Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to SC for Control Arm SB - Should I Remove my Unplugged Lowering Brackets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2018
TX
Update: The SB mentioned is not active anymore, so the post is misleading, the car has been otherwise repaired.

Hey folks, I'm taking my 2016 P90D in for SB-17-31-001. This involves replacing the front lower control arms due to cracked bushings caused by a bad manufacturing batch.

I noticed the ripped bushings when I took my car in for an alignment, and the caster was WAY different on both sides.

My question is - I have Unplugged Performance Lowering Brackets on my car. Should I remove the lowering brackets before going in for service?

In reality, they're in no way related to the failure. But, I know Tesla is super shady about honoring warranty with aftermarket parts. While this issue is SB related and should just be a quick in-and-out, I don't want to be dicked around and asked to pay because I have lowering brackets installed.

Ideally, I'm looking for advice from folks who have had warranty work done with aftermarket stuff installed. I've never had a problem in these situations with BMW, Chevy, and Toyota, but Tesla has a bad rep in this area.

The Service Bulletin in question: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10110741-9999.pdf

And this is what the problem looks like:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 26, 2018
TX
Update for everyone - I spoke with a former Tesla Service Tech, and he STRONGLY advised removing all relevent aftermarket components when going in to the SC.

According to him, there's a HUGE focus on minimizing expenses (especially with stock back in the $400's) and warranty cost is a big line item there. And if a tech notices something and marks it down, they will push to refuse work under warranty.

So, I went ahead and put my car back to stock for my service appointment - even though this is an existing service bulletin for a known issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC