Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going on a road trip very soon, is there any way to get the CCS adapter at a Service Cener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going on a road trip on Tuesday of this week, and excuse my poor planning, but I was supposed to order the CCS to Tesla adapter for this trip but I put it off and forgot. Is there any way I can go to my service center and they maybe could have one in stock, or is there any other way to get one?

I think only if they have the store connected
In NY we don’t have it

amazon has it for 2 day ship
Have it delivered to your destination
1690758930302.png

Reactions: BitJam and baguette
Upvote 0
Make sure your car is CCS enabled. I don’t know if early model Y’s had it by default.
All model Ys have CCS enabled except about a 3 or 4 month period during the summer of '21 (supposedly chip shortage). My aug 2020 build is only a few months from the startup and I have CCS. Used it a number of times.

Go to software -> Additional Vehicle Information

If will display CCS adapter support: Enabled if you have it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Plan ahead if there is a destination without a Tesla Supercharger
Use ABRP to check that area for non Tesla chargers
1690767791812.png

pick the majority brand and load their app/CC
Then test that app and brand charger locally before you go if possible, this will eliminate most stress being an unfamiliar brand

For me the brand I picked was EVGO
I tested locally using rhe CCS
Then on my trip I was prepared

Upvote 0
I think PlugShare is better than ABRP for that.

It depends on where you're going of course but I think the alternate apps/providers
are EA
then ChargePoint
and finally EVGO

Personal experience of course but I have not had good experience with EVGO. Chargepoint gets knocked for me because I rarely see DC fast. Much more level 2. People complain about EA but for me it has been the best alternative. Of course none come up overall to the Tesla supercharger netweork.

Upvote 0
My EVGO pick was that all of the brands only had L2
The EVGO was 30kw L3
:(
ChargePoint has DC fast but not around me. EA seems to have mostly fast but I have seen a couple J1772. I recently went to an EA in salina, ks that had several 350kw CCS chargers - Casey's General Store | Salina, KS | EV Station at a decent stop (Casey's market), bathrooms etc. over the slower supercharger -
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salina | Salina, KS | EV Station without the amenities. I had to go 2 miles off route but probably made up the time in charging speed. Or would have if I hadn't started yapping to an Australian charging his VW.

My biggest complaint about EVGO is while I haven't used them a lot I think my success rate is about 25%. That's per attempt. Never had a charger failure where I couldn't pick a different stall and get a charge although sometimes it takes 3 shots.

Upvote 0