Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good sign for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on my way home the other day at about the time that the local schools were letting out. I was just minding my own business, lost in the thought of how cool it is that I was actually driving an electric car, let alone one that can blow the doors off a M5 and a viper, when I heard a whoooping. It was a group of teenagers that noticed the car and as I drove past they yelled "Nice Tesla!" I had no idea that kids would know what a Tesla was let alone think they were cool but that has to be a good sign. If kids start lusting after a Model S the way I used to lust after that Lamborghini Countach in the poster on the wall next to my bed when I was that age, Tesla should have a long and prosperous future.

I was dropping my 10 year old at school on my second day of ownership. The drop off is on the driveway where parent and student volunteers open and close the doors for the kids.

I put the car in park but didn't know how to extend the handles yet.

I was a little concerned and told my son that he'd have to open the door himself.

But the 11 year old boy volunteer just walked up to my car, tapped the door handle to extend it and opened it, as if he'd been doing it his entire life.

As I drove off, I saw my volunteer walk up to group of onlookers and give a high five!

My wife is a substitute teacher at a high school.

There may be skepticism about EVs among adults, but the students seem to universally LOVE them. Students come up and talk to her about the cars every day she is there. (Even on days she rides her bike there - they are always very disappointed when they see her without having seen a car in the parking lot on their way in).

heh, pizza delivery guy just came in and asked if it was a "jagwire" parked outside. Told him it's a Tesla. He was still out there when we went to go for our pre-lunch run, and he goes "Fire it up! let me hear her purr!".... I lol'd.

It's really surprising, the younger generation seems to be the one most impressed by Model S (and other EV) - much more than older folks. This is a very good sign for the future of our planet and the beginning of a great mind shift.

I just had a couple of guys in a tall F350 pull up next to me, looking at my S and they asked how I liked it. I said I loooove it. then they said is it an Aston Martin? I said No, Tesla. The light turned green just then and they said floor it!... hehe, hell ya! planned on it anyway
whoosh

mostly the younger crowd up here that has some clue what an S is + like it
majority of the population is hippies and rednecks or redneck hippies

I have had the same reaction from young adults at both Home Depot and later Target. Each time 4-5 people in their early 20s knew the car make and model, and said they have never seen one up close until then. They were excited.

I asked one gal who was very inquisitive where she learned of Tesla. She said, "well it is located right across from the Apple Store at Park Meadows Mall (Denver). Duh. She said we (her friends) visit both regularly.

Children, teenagers and young adults tend to have very little fear of change or something new. They are willing to try anything at least once to see if they like it. The whole idea of the Model S being an ipad on wheels would thrill them. With social media as it is now, word about a new product they like spreads like wildfire.

I think younger people and children love EVs because they are silent, comfortable (no gear changing), easy to drive and do not emit bad smelling and hazard gases.

They see the advantages and could think why not everybody is driving an EVs. Children don't like noise and don't like uncomfortable rides. They can better imagine how to drive the car and how it works.
No child will understand how an ICE car work (in some ages they will understand but before ?)

For the future I expect, that if childrens come in the age to understand EVs and ICE cars, all children ask: Why we had used such inefficent, complex and hazardous combustion engines ?

Older people are much more skeptical because they only know the ICE side and only belive in that.

Yes, us too. lots of thumbs ups from the teenagers even a bit older. A few weeks ago we had a family follow us several miles off the freeway to a park we were going to. when we parked they ran over to the car and were ecstatic about it, knowing all the specs. the two early twenty somethings actually knew what they were looking at, asking the exact configuration and had a real appreciation of the accomplishment this car represents. my wife and I were deeply touched!

This explains me pretty well. Im in my 20s, and have been a HUGE BMW fan for 8+ years now. The Tesla really excites me more than any BMW available right now. The technology really stands out in the crowd of boring cars these days.

I posted months ago about some of the surprises I've had from the "Tesla Time" I spend with people. One is the large number of people who stop and ask about the car having no idea what kind of car it is -- they love it just because of the way it looks, and when they find out it's electric, it's a huge bonus. Two is the number of people who ask where it's made, and when I say California, they are incredibly impressed/surprised/happy.

Third, and by far the most amazing part of Tesla Time, is the uniformly positive and intense reactions from kids and young adults. I've seen kids pointing the car out to their parents, I've had kids explaining to their parents better than I could all of the car and Tesla, and I've had kids ask to take pictures, look at the car, ask me questions about it etc. There's no doubt that kids "get it" with this car, and know much more about it as a generation than their elders.

This is a great sign for our future, and also for the future of Tesla with Gen III on its way.

Yep. It's the season for college tours with my son, a high-school junior. Without fail, on college campuses I get lots of thumbs up and other positive attention from the undergrads, far more than the usual attention that a Model S draws. The problem from Tesla's POV is that the demographic with the strongest attraction to the MS--young adults--also has the lowest ability to pay for one.