Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 2019 M3P stealth to 2022 LR with boost thoughts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is going to have their own opinion. I wouldn't trade. I'm still in a 2018 because I don't think the new features outweigh the disadvantages.

Cons for me would be:
New M3 is vision only autopilot which has more problems with phantom braking for the time being.
New M3 uses expensive bluetooth TPMS sensors which makes swapping wheels more problematic.
You're giving up track mode. That's more valuable than M3P or acceleration boost 0-60 times.
Do you have FSD? You'll have to buy that again.
You have to pay sales tax & destination fee again.

You're giving up track mode. That's more valuable than M3P or acceleration boost 0-60 times.
^^^ This. Personally I don't care much about the acceleration difference between LR AWD vs AB vs P, but I wouldn't give up Track Mode.

Then again you've had your M3P for a while. You know by now if you never use / don't care about Track Mode. I think @superflyrolla is right to point it out though in case you weren't thinking about it!

Track Mode and acceleration differences aside, my usual spiel about 2021/2022 vs older Model 3 is the differences are all small, but there's a lot of them and they do add up to a nice improvement, even moreso with Ryzen MCU3 and the Lithium 15V battery now (assuming you'll get those). In normal times I'd say NOT worth it to upgrade yet, wait for bigger changes like a big drivetrain improvement, but today's crazy used car market means upgrading is often worthwhile, especially factoring in the warranty.

Reactions: jebinc
Getting a great price for the 2019. Looking to get more range and all the new improvements. Is the boost on hold for the newest batteries? I do love the power and will struggle with the slower model.

You're going to see a massive slowdown on the launch. I went from a 2019 M3P- to a 2021 M3P+ and you can even tell a difference in that. The 2019's are brutal off the line.

The inverse is that range freaking sucked in my 2019, and is much better in the 21.

I've only ever played with track mode. As you said, I know I'll lose it and I honestly don't see a value. As far as phantom breaking, I've never liked how the car accelerates and brakes. It actually gets me nauseous. I'll set the car in autopilot and turn the speed to 20. I'll control the accelerator and that stops all the jerking and phantom braking which happens in the 2019 model. It also keeps me engaged. I don't have fsd and don't plan to get it. Now I do love the off the line power. I thought that was the same on at least the M3P?

Unless you've had punitive and atypical range loss, this seems like a step down. You currently have Track Mode, more power, and unless you love the Uber wheels, you'll need to invest in some aftermarket options. You can fix most of what you might not like in the 2019. We have mitigated almost all the issues in the early 2018s M3P - sound deadening and quieting, crappy wheels, bouncey/harsh suspension, Li+ 12 V. Wouldn't sell my 2019 MP3 for what I paid for it (OK - would if I could get free unlimited SC with the new one and someone would throw in the MPP Sport kit!).

@Lburt My butt dyno felt a big, obvious difference in acceleration from low speeds between 2021 P and 2021 LR AWD (without AB), when I test drove them 2 days apart.

On the highway my butt dyno couldn't tell any difference, but at low speeds the P was easily a harder punch in the back. I don't know how AB compares. I guess AB is a lot closer to the P, but it'll still be a downgrade if max off-the-line shove is important to you.

So I agree, stay with the P. Wait until Tesla gives new M3P a real power bump and then consider upgrading to a new M3P. I'm guessing they will soon, within a year or two at most but probably within a year. With the S Plaid hugely faster, and even the S LR faster (top end), and ICE competition caught up or quicker too (e.g. BMW M3)...there is room and pressure for an M3P speed bump. And we know Tesla has the tech to do it.

This all depends on the numbers of course. I've seen reports of people jumping from SR+ to a new LR AWD for practically nothing. Which seems crazy but it's real. If you're getting a crazy good offer and could jump to a new 2022 M3P for just a few thousand dollars, that seems easily worthwhile just for new car warranty + all the smaller improvements (even though no performance improvements yet).

I want more power, not less! The other incremental improvements are nice, but the acceleration is why I purchased my P. As I'm looking for another car to replace my 2018, I'm not sure I'd be happy getting into another M3P much less a slower variant of the Model 3. But, you know you... slower cars might be your thing :)

Just had this conversation with a friend yesterday. Until there’s a significant advantage to trade, I wouldn’t even consider it for now. At some point there’ll be 400+ mile range, and by that time there‘ll be a slew of other upgrades and it’ll make it make sense. Otherwise, changing cars, say, every 2 years just wouldn’t, for me.

While I love the power and appreciate all the points made. I have to look at the fact I would be moving from a 2019 to a 2022 vehicle. Whenever vehicle pricing comes back to earth, there will be more value in a new low mileage car. Also with the warranty almost over with such new tech, resetting the warranty is very valuable to me. I would like the new battery tech, but that is probably more than a year out.
Hell, I'm hoping to let my wife have the m3 and I'll get a ms plaid when they depreciate under 100k.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion. I wouldn't trade. I'm still in a 2018 because I don't think the new features outweigh the disadvantages.

Cons for me would be:
New M3 is vision only autopilot which has more problems with phantom braking for the time being.
New M3 uses expensive bluetooth TPMS sensors which makes swapping wheels more problematic.
Do you have FSD? You'll have to buy that again.
You have to pay sales tax & destination fee again.

