Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2023.44.30.8 hung up - Service Center trip required??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my Model Y late November 2023 and it has done several updates since then with no problems. About 10 days ago it downloaded 2023.44.30.8 and the car display shows "downloading 2023.44.30.8", a full green bar and 0 B/s. The app. shows "downloading 2023.44.30.8 (100%) and a spinning wheel. I tried steering wheel reboot and changing tire size reboot and no change. I put in a service request outline the above and it said I would be contacted "shortly". After over a week of waiting I called Tesla and they said they would send a text to the Jacksonville service desk to contact me. Two days later with no contact I suddenly got a message that a service appointment had been set up for a month from now!

Is that the way they normally respond to a request? I would have thought that they might have contacted me and tried to reboot it from their end (I've seen many posts saying that was done) or at least say "hey, we tried to fix it and unfortunately it has to come in for service". I'm just a bit confused about how their system works.

My trailer hitch wiring controller was bad at delivery (great QC) and it took over a month and 6 hours at the service center to get that fixed (they replaced the entire hitch with a new one to fix the controller). The service center is an 80 mile one-way trip so it's not the most convenient thing.

Have others had to go to the service center to fix hung up downloads?

Is 5 to 6 weeks the standard for fixing Tesla's? I really like the car but if this is the standard, I'm not sure I'll do this again.

I purchased my Model Y late November 2023 and it has done several updates since then with no problems. About 10 days ago it downloaded 2023.44.30.8 and the car display shows "downloading 2023.44.30.8", a full green bar and 0 B/s. The app. shows "downloading 2023.44.30.8 (100%) and a spinning wheel. I tried steering wheel reboot and changing tire size reboot and no change. I put in a service request outline the above and it said I would be contacted "shortly". After over a week of waiting I called Tesla and they said they would send a text to the Jacksonville service desk to contact me. Two days later with no contact I suddenly got a message that a service appointment had been set up for a month from now!

Is that the way they normally respond to a request? I would have thought that they might have contacted me and tried to reboot it from their end (I've seen many posts saying that was done) or at least say "hey, we tried to fix it and unfortunately it has to come in for service". I'm just a bit confused about how their system works.

My trailer hitch wiring controller was bad at delivery (great QC) and it took over a month and 6 hours at the service center to get that fixed (they replaced the entire hitch with a new one to fix the controller). The service center is an 80 mile one-way trip so it's not the most convenient thing.

Have others had to go to the service center to fix hung up downloads?

Is 5 to 6 weeks the standard for fixing Tesla's? I really like the car but if this is the standard, I'm not sure I'll do this again.
Usually, a Service Center would re-push the software remotely so you don't need to physically be at the repair shop.

Repair time are usually reasonable unless there's something like part shortages due to the pandemic...

Delayed repair is for your advantage if you can drive your loaner to the max while your own car's odometer doesn't age another mile.

It's another story if you don't have a loaner.

Upvote 0
Finally got some communication back from Tesla last night - their attempts to remotely address the problem were unsuccessful so a service appointment is required. It just would have just been nice to get that communication before, out of the blue they schedule the service appointment. Just seems a bit out of order.

The service order noted "update vehicle software to incorporate additional Autosteer Controls" so apparently there is something else they need to do besides fix the software download hangup.

Upvote 0
Finally got some communication back from Tesla last night - their attempts to remotely address the problem were unsuccessful so a service appointment is required. It just would have just been nice to get that communication before, out of the blue they schedule the service appointment. Just seems a bit out of order.

The service order noted "update vehicle software to incorporate additional Autosteer Controls" so apparently there is something else they need to do besides fix the software download hangup.
I'm in the same boat as you, mine has been stuck for about 2 weeks. Have you had the service appointment? If so, what was their resolution?

Upvote 0

Additional autosteer controls is the recall, from what I can tell. It’s just the firmware update.

Upvote 0
Yes, car is driveable - first available service appointment was 2/20/24 so got another month to wait.

Only issue I have seen that doesn't seem right is power consumption. It charged to 75% last night and has been in garage all day today and after 20 hours the level is down to 70%. Car has been parked since it was charged, locked, & sentry mode is off. The only thing I can figure is something to do with WIFI may be keeping the car awake?? Don't really know, but temperature here in Florida has been in high 70's to low 80's all day today so it's certainly not from being cold. Anybody have any thoughts on this consumption. Never seen that much in a day parked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, car is driveable - first available service appointment was 2/20/24 so got another month to wait.

Only issue I have seen that doesn't seem right is power consumption. It charged to 75% last night and has been in garage all day today and after 20 hours the level is down to 70%. Car has been parked since it was charged, locked, & sentry mode is off. The only thing I can figure is something to do with WIFI may be keeping the car awake?? Don't really know, but temperature here in Florida has been in high 70's to low 80's all day today so it's certainly not from being cold. Anybody have any thoughts on this consumption. Never seen that much in a day parked.
From a software/computer POV, if there’s a race condition that’s prevented the software update from completing then the computer might just be cycling continuously trying to resolve it (but since it’s a race condition it can’t)…but that’s purely a guess (and not really an educated once since I don’t anything about their software/hardware stack). Is there a way to delete the software update that’s been downloaded but not installed? If there is, I’d try that and force a fresh download…

Upvote 0

I'm glad you mentioned the idle power consumption, especially in warm weather. Although temperatures in VA have been frigid, the idle power consumption appears to be more than usual, but I couldn't confirm. I'll keep WiFi off until I get a response from the Tesla app for action.

Upvote 0

How hot is it in the garage? Could the battery or interior be cooling?

Upvote 0
I'm glad you mentioned the idle power consumption, especially in warm weather. Although temperatures in VA have been frigid, the idle power consumption appears to be more than usual, but I couldn't confirm. I'll keep WiFi off until I get a response from the Tesla app for action.
Keeping the WiFi off is a bit of a pain as the car turns it back ON every time you drive it - I did it overnight and consumption was less - just a pain to keep turning it off. Range is no issue for me so I just leave it plugged in when not in use.

Upvote 0
Keeping the WiFi off is a bit of a pain as the car turns it back ON every time you drive it - I did it overnight and consumption was less - just a pain to keep turning it off. Range is no issue for me so I just leave it plugged in when not in use.
Forget the ssid. Sure, have to join and enter the password in the future. But it will keep it from joining.

Upvote 0