they would've snapped off. Not to mention that changing the brakes would've been a big job, and not something that I wouldn't have noticed during the tire rotation.

I took it to a Tesla Service Center today, and they're actually telling me that the rear brakes appear to be aftermarket: they look like the regular non-performance brakes that are instead red with a Tesla logo applied. The regular performance brakes don't even have caliper covers.

What is going on? The breaks have NOT been touched in the two-three months that I have owned the car. I have no clue what could've happened, but I guess I also don't have any proof that I didn't replace the original brakes with these aftermarket brakes? But why would I do that? Replace the brakes with worst brakes – and only the back ones?

Would appreciate any thoughts/advice, or if anyone knows how I might be able to escalate and get help. Called customer service and their only interest was in getting me off the phone as quickly as possible. This really sucks, and I hate that I'm having the Tesla experience that other people warned me about.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
I took it to a Tesla Service Center today, and they're actually telling me that the rear brakes appear to be aftermarket: they look like the regular non-performance brakes that are instead red with a Tesla logo applied. The regular performance brakes don't even have caliper covers.

I read your post, but I am sorry but I do not understand this statement. Can you try to explain again what the service center is telling you?

Here are pictures of the front and back wheel on my wifes 2022 Model Y performance. She doesnt drive it a lot, so it has just over 1k miles on it, purchased march of this year. This is how it comes from the factory:

Front Wheel
IMG_0264.JPG

Back Wheel

IMG_0265.JPG

Last edited:
I read your post, but I am sorry but I do not understand this statement. Can you try to explain again what the service center is telling you?
Yeah, sorry, maybe wasn't clear.

The Service Center inspected my brakes, and inspected the caliper cover that had snapped off. They were surprised by this, because they've never seen a brake caliper snap off before. Upon further inspection, they realized that these were not the OEM Performance brakes, because those don't even have caliper covers. So it looks like my car came with non-Performance brakes that look like aftermarket parts, and they're confused because they've never seen that.

I found a few pictures of my delivery date, and right after when I switched my wheels myself – you can see the tiny brake. The big brake picture is what the Service Center showed me is what the actual Performance brakes look like.

Let me know if that's clearer!

Attachments

• IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 877
  • IMG_0625.PNG
    IMG_0625.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 865
  • IMG_0626.PNG
    IMG_0626.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 857
  • IMG_0627.PNG
    IMG_0627.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 837
Love to see a pic of the "cover". If the rear brakes indeed have a cover and you picked it up that way, that's a very big deal IMHO. AFAIK, it should not have a "cover"
- Do both the front and rear have covers?
- Do the fronts have a cover?
- Does your screen show a red line underneath the Dual Motor logo in the About section (I may have that wording wrong but it's either last or second to last option on the settings screen).

I can't see covers available:
on any model

[EDIT] wow, the pictures you uploaded really show a cheesy cover on the rear calipers. That's nuts. Hopefully with your collection day photos you can have this rectified. I'd be sure to check all four.

Yeah thats really strange.. especially for a brand new vehicle, picked up from tesla. Since it appears you took pictures of when you swapped the wheels , hopefully you can show them "in process" pics and see if you can show the picture metadata for the date etc.

Hey guys, sharing an update. So they called engineering, and it looks like for a small batch of VINs, they did this small back brake thing. They have the parts and it’s stock. They just gave me the runaround and freaked me out for now reason. From what I understand, these aren’t the performance ones that everyone gets. Honestly, I don’t really feel like these are performance brakes at all…feeling a little cheated, like I got painted over regular parts instead of what I paid for, which are those big nice red brakes. Due to their mistake, they’ve offered to cover the replacement of the damaged brake. But honestly, I feel like they just need to install the other ones that are actually performance brakes. Any ideas what I can do here? This doesn’t feel good, man. A whole day wasted on this runaround too.

Hey guys, sharing an update. So they called engineering, and it looks like for a small batch of VINs, they did this small back brake thing. They have the parts and it’s stock. They just gave me the runaround and freaked me out for now reason. From what I understand, these aren’t the performance ones that everyone gets. Honestly, I don’t really feel like these are performance brakes at all…feeling a little cheated, like I got painted over regular parts instead of what I paid for, which are those big nice red brakes. Due to their mistake, they’ve offered to cover the replacement of the damaged brake. But honestly, I feel like they just need to install the other ones that are actually performance brakes. Any ideas what I can do here? This doesn’t feel good, man. A whole day wasted on this runaround too.

If you lived on the east coast I would swap with you, I like the standard rear brakes because you can fit the M3 18" Aero wheels that will not fit over the MYP performance rear calipers.

Keith

PS: Looks like my first option "Secret supply chain issue rear caliper downgrade" was the correct option!

If you lived on the east coast I would swap with you, I like the standard rear brakes because you can fit the M3 18" Aero wheels that will not fit over the MYP performance rear calipers.

Keith

PS: Looks like my first option "Secret supply chain issue rear caliper downgrade" was the correct option!
That was my hunch too! But the service center made me feel like I was being preposterous. The number of times they asked me if I had bought the car used.

I’m moving to NYC this summer, so if we’re around the same neck of the woods let’s do it!

Yeah I would be livid if this was my car. I wouldnt want those parts I would want the parts that are supposed to be there, that "everyone else" got when they ordered a performance Model Y.

After looking around— Tesla no longer puts Brembo brakes on the MYP, and uses a brake manufacturer named Mando.

The caliper is no longer a big solid block, but instead a main caliper with a cosmetic cover on top.

I'm still processing how I feel about this, I'm a little disappointed. In a way I feel like it's the MYPs equivalent of a fake air scoop.

Reactions: bobbyjae
After looking around— Tesla no longer puts Brembo brakes on the MYP, and uses a brake manufacturer named Mando.

The caliper is no longer a big solid block, but instead a main caliper with a cosmetic cover on top.

I'm still processing how I feel about this, I'm a little disappointed. In a way I feel like it's the MYPs equivalent of a fake air scoop.

The spoiler is just taped on as well... Reason why I took mine off.