Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on a 500 mile trip and the car and ABRP are totally different. Looking for advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My avg watts per mile ended up being round trip were 267 and cruise control set to 80 pretty much the whole time.
Both driving out of town and coming back there's issues in Buckeye and Indio. It ends up taking about 10 minutes longer than the car states. Buckeye would only get 70 something kw and same with Indio. On the way home I made a extra stop so I also charged in Glendale and Eloy. Eloy had amazing speed.
I'm going again next weekend and wish I could bypass Buckeye, plus with all the construction there it just takes much longer.
@267w/mi you can do the math yourself - if you are 100% SOC at departure - you have roughly 50,000 watts to play with -

If you want to arrive at a supercharger with 10% charge - then you have 187 miles to play with - so yeah you might have to stop in either Buckeye or consider Gila Bend - Gila Bend is never busy - and then you go to El Centro - and charge it there - and then hit up the supercharger in Temecula - none of those last two are usually that busy either - once you stop in Temecula and charge to 80% its only 70 miles to Anaheim and you'll have lots of local access to destination chargers and the DCFC - also - check the DCFC CCS stations from Electrify America - they cost basically the same and might give you a little bit higher charge rate =-

The 250 mile range of the Model 3 Standard is pretty limiting for long trips

Last edited:
@267w/mi you can do the math yourself - if you are 100% SOC at departure - you have roughly 50,000 watts to play with -

If you want to arrive at a supercharger with 10% charge - then you have 187 miles to play with - so yeah you might have to stop in either Buckeye or consider Gila Bend - Gila Bend is never busy - and then you go to El Centro - and charge it there - and then hit up the supercharger in Temecula - none of those last two are usually that busy either - once you stop in Temecula and charge to 80% its only 70 miles to Anaheim and you'll have lots of local access to destination chargers and the DCFC - also - check the DCFC CCS stations from Electrify America - they cost basically the same and might give you a little bit higher charge rate =-

My usable kw at 100% per Scan My Tesla says 46.1 so 172 miles range to 0%.
So I have to stop in Buckeye, if I went through Gila Bend and Temecula, it would take a lot longer to get to Anaheim Hills.
Hopefully next weekend I can get one of those 250kw stations in Buckeye.

So I have to stop in Buckeye, if I went through Gila Bend and Temecula, it would take a lot longer to get to Anaheim Hills.
You are saying your car only has 172 mile range. Doesn't sound correct. My son has a short range M3, and he's seeing around 265mi for 100% SOC.

Reactions: comanchepilot
I hear ya - but 172 miles of range seems low. . . . and as for total travel time - well - there is a lot less traffic on I8 than I10 - and traffic from PSP to OC can be a real bear - I've seen it back up by Whitewater and be bumper to bumper at 25mph or so all the way to the 60 split.

As for total net range - drive up to Phoenix and make a loop of the superchargers noting the remaining range when you get there - this way you can always make it to another one - and confirm your 267wh/mi. . . .

Could do things to optimize like slow down 5mph, increase tire pressure by 2-3lbs, and manage weight of bags/cargo. 267 seems high. Aim for 255-260 @ 75mph. Let autopilot manage to avoid unnecessary changes in speed.

You are saying your car only has 172 mile range. Doesn't sound correct. My son has a short range M3, and he's seeing around 265mi for 100% SOC.
In town I can can get better than the advertised rage of about 205 watts per mile (240 miles). I usually avg 185 watts per mile during the week.
But freeway driving I’m averaging 267 watts at 80mph or so, the 172 miles is my range on the freeway.