Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2023.44.30.8 hung up - Service Center trip required??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my Model Y late November 2023 and it has done several updates since then with no problems. About 10 days ago it downloaded 2023.44.30.8 and the car display shows "downloading 2023.44.30.8", a full green bar and 0 B/s. The app. shows "downloading 2023.44.30.8 (100%) and a spinning wheel. I tried steering wheel reboot and changing tire size reboot and no change. I put in a service request outline the above and it said I would be contacted "shortly". After over a week of waiting I called Tesla and they said they would send a text to the Jacksonville service desk to contact me. Two days later with no contact I suddenly got a message that a service appointment had been set up for a month from now!

Is that the way they normally respond to a request? I would have thought that they might have contacted me and tried to reboot it from their end (I've seen many posts saying that was done) or at least say "hey, we tried to fix it and unfortunately it has to come in for service". I'm just a bit confused about how their system works.

My trailer hitch wiring controller was bad at delivery (great QC) and it took over a month and 6 hours at the service center to get that fixed (they replaced the entire hitch with a new one to fix the controller). The service center is an 80 mile one-way trip so it's not the most convenient thing.

Have others had to go to the service center to fix hung up downloads?

Is 5 to 6 weeks the standard for fixing Tesla's? I really like the car but if this is the standard, I'm not sure I'll do this again.

I have exactly the same problem! Just posted a new thread to ask for help! Now I am not alone.

Maybe I will just contact service center and turn off Wi-Fi. This update is unnecessary for me but it's updating automatically and now it stucks there and drain the battery.
Turning off WI-Fi will only work until the next drive. I went to the Wi-Fi and had it Forget my Wi-Fi network. That works until you add it again. My car was loosing about 5 to 6% per day because of the problem. With Wi-Fi OFF by forgetting my network it looses maybe 1% at most. That's just a total waste of electricity so I'd suggest you tell it to Forget your Wi-Fi, otherwise you will have to turn it off continuously.

Still no word from the service center - I sent a message on 1/28/24 asking if it could be done by mobile service since it's a 160+ mile round trip for me and they responded "your vehicle is still in technical review at this time, they will let you know if mobile service is an option." That was on 1/29/24 - no further response yet.

Upvote 0
I successfully 'solved' this issue(with the help from other post) by entering service mode and reinstalling the software. At least now it seems back to normal. No more hanging up, not even an upgrade. Car/software works fine. You can try that to see.
I'm a bit reluctant to do that. It seems to me that I remembering seeing that screen and it said something about not using that process unless some controller or hardware item had been replaced. Since nothing has been replaced I don't want to do something that might make the issue worse or make the car undrivable. I just deleted my Wi-Fi from the car so it doesn't try and connect and ignore it now.

I did ask thru the app if there was something I could try to possibly resolve it and received no response. Seems if entering service mode and reinstalling was a proper fix they would tell me and save everybody a lot of time??? They work in mysterious ways!

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem: no software updates were applied, and the battery drained 6-8% per day. Other symptoms were contactor activation every few hours (presumably charging the 12V battery) and the inability to reset using the steering wheel controls. Resetting by changing the wheel size appeared to work, but had no positive effect.

Contacting Tesla service resulted in repeated rounds of 'connect to WiFi, here is the video', with no apparent understanding of what I had written or tracking of my prior requests. I knew that wasn't the problem. I could observe the vehicle's connection to my WiFi. It connected immediately when arriving at home. Watching YouTube and Netflix in my driveway would pass traffic through the WiFi router, along with modest overnight data use. But that information was ignored.

It was only after I had the paper letter about last year's recall that I had a resolution. The letter said that the recall should already have been applied, which I repeatedly referred to. Tesla service reluctantly scheduled an appointment with a 'customer is (incompetent) to connect to their WiFi' note, rather than listing the recall as the reason. Of course the "this shouldn't take long" appointment cascaded into "we will the vehicle overnight for remote diagnosis", and eventually swapping out the computer.

Tesla had all of the information they needed to do a better job with this. Even if they didn't use remote telemetry for individual diagnosis, their update server certainly had the information about which vehicles had connected for updates, and which were repeatedly failing to update. That especially should have been tracked for the recall updates. But they should be using that information even for the non-recall software updates in order to understand when their OTA update process is failing. And they absolutely should be using it before scheduling service appointments.

Reactions: red-min-t
Upvote 0
Chuanren - When you reinstalled the software, did the version get updated to 2023.44.30.8?
Just checked, yes, it's the latest 2023.44.30.8 after I reinstalled the software.

So my guess is, the updated software has been fully downloaded to the car, but somehow, the installation never initiated(seems to me the car thinks it's not done downloading). By doing software reinstallation, it is forced to install the update.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I performed the s/w reinstalled last night, but no luck. It still asks to download to the latest then hangs like before. I guess I'll wait till Tesla tries to reinstall the update remotely.
Sorry to hear that it didn't work. Based on people having same issue and scheduled by service, Tesla thinks it's the hardware issue(which I am not convinced) and will replace the computer of the car. So be patient and wait for them to schedule the service for you. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Dr D - How did it go? I'm still hung. They said they would remote update my car but no word.
They tried remote update on mine but it failed and they said it had to come to service center.