Looks like giving up Track Mode won't have to be a dis-advantage anymore if what Elon just tweeted holds true. AB owners will delight and I'm sure it'll push more people towards getting AB who were on the fence.

Screenshot 2022-02-21 111324.png

Last edited:
There goes much of the M3P's value add!
Looks like giving up Track Mode won't have to be a dis-advantage anymore if what Elon just tweeted holds true. AB owners will delight and I'm sure it'll push more people towards getting AB who were on the fence.

View attachment 772061
For those wanting to verify this screencap, here's the actual posts:

Bennett's post: Elon's reply:
I'm not considering that a done deal yet just from a Tweet, but if the M3LR+AB gets full Track Mode there goes much of the M3P's value add!

That reply does leave the door open for something less than full Track Mode, e.g. just turning down the nannies without the other features. From a software perspective it's probably easiest to enable the existing Track Mode, but maybe they'll keep things differentiated. If I was in Tesla product management I would suggest only giving M3LR+AB a turn-down-nannies features to leave some product differentiation.

No matter what happens here I'll have no regrets getting the M3P, but for sure this will influence some purchasing decisions. Maybe Tesla will lower the price gap from M3LR to M3P with this change? The MYLR to MYP gap is a lot smaller, and I think that reflects the smaller value add because there's no Track Mode for either.

I think if Tesla were smart about it, they'd make Track Mode an add-on (maybe something like $500), not just a freebee. Though, I'm not opposed to taking something for free but it'd be easy money for them (and reduce losses from customers who decide not to get an M3P because they can get this feature in a LR).

I think if Tesla were smart about it, they'd make Track Mode an add-on (maybe something like $500), not just a freebee. Though, I'm not opposed to taking something for free but it'd be easy money for them (and reduce losses from customers who decide not to get an M3P because they can get this feature in a LR).

Makes sense to me- something like what they did for the rear heated seats in the SR-- more expensive version gets it 'free' but it's a paid option for cheaper trim.

That said- not sure if there'd be any difference in capabilities for the LR AWD cars with the P motor versus the newer ones with the lesser motor....(and if there is, would it mean Tesla would only release a nerfed track mode that works on both-which is basically how they did acceleration boost- or would you get whatever works with your cars HW)

@MagnusMako With $8k M3P vs M3LR price gap I think Tesla has valued M3P Track Mode at approximately $2k-$3k. Especially when you compare with MYP vs MYLR $5k price gap (no track mode).

If they sold Track Mode for M3LR at $500 surely they'd find more takers than at $2k- $3k. I wonder how total revenue would compare. Again, if I were making product decisions there I'd only sell it that cheap if Tesla is also narrowing the M3P-M3LR price gap at the same time. Or adding additional features to the M3P to continue justifying its price premium. Otherwise I think they would lose profit overall from cannibalizing M3P sales.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me- something like what they did for the rear heated seats in the SR-- more expensive version gets it 'free' but it's a paid option for cheaper trim.

That said- not sure if there'd be any difference in capabilities for the LR AWD cars with the P motor versus the newer ones with the lesser motor....(and if there is, would it mean Tesla would only release a nerfed track mode that works on both-which is basically how they did acceleration boost- or would you get whatever works with your cars HW)

There's different ways they could go about incentivizing it. For example, you pay $1000 if you want track mode only. Or you get Boost and full Track Mode together for $2500, or they only allow you to buy track mode if you buy boost. As far as the capabilities, I'd imagine it's really just a matter of where it limits the torque and how much % wise of the currently available power the software detects. The only real difference in capability I can think of otherwise should be the newer model 3's which have better cooling.

I think to get boost and track mode it will be at least $2-3K, Tesla would lose a lot of M3P sales which means less revenue and profit. I’m not convinced they will even do it once they do the math and realize lost sales of M3P.

I disagree. Track Mode is really only important to a small group of people who want to track their cars. The vast majority of people who go for a Performance are looking for that increased straight line acceleration and the M3P is a car that any average joe can mash the pedal and enjoy a thrill without any drama or skill - this is another reason for it's increasing popularity. I highly doubt offering this option would have that much of an impact on lost M3P sales. Most consumers going into buying a Tesla for the first time probably aren't even aware of the Track Mode capability to begin with.

I disagree. Track Mode is really only important to a small group of people who want to track their cars. The vast majority of people who go for a Performance are looking for that increased straight line acceleration and the M3P is a car that any average joe can mash the pedal and enjoy a thrill without any drama or skill - this is another reason for it's increasing popularity. I highly doubt offering this option would have that much of an impact on lost M3P sales. Most consumers going into buying a Tesla for the first time probably aren't even aware of the Track Mode capability to begin with.
I know I'm way out of mainstream, but Track Mode was by far the biggest reason I bought an M3P over an M3LR. And I have no plans to track this car ever.

(I have done track days in past sporty cars, and I'd like to take up the hobby again someday time+money willing. So yes I'm out of mainstream! If that happens it'll probably be with an old ICE sports car though, not my M3P.)