Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from a S to a 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at making the opposite move. Having driven the S, the biggest compromises I immediately noticed going back to the 3 after the test drive:
- The interior is nowhere near as nice. Less sound insulation, less luxurious materials, more basic layout.
- Less range, less storage
- Sound system isn't as good. Still decent, but without the acoustic glass and fewer speakers, it feels surprisingly muddled.
- Losing 40% of your centre screen to the info that was on the cluster makes it feel smaller. Passenger interacting with music/menu settings hides your map/route/music whereas the S has it on the cluster.
- Lack of a sportback trunk makes hauling larger things a lot harder.
Bonuses of the 3:
- Handling is superior on the Performance.
- Can't beat the price/value (cheaper tires too)

I'll echo EVRider-FL -- if you just need to get around town, the 3 is fine. I do a lot of long distance driving (5-7 hours) and having the extra range (especially in the winter), more storage, and much better overall comfort makes the S an easy win.

I will chime in to emphasize that the ride quality on the current S is far superior to the 3/Y, handles both high speed undulations and pockmarked city streets with much more comfort and control.

I've had a 22 Model S, a 17 Model S, and both a 21 Model 3 and 22 Model Y.

If I could only have one it would be the 22 MY, following by the 17 MS.

I cannot go back to a Model 3, it's just too small after living with the larger options.

Went from 2016 75D to 2021 3awd LR, which is built better. I am missing a sunroof, and bio weapon defense mode. What I like is: better seats than pre 2019 S, longer range, quiet roof rails, longer tire life, FSD, awesome sound system (way better than standard sound in older S).
Driving - wise I prefer S, by a slim margin: 1) ESP allows more freedom in snow and slip on S, and is annoying in these conditions on 3. 2) raven and later has more comfortable suspension 3) accelerator is mapped more responsive on 3 4) physical controls for wipers on pre-paid S. Both cars are fun, though!

Ok I’ve driven a few prev gen S’s…2016 90D, 2017 P100D, 2018 100D…leased. The 100D driven until end of 2021 and shifted into a 2022 M3 LR w/ABoost.

Positives to M3:

- lighter for point and shoot handling. I’m running 20” Perf rims/tires on the 3 Vs the 21” arachnids on the S and there is no compassion to handling. The 3 is a funner experience here and the S felt boaty in comparison.
- longer range 570km to 525km
- the power of the ABoost makes this car a sheer joy to me. Coming out of turns, the car is planted and simply handles like a car 2000lbs lighter than it is.
- more efficient ie. drinks less kw per Km
- door pockets
- wireless phone chargers
- sound system is fantastic. Encompassing, solid bass at all vol levels and imly refuses to distort. The S was far inferior here. The new 2022 S I’ve driven and listened to in my friends SLR and tbh we both feel the 3 sound stage is cleaner and crisper. 🤷🏽‍♂️
-dual pane windows on the 3 made it about as quiet as the 2018 S was. Also no front motor whine
- higher back seats for kids legs and knees.
- no shudder or suspension half shaft issues on the 3. Infant no issues whatsoever for a year now
- keep my psi to 38/39 and find it soaks up road imperfections better. Not as comfortable as the S however it’s decent.
- easier to park.
-0-100 in 3.7

Positives to MS:

- comfort/touring suspension. We had air susp so it felt more cushion. The 21” arachnids muted the overall ride comfort though in favour of some extra handing and lighter unsprung weight.
- pano sunroof. Nothing like open sunlight streaming in. Sadly not avail on any teslas.
- firmer next gen seats with better side bolstering
- physical side mirror controls and wiper stalk
- rear.litfgate. This made the S as practical as any SUV for cargo/storage.
- dash screen customizable to any config. This I heard has also been removed?
- larger leg room front and rear
- looks wise WAY better at all angles
- a more refined / touring drive….comfort over handling.
- 0-100 in 3.7 but felt slower than the 3.
Likely due to a more refined throttle mapping.

