Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good experience getting snow tires mounted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered new snow tires from Tire Rack and had them installed today at Discount Tire (which I guess is known as America's Tire Store in California). I was nervous because it's a Tesla, and kind of knew that things were a little different, but wasn't quite sure what to be worried about (or if I should be worried).

They seemed to know exactly what they were doing. They had me drive the vehicle into the bay myself (because Covid, I think), then he reminded me to put it into Jack Mode (which I didn't think of, because I'm a newbie). Rather than using the big floor lifts, they used 4 individual jacks, which I could see were definitely on the correct mounting points. They inflated the tires to 47 psi (why not 45, I'm not sure... but at least it wasn't the 'standard' 35 psi), and I even saw them using a torque wrench.

So I felt pretty good about it. Maybe since these cars have been out for a few years now, the big shops know what they are doing by now.

Reactions: f205v and EVortex
I use Discount Tire a lot (up in Northern Colorado aka Canada) on all of my Teslas and have always had great service. I also trust that if I'm ever traveling somewhere and have an issue a local Discount Tire will be just as friendly and helpful. They almost always seem to know how to handle a Tesla with much input or instruction from me which I really appreciate. Whenever you have to explain things to shops like this it's less than confidence inspiring.

There was a brand new Discount Tire up here near Johnstown that had just opened their doors for business that week and a couple of the employees seemed less knowledgeable about the car which I wasn't super excited about. The problem was it was a Sunday and I had to drive down to Denver and had just discovered that my tires weren't trip-worthy. I needed a pair swapped out and just happened to have two of the exact same tire on-hand with more tread. I needed to have the scary two taken off and the used pair put on. The one I use in Fort Collins was happy to do it but didn't have any time until later that day. He suggested I call that new one & even gave me the # since it wasn't even in Google yet. I had one guy tell me that I should replace all four tires since it's AWD because, and I quote: "the differential in these is really expensive so you may cause damage to it by running different tread depth tires so I'd advice getting a new set of 4 as soon as you can" which is pretty funny considering these cars are direct drive through an archaic open differential that doesn't have the same issue a LSD on newer cars may. Whatever.

The basics with Teslas are to 1) make sure they use the pucks to engage the jack points as it's important to ensure the packs/rails aren't damaged even if they use the proper locations since they're different than normal cars and 2) put the car in jack mode via the menu. Sounds like you now know about the second one. Other than that, the only real differences are that you need to make sure a wheel is rated for a Tesla's weight if you go aftermarket and you'll chew through tires WAY more often due to said weight and power output. This is why you'll want to get on good terms with a tire shop as you'll be visiting them twice as often as you normally would most likely. It's also wise to rotate the tires far more frequently too. I rotate mine every 3k on my Model S's now and even had employees confirm that's about the right miles on these cars. It's a good thing they do it for free!

make sure they use the pucks to engage the jack points as it's important to ensure the packs/rails aren't damaged even if they use the proper locations since they're different than normal cars

I know I've read about these pucks on other threads. Is this something they would have? A regular old hockey puck? Or....?

Should I be concerned that they didn't use anything like that? At least I don't think they did, now I'm wishing I took a picture.

Agreed on the pucks. I picked up similiar to the amazon ones and they tend to be a tad easier as the nub fits into the hole to stay in place as you lift the jack upwards onto the puck. But, I still usually have to kneel down a bit to ensure the jack cup is completely centered onto the puck, so in hindsight, basic hockey pucks from walmart would do just fine. I keep the set of 4 in the bag in my trunk

Reactions: COS Blue
glad it went well
FYI for future...most tire places will match the pricing of Tire Rack. Saves you the hassle of shipping

I've never found a shop that'll even order my pirelli sottozero winters, and for summer tires nobody will compete with tirerack. Been told by a few different shops "if you can get them cheaper somewhere else the do it" almost like telling a drunk friend 'no balls". Sure as *sugar* i get them on tirerack and then bring them in for the shop to do the change with the "you thought i was kidding" look. Its odd most business would rather make a little money than make none but i guess these folks are a special brand of dumbass.

Besides shipping is free from tirerack, or at least every order i've made with them in the last 8 years has had free shipping.

• Funny
Reactions: COS Blue