Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good portable air compressor for the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys/gals,

The Model 3's 12v cigarette port is only rated at 12 amps continuous use, and it seems that alot of the portable air compressors requires 15 amps. I don't want to deal with broken fuses, what do you guys use that would work well with the Model 3? Thanks all.

I bought and used the Tesla tire pump and it died. The on/off switch being the culprit. Right now I have the Slime pump in my Model 3. Have looked around and it doesn't seem like there is anything that is really bullet proof as far as reliability goes. They all work for a while and then they don't. You pay your money and hope it works when you really need it to.

Reactions: jonquiljo
I went for DEWALT DCC020IB 20V Max Inflator. While it does plug into a cigarette lighter port, is also will take the DeWalt 20V batteries, which I already have a number of. This unit was well rated by Consumer Reports.

The Ryobi is battery powered and has been very reliable for me. I tried two other models that plug into the cigarette adapter and both blew a circuit. It’s a great price at Home Depot, although you do need to buy a battery and charger separately if you don’t already have another Ryobi cordless tool.

RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ Dual Function Inflator/Deflator (Tool Only)-P747 - The Home Depot
[sarcasm]Oh yeah... put some more lithium batteries inside an EV![/sarcasm] :)

I'm heavily invested into the Ryobi system. Two chargers, four battery packs, cordless drill, wet/dry shop vac, hand vacuum, circular saw, reciprocating saw and flashlight. I was looking at that inflator but thought $50 was a little too much. $35 is tempting to have as a backup and a much more portable system than something that requires a cigarette lighter outlet. The down-side is that if I keep this in my car I'll have to plan on swapping in a fully charged battery every couple of months. Murphy's Law says that I'll forget to do that and the one time I need to pump up a tire out on the road, the battery will be dead.

I use this one. Cigarette lighter/ reg outlet/ and battery power. Works great
5061DBFA-B531-4CA0-AACF-665DBDE81BBA.png

Reactions: P3dStealth
I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9WSTEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve used it several times on two different Model 3s, and a Subaru. All good so far.

I ordered this one on Friday and it arrived on my porch Sunday morning (Amazon to USPS surprisingly, Prime Member). Ordered it in yellow feeling the black numbers on a white background (back lit as well) would be the highest contrast for my eyes if I didn't have glasses on, but it comes in other display colors. My tire pressure has been low and I truly hate going to the gas stations any more for this. Plus the air inflators at the gas stations we've stopped at didn't let you set the PSI and stop automatically so you are having to check each tire and many times doing it over again. I feel this will be my primary use of this product. Did not want a combo slime product. This worked great, topped off all four tires in no time and I did not think it was loud when operating.

Instruction steps were easy to follow. LIked that it was rated 10-15A so within Tesla's 10-16A range as specified in the manual. LED light is bright. Love that you set the PSI and it will shut off when it's reached. Comes with other adapter needle valves. Another thing that helped sell me was the replaceable fuse it comes with and an extra is included. I've seen a negative comment on Amazon about the supplied little black nylon bag and I found mine to be well constructed at the seams, handles and zipper. If you put the LED end into the bag first, the rest slides in pretty nicely. Even comes with a velco strap to bundle and store the power cord when done. Power cord was plenty long to reach all four tires from the 12V outlet in my Model 3 and no problem reaching the air valve on my 19-inch tires. Really pleased over all and only around $30. Small bag to store in your lower trunk or frunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
I purchased the Tesla one and even it managed to trip my model 3 cigarette lighter circuit after airing up two tires. This is despite it being an official accessory.

I bought a 12 volt li-on pack to carry with me. I plan on using it for my air compressor or if my 12 volt model 3 battery has a problem. It’ll also be useful to help anyone I come across that needs a jump as the Tesla manual says to not jump others from your care battery.