Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good or Bad Sign? Picking up MY this Tuesday, June 30.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a MY LR White/White with Tow Hitch. Expected delivery 4-8 weeks.

June 22, 2020 - Placed order online
June 23, 2020 - Confirmation of Order with Tesla
June 24, 2020 - SMS Text for preparation for pickup by end of June
June 28, 2020 - Received VIN Number in System & appointment to pickup vehicle on June 30

Either they're really pushing production, sales are stagnant, getting someone else's cancellation, or I'll end up with a vehicle with a bunch of build issues.

Wish me luck on my pickup this Tuesday. Will ask and see if deliveries are above or below average quarterly deliveries, if they'll tell me that.

I placed an order for a MY LR White/White with Tow Hitch. Expected delivery 4-8 weeks.

June 28, 2020 - Received VIN Number in System & appointment to pickup vehicle on June 30

Either they're really pushing production, sales are stagnant, getting someone else's cancellation, or I'll end up with a vehicle with a bunch of build issues.

Wish me luck on my pickup this Tuesday. Will ask and see if deliveries are above or below average quarterly deliveries, if they'll tell me that.
You're getting your car way earlier than the projected time frame. Usually that is a win-win situation yet one can't help but to question the process and already expecting the worst.

I blame this forum for the negative notion it sets to all upcoming owners. Shame.....

Don't over analyze. Bring back that same excitement you had when you clicked on that "buy now - take my money already" button.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: aburrows
If your Y is of recent VINtage, I wouldn't worry. Not that a lower VIN means it was built earlier, but you should check the build date to make sure it wasn't a reject/resell that they had laying around or a "demo" unit like they sometimes try to pass off.

It's not good or bad. You live closer to the factory. They are taking some people's cars who are on the east coast and reassigning them to people on the west coast, to ensure delivery and sales numbers for Q2.

I know this because we had a VIN and delivery scheduled for June 30th and no longer have a car.

It's a gamble right now, especially with white. I rejected my white Y last week as one back door was a completely different shade to the front door.

I'm now back in the queue and hoping my second spin of the quality wheel gets me an acceptable car...

Take a look at my pictures on the paint thread. At least you'll know what to look for.

Good luck.

Received our MY in the Phoenix AZ area on 6/24, Vin 177XX, with tow hitch.

Panel/doors gaps were not “great”, but when I got home and looked at it next to our 2014 Volt, the volt had worse body/door panel alignment than the Y at the front fenders, and I had never really noticed.

I’m not giving Tesla a pass, as a Solar and PW owner I’ve expressed my frustration on these forums more than a few times with their service and responses to issues we had with those systems when first installed just less than a year ago (we had a 10 week outage).

However, with our MY we may have gotten lucky, interior looked flawless, No rattles so far this weekend, rear seats alignment was “good” and functioned as expected. So all in all, we have nothing we feel the need to fix. Might be rare, and something may fall out of sorts at some point, but in our case we are at least one signal in the noise that might suggest things are improving. I was ready to decline delivery for any significant flaws, but in our case just wasn’t needed.

Last edited:

I'm actually picking up at the same location as you tomorrow as well! I'm a ball of emotion: excited, anxious, scared, happy, optimistic and pessimistic at the same time. But with all that I've read from these forums, I'm more than equipped to give the MY a good look-over before accepting delivery!

As others said, it's just because you're in California and close enough to the factory to get it by the end of the quarter. If you had decided to wait and order next week, you wouldn't be getting it nearly as quickly, more likely 1-2 months.

Plenty of people have been getting great cars. We picked up our Y last week, and it was fine.

End of quarter push. There is a lot riding on a profitable quarter and can’t count a sale until a vehicle is delivered.
I contend that they are trying to deposit as much to balance sheet, offset to customer liability. Balance sheet is always the first of 3 financial statements. Wall street call earmarked for next week. Tesla is saying that my 6/4 second order available tomorrow at 7pm...if I wire 70k today. Impossible feat..but at 1pm will take delivery of y pup ordered 3-14-19...same identical car, two different 'vins'. Hey, first one bad tomorrow..I should be able to take second in 10 days when available. Will be some broken dreams for some thinking they put tomorrow.

Walk in not expecting perfection and walk out loving your car.

I took delivery of a white MY on June 10. VIN 99xx. My white paint is perfect. Panel alignments are not perfect, but not bad. Tail lights and charge port door do not line up quite right. BUT...I absolutely LOVE the car! Interior is perfect. Feels and drives solid. No squeaks or rattles. Super smooth. Love it!

Reactions: DennyL