Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear ElectricDrive 2 Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
There's no place to post about stuff that's relevant to all models so I'm just putting this here...

The ElectricDrive™ 2 is equipped with the following features and benefits:
  • SoundComfort Technology® foam inserts that help reduce the level of interior vehicle sound.
  • At least 50% sustainable materials1, 3, including the use of soybean oil in the tire’s construction, rice husk ash silica and sustainably sourced natural rubber.
  • Asymmetric tread pattern that is optimized to improve grip and responsiveness on wet and dry roads.
  • Long-lasting tread compound, designed with resilience in mind to help EV drivers get more miles out of their tires.
  • Aerodynamic sidewall and innovative compound that lowers aerodynamic drag and enables lower rolling resistance2.
The ElectricDrive™ 2 will be available for purchase in May 2024.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to other options.

That was how I purchased mine. Good Year has contract with Just Tires with mobile installation that came to my home for the install. I go to local Just Tires for rotation/balance.
The USAA discount is attractive, but I really, REALLY want an EV tuned tire that doesn't have the stupid foam. I was excited about the Turanza EV because they did it without foam, but evidently, they didn't construct it with enough width for the 19" wheels. It looks ridiculous when it's installed.

The USAA discount is attractive, but I really, REALLY want an EV tuned tire that doesn't have the stupid foam. I was excited about the Turanza EV because they did it without foam, but evidently, they didn't construct it with enough width for the 19" wheels. It looks ridiculous when it's installed.
Why do you want a tire without the foam? While I'm sure there are product defects related to the foam, in almost all cases that is just something inside the tire you never see or deal with in any meaningful way? Certainly less problematic than TPMS sensors and we've all gotten used to those. Maybe the foam is problematic is you use emergency tire sealant instead of dismounting and repairing a tire?

Reactions: sleepydoc
Why do you want a tire without the foam? While I'm sure there are product defects related to the foam, in almost all cases that is just something inside the tire you never see or deal with in any meaningful way? Certainly less problematic than TPMS sensors and we've all gotten used to those. Maybe the foam is problematic is you use emergency tire sealant instead of dismounting and repairing a tire?
Yes, the foam is problematic if you have a leak and need to use the emergency sealant (I'm sure Elon promoted the jackass who came up with the idea to market a tire pump/sealant reservoir to customers when the company only sells stock tires with foam inserts where the sealant is useless). This concerns me because there is no spare, so the emergency sealant may be the only saving grace if I don't wanna wait hours and hours for a roadside service call. Also, even if you have a slow leak and are able to get to a tire place, there are several members who have stated that some places will refuse to fix the tire because it involves removing and replacing the foam.

And there are reports that the foam doesn't do all that much in the way of sound damping in the first place.

Yes, the foam is problematic if you have a leak and need to use the emergency sealant (I'm sure Elon promoted the jackass who came up with the idea to market a tire pump/sealant reservoir to customers when the company only sells stock tires with foam inserts where the sealant is useless). This concerns me because there is no spare, so the emergency sealant may be the only saving grace if I don't wanna wait hours and hours for a roadside service call. Also, even if you have a slow leak and are able to get to a tire place, there are several members who have stated that some places will refuse to fix the tire because it involves removing and replacing the foam.

And there are reports that the foam doesn't do all that much in the way of sound damping in the first place.
Sorry you had trouble with that. In the case of puncture that i couldnt get to a tire shop, I would use the emergency sealant and then replace the tire. An annoying use of $300, but overall a small potential expense that is incurred rarely. I think its unlikely that tire manufacturers move away from foam in the tires as NVH control is high on automaker's priority lists and the foam helps there. You kinda lost me with the suggestion that Elon has something to do personally with foam inserts in tires.

Get a plug kit and learn to use it - lot's of info on here. I had foam in the OEM Goodyear's no issue (but crap tires), had MPS AS4's next now Hankook Ion EVO SUV's with foam no issues. There are ton's of foam type tires on the road now, the vast majority with no issues - the few get magnified IMO. I wouldn't/didn't base my purchase based on foam/no foam, very happy with the Hankooks now.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Sorry you had trouble with that. In the case of puncture that i couldnt get to a tire shop, I would use the emergency sealant and then replace the tire. An annoying use of $300, but overall a small potential expense that is incurred rarely. I think its unlikely that tire manufacturers move away from foam in the tires as NVH control is high on automaker's priority lists and the foam helps there. You kinda lost me with the suggestion that Elon has something to do personally with foam inserts in tires.
I'm upset because the company knows that they only ship tires with foam, and then, because they chose not to include a spare tire, market their own repair kit using sealant that is not effective on their stock tires. It's an idiotic situation. And again, even if you don't use the sealant, which I understand can ruin the tire for long-term use, a simple repair may not be made at a shop, also necessitating a new tire.

I'm upset because the company knows that they only ship tires with foam, and then, because they chose not to include a spare tire, market their own repair kit using sealant that is not effective on their stock tires. It's an idiotic situation. And again, even if you don't use the sealant, which I understand can ruin the tire for long-term use, a simple repair may not be made at a shop, also necessitating a new tire.
Huh, I had an OEM tire patched (not plugged from the outside) at a Midas in Saugerties, NY last summer with no issues.

Huh, I had an OEM tire patched (not plugged from the outside) at a Midas in Saugerties, NY last summer with no issues.
Some will make repairs, but I know I've seen several people here say that they were refused repairs because of the foam. I know that foam is becoming a bit more widespread but it's still relatively new and I think there are old school shops that don't wanna mess with it, just like there are old school places that don't want anything to do with Teslas in general.

Might look fine on aftermarket rims that are 8.5" wide

I see. I appreciate the explanation.