Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to SC for Control Arm SB - Should I Remove my Unplugged Lowering Brackets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: The SB mentioned is not active anymore, so the post is misleading, the car has been otherwise repaired.

Hey folks, I'm taking my 2016 P90D in for SB-17-31-001. This involves replacing the front lower control arms due to cracked bushings caused by a bad manufacturing batch.

I noticed the ripped bushings when I took my car in for an alignment, and the caster was WAY different on both sides.

My question is - I have Unplugged Performance Lowering Brackets on my car. Should I remove the lowering brackets before going in for service?

In reality, they're in no way related to the failure. But, I know Tesla is super shady about honoring warranty with aftermarket parts. While this issue is SB related and should just be a quick in-and-out, I don't want to be dicked around and asked to pay because I have lowering brackets installed.

Ideally, I'm looking for advice from folks who have had warranty work done with aftermarket stuff installed. I've never had a problem in these situations with BMW, Chevy, and Toyota, but Tesla has a bad rep in this area.

The Service Bulletin in question: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10110741-9999.pdf

And this is what the problem looks like:

Last edited by a moderator:
Update for everyone - I spoke with a former Tesla Service Tech, and he STRONGLY advised removing all relevent aftermarket components when going in to the SC.

According to him, there's a HUGE focus on minimizing expenses (especially with stock back in the $400's) and warranty cost is a big line item there. And if a tech notices something and marks it down, they will push to refuse work under warranty.

So, I went ahead and put my car back to stock for my service appointment - even though this is an existing service bulletin for a known issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.