I know many say the new S is far superior in interior finish. I agree somewhat in that department but the 3 is not that far off once the dash wood/trim extended into the door frames in 2021.

Would I go back to a prev gen S over a new 3? Never. Would I prefer a new S over a new 3? Sure..who wouldn’t?

Pprice M3LR - 64k cnd
Pprice MS100D - 128k cnd

Literally double the price. Double the car? No.
Todays pricing of 2023 S LR I’m seeing 112-115k inventory Vs M3 LRange inventory for 72k. Now the price differential is more sensible …favouring the S.

Many fellow tesla buddies and some of the SC staff I got to know over the years said I’d never be able to make the switch lol. It took me 2 days to get used to only one screen and then I never looked back. I actually prefer the cleaner minimalist design of the 3 and the drive.’

However we also made the decision to purchase a 3LR AND an MYPerf for almost the price of one new SLR. We now have 2 for 1 lol. The Y provides all the room, luggage, storage we need with 2 teens and their long legs, plus larger interior than the 3, lift gate, reclining rear seats, way better visibility than the S or 3 and a more refined drive than the 3.

The S is essentially a 3 and Y combined into one awesome package. If we had one car to own, the new S would likely take it. But the M3 is again the most enjoyable daily car to drive of the 3 models.

(Disclaimer: plaid is..well…plaid. Diff animal and cannot compare here lol )

4E4B3D65-D66D-482C-9BF8-75A27A1B1B4A.jpeg
1B9E078A-03F7-4287-BF97-D3E184044598.jpeg
8CA720B9-31A1-4AF7-BCA0-1E9AA05E17C6.jpeg

Last edited:
I live somewhere famous for rain but where it actually rains less than, say, Iowa. The wiper arrangement alone in the 3/Y would test my sanity.

Both the 3 and Y we tested last month as a potential change for my wife (long story) felt strangely snappier than the S and were a total hoot to drive, the small wheel, disappearing nose and closeness of the blacktop making everything feel like an Xbox game.

But the ride quality wasn't up to much and my wife thinks the 3 looks like a frog, the Y a frog with fluid retention. The S might be big and old but it's still the more fetching driveway ornament, and with the seats down swallowed the large oak dresser I bought on eBay last week, thus endearing itself to me even more. Can't do that in a saloon.

Despite its numerous foibles, for me the S is an exceptionally hard car to replace. If you have a family of five and cover long distances on regular road trips there is nothing on the market quite like it.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I live somewhere famous for rain but where it actually rains less than, say, Iowa. The wiper arrangement alone in the 3/Y would test my sanity.

Both the 3 and Y we tested last month as a potential change for my wife (long story) felt strangely snappier than the S and were a total hoot to drive, the small wheel, disappearing nose and closeness of the blacktop making everything feel like an Xbox game.

But the ride quality wasn't up to much and my wife thinks the 3 looks like a frog, the Y a frog with fluid retention. The S might be big and old but it's still the more fetching driveway ornament, and with the seats down swallowed the large oak dresser I bought on eBay last week, thus endearing itself to me even more. Can't do that in a saloon.

Despite its numerous foibles, for me the S is an exceptionally hard car to replace. If you have a family of five and cover long distances on regular road trips there is nothing on the market quite like it.
I do agree ….the S served my family well for years and looks wise is about the sexiest piece of EV metal driving on the road lol.

Wipers wise …you just leave it in auto or push the left stalk button once for manual wipe and the wiper settings come up anyway in front of you if you need a diff setting.

Comfort wise the stock psi settings for the 3/Y are way too harsh imo. Reducing from 44 to 38/39 takes care of alot of that.

Wheels size…well the 3 we have 20” and the Y 21” so comparable that way. Our Y actually has 295/35 rears and 275/35 fronts so more rubber than stock and helps with eve more ride comfort.

Turtle vs sexy…yep. 150% agree lol .