I took it in on Tuesday @ 2:30 pm and they said per the notes from their previous on-line fix attempt they said it was firmware related and would not be done that day. They sent me home in a loaner. Finally got a "Service complete - ready for pickup" about 4pm on Thursday but was too late for me to pick up due to my schedule so I picked it up Friday AM.

The service notes say "Found onboard vehicle computer to be unable to succeed an software update. diagnosed and found vehicle computer was suffering an condition. was able to successfully able to recover and vehicle is able to succeed software updates. no further repairs are recommended at this time."

That quote is verbatim :rolleyes: so maybe it had to be serviced thru the network shown in the attached image. 🤣🤣

I don't have a clue what was actually done to it, but I did periodically see that the door was open on the app for the two days it was in the shop so they must have been working on it.

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: red-min-t
Upvote 0
They tried remote update on mine but it failed and they said it had to come to service center.

I took it in on Tuesday @ 2:30 pm and they said per the notes from their previous on-line fix attempt they said it was firmware related and would not be done that day. They sent me home in a loaner. Finally got a "Service complete - ready for pickup" about 4pm on Thursday but was too late for me to pick up due to my schedule so I picked it up Friday AM.

The service notes say "Found onboard vehicle computer to be unable to succeed an software update. diagnosed and found vehicle computer was suffering an condition. was able to successfully able to recover and vehicle is able to succeed software updates. no further repairs are recommended at this time."

That quote is verbatim :rolleyes: so maybe it had to be serviced thru the network shown in the attached image. 🤣🤣

I don't have a clue what was actually done to it, but I did periodically see that the door was open on the app for the two days it was in the shop so they must have been working on it.
Basically, it's a pure software issue, as explained by their engineer. The service center people first just filled in an awful internet signal reason, and I told them I am a software engineer too and the reason is just bullshit. Then some engineer called me later to give me detail explanation. It's just a bug in their firmware which causes cashe/corrupted files build-up after a few OTA updates(like 4-5 updates even if it claimed successful) then it corrupted the whole system(to update, fortunately not other problems). The fix is also relatively simple, just to clear the system then flush everything from scratch with latest firmware(again, user profile, data and settings are stored separately so that part won't be affected). So far my system works great without issue after the fix, just got another OTA update, no problem at all.

Reactions: DonaldBecker
Upvote 0
So my FSD 3 month trial expired yesterday and now a software update available to 2024.2.7 (I currently have 2023.44.30.8). From what I can deduce from some of the comments on this post if I update to 2024.2.7 that might delay availability of FSD V12. If that is the case can I not do the update? It seems to have scheduled it already if I don't do it now manually. How do you not do the update if that is possible?

Also I drove today with Autopilot for the first time and it seemed to me to be smoother than FSD and I didn't get any phantom braking or braking for cars at intersections which was very common with FSD. Sure it won't follow a nav path but not sure that is a big deal. Enhanced autopilot might be nice but I don't see any subscription basis offering for it - just a $6,000 that's not gonna happen for me. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I successfully 'solved' this issue(with the help from other post) by entering service mode and reinstalling the software. At least now it seems back to normal. No more hanging up, not even an upgrade. Car/software works fine. You can try that to see.
Wow, from reading this thread, we are all having the same problem. We bought cars in Nov, 2023 and they are not accepting this update. I have a MYLR with 7500 miles I purchased in Jax, FL in Nov, 2023. This was the first software update I have ever had an issue with. My FSD package expired after 3 months, I wonder if we all have that same thing in common? Could it have to do with the FSD being disabled after our free 3 month trial? Anyway, I watched YouTube before finding this thread and did the same as CHUANREN20. In the car, went into service mode and reinstalled software. After that, it did not show the download pending at 100%, but when I went to the software page it seemed to be stuck where it shows checking for updates, it was pending and grayed out. I then did the steering wheel soft reboot and when it finished the soft reboot everything was back to normal. It showed Software Up to Date as of current time. No pending updates.

Upvote 0
Chuanren20 were you able to get this done over the phone with Tesla or did you take car into dealer? I am now having the same problem with update 2024.2.7 stuck at 50%. Thank you so much for updating us on your efforts to get this fixed!
I took it to the service center(with an appointment), you can't do this by yourself. They will figure out what to do. So far, I've had couple of updates after the fix, no issues.

Upvote 0
Interesting - same symptoms yet they said they tried to fix mine on-line and were unable and took basically 2 days at service center to fix.????
Three different people tried to fix the problem on line and were unable. They scheduled a service visit 2 1/2 hours away. The next day I got a call from "senior" technician who had done several already and knew what to do, so did it ota.

I've run into this before. Tesla should put out a tech bulletin on something like this so the locals will know not to waste hours of their time doing something which can be handled ota. It would have saved Tesla about three hours labor and much aggravation on my part.

Upvote 0
Three different people tried to fix the problem on line and were unable. They scheduled a service visit 2 1/2 hours away. The next day I got a call from "senior" technician who had done several already and knew what to do, so did it ota.

I've run into this before. Tesla should put out a tech bulletin on something like this so the locals will know not to waste hours of their time doing something which can be handled ota. It would have saved Tesla about three hours labor and much aggravation on my part.
I agree - they ought to share those types of fixes between service centers. I had to make two 3.5 hour round trips and put about 400 miles with free charging on their loaner for something that, at least from your experience could have been fixed OTA. OTA would have save both them and me time and $$

Upvote 0