Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good sign for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. It's the season for college tours with my son, a high-school junior. Without fail, on college campuses I get lots of thumbs up and other positive attention from the undergrads, far more than the usual attention that a Model S draws. The problem from Tesla's POV is that the demographic with the strongest attraction to the MS--young adults--also has the lowest ability to pay for one.

That will still be good for Tesla long-term. Think of little Apple, putting their computers in classrooms across the country. Those kids grew up and got jobs.

Earlier this week I was approached by some school staff where my 4 year old goes to school, they want me to give a tour of the car to her class... today is the day! talk about starting them young! my daughter exclaims "our car runs on electwicity!"

If you create any materials (hand outs, power point, whatever) please share them with us. I have a local STEM school that I will likely be doing a presentation of the Tesla. Was trying to come up with some educational related ideas like calculating how far one cell will take the car (was going to use round numbers like 7000 cells, 300 mile range, 85kWh, etc. for simplicity). I have several batteries I can pass around to show off. I even have the SWAG remote controlled Roadster that might be fun. Thinking about talking about energy, CO2, and maybe recommending they watch Who Killed the Electric Car prior to my presentation (though it's a bit long for 3rd and 4th graders in school).

If you create any materials (hand outs, power point, whatever) please share them with us. I have a local STEM school that I will likely be doing a presentation of the Tesla. Was trying to come up with some educational related ideas like calculating how far one cell will take the car (was going to use round numbers like 7000 cells, 300 mile range, 85kWh, etc. for simplicity). I have several batteries I can pass around to show off. I even have the SWAG remote controlled Roadster that might be fun. Thinking about talking about energy, CO2, and maybe recommending they watch Who Killed the Electric Car prior to my presentation (though it's a bit long for 3rd and 4th graders in school).

Great idea... If anyone has created something that can be shared, it would be wonderful. I've already been approached by my son's school to show them the car (when I get it in a few weeks) and would love to be able to have some materials to work from.

Earlier this week I was approached by some school staff where my 4 year old goes to school, they want me to give a tour of the car to her class... today is the day! talk about starting them young! my daughter exclaims "our car runs on electwicity!"

haha, that is awesome! My two year old daughter rides with me to work (I work at her school) and I tell her when it's the day to fill the car up with gas. But then I tell her one day we won't have to do this anymore because cars will run on batteries. I hope she has the electricity term in her vocabulary soon as well.

Yep. It's the season for college tours with my son, a high-school junior. Without fail, on college campuses I get lots of thumbs up and other positive attention from the undergrads, far more than the usual attention that a Model S draws. The problem from Tesla's POV is that the demographic with the strongest attraction to the MS--young adults--also has the lowest ability to pay for one.

I have the same experience at college campuses. Kids, Parents, and often faculty. Sadly they don't usually have charging stations, and the ones that do are typically 30A, almost useless for a short visit or to pick up/drop off your child. Although I just talked Wellesley into installing two 70A units. I think our kids are the same ages Robert. My daughter is a freshman at Wellesley. My son is a high-school junior.

That will still be good for Tesla long-term. Think of little Apple, putting their computers in classrooms across the country. Those kids grew up and got jobs.

GREAT point, indeed: there are so many parallels between Apple's success and Tesla. Similarities are everywhere -- even George B. brought his prior Apple experience/expertise to his breakthrough approach to Tesla stores. Great piece "Is Tesla the Next Apple" covering these parallels published just yesterday too:
Is Tesla the Next Apple?