Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GOP tax reform bill would end the $7500 EV tax credit (and other tax related grousing and grumbling)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would this affect only new orders? or people who have yet to claim it too?

So I already took delivery of my car this year and expect to use the credit this coming Spring when doing taxes. If the bill was passed tomorrow let's say, does that mean I lose what was already obligated to me?

I'm assuming it affects only new orders because that would be beyond stupid otherwise.

It would affect any delivery after Dec. 31st 2017. So if you took delivery of your car, you can claim the credit for 2017 taxes.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
Urban myth: Pie chart of 'federal spending' circulating on the Internet is misleading

$4,000 Billion is Federal spending.
$600 Billion is military.

State, county, and local taxation is not included.
Since it is a regular practice of the GOP right-wing to exclude payroll taxes (FICA, etc) from consideration of "who pays most of the federal taxes or has the highest marginal or effective rates" e.g. The Facts About Who Pays the Most in Taxes in America among many, many others including current GOP talking points on their tax bill, is it not perfectly fair to exclude the federal spending funded by these "not-federal-taxes" too?

Since you want to include the social spending then including the social taxes totally demolishes the GOP talking points of millions of households paying no federal taxes and greatly amplifies the lopsidedness of the house bill's tax cuts for the super-wealthy compared to the poor and middle class (which they work really hard to compare, even only considering "income" taxes.
Also we'd see who really has the highest tax rates.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Here is the best summary of most of the salient proposals that are currently written into the bill:

Details of tax reform legislation revealed

It is likely that most of these changes that would affect most of you have been discussed above.

Worthy of noting, however are the following:

Elimination of the Section 43 and 45I credits (Enhanced Oil Recovery Credit and Producing Oil and Gas from Marginal Wells [strippers] Credit.)

Elimination of the deduction (50% allowable) for entertainment, amusement, or recreation expenses. The deduction for meals (50% or 80% if in the transportation industry) appears to be retained.

Capping the deduction for interest at 30% of adjusted taxable income for businesses with > $25,000,000 in gross receipts.

The 25% maximum rate for pass-through entities (S-Corps, partnerships, sole proprietors and farmers/fishers) excludes personal services businesses like law, medicine, accounting, engineering, performing arts, athletics, and consulting. How this affects the computer services industries is unclear, but I would suppose that if personal services are a majority component of gross receipts, that those highly-paid self-employed computer types would likely not benefit from this 25% rate.

Repeal the like-kind exchange rules for personalty.

Interest income from Private Activity Bonds and Bonds used to build sports stadiums or arenas would no longer be exempt from federal tax.

No more loopholes for deducting executive compensation > $1,000,000 on corporate tax returns. The deduction is capped at $1 million with no ability to deduct performance incentives, and it expands the definition of those subordinate executives who would have their compensation deduction capped.

Good news for Ohmman: The excise tax on private foundations' net investment income drops to 1.4% from 2%.

We shall see how this particular sausage making exercise winds up. Like most things tax related, the devil is in the details, and we have not seen the details. Time will tell how long it takes for the IRS to issue new regulations interpreting any new law (if it is signed into law.)

Here is the best summary of most of the salient proposals that are currently written into the bill:

Details of tax reform legislation revealed

It is likely that most of these changes that would affect most of you have been discussed above.

Worthy of noting, however are the following:

Elimination of the Section 43 and 45I credits (Enhanced Oil Recovery Credit and Producing Oil and Gas from Marginal Wells [strippers] Credit.)

Elimination of the deduction (50% allowable) for entertainment, amusement, or recreation expenses. The deduction for meals (50% or 80% if in the transportation industry) appears to be retained.

Capping the deduction for interest at 30% of adjusted taxable income for businesses with > $25,000,000 in gross receipts.

The 25% maximum rate for pass-through entities (S-Corps, partnerships, sole proprietors and farmers/fishers) excludes personal services businesses like law, medicine, accounting, engineering, performing arts, athletics, and consulting. How this affects the computer services industries is unclear, but I would suppose that if personal services are a majority component of gross receipts, that those highly-paid self-employed computer types would likely not benefit from this 25% rate.

Repeal the like-kind exchange rules for personalty.

Interest income from Private Activity Bonds and Bonds used to build sports stadiums or arenas would no longer be exempt from federal tax.

No more loopholes for deducting executive compensation > $1,000,000 on corporate tax returns. The deduction is capped at $1 million with no ability to deduct performance incentives, and it expands the definition of those subordinate executives who would have their compensation deduction capped.

Good news for Ohmman: The excise tax on private foundations' net investment income drops to 1.4% from 2%.

We shall see how this particular sausage making exercise winds up. Like most things tax related, the devil is in the details, and we have not seen the details. Time will tell how long it takes for the IRS to issue new regulations interpreting any new law (if it is signed into law.)

Thanks for posting this, especially the link. I have no idea how it will affect me: It looks as though my taxes before AMT would be higher, but elimination of the AMT might mean my actual tax would be lower. I'll find out in April when my accountant does my taxes. (April because the damn mutual funds issue revised documents at the last minute so there's no point in doing the taxes earlier and then having to re-do them. If I could add one provision to the tax law it would be that mutual funds not be allowed to revise their declarations after January 31.)

I have seen people claiming that HSAs would be eliminated, but I see no mention of that in the article. Having an HSA saves me about $1,000 a year, so naturally I'd like it to remain, though I have no idea how this affects the citizenry overall. Of course I think that health care should be one-payer universal coverage, and free for those who cannot otherwise afford it, with reasonable co-pays for those of us who can.

I presume this is all a moving target until a bill is passed and signed.

Reactions: Dr. J
Electric vehicle tax credit preserved in Senate’s revised tax bill, says senator :cool:

All the details from the Senate’s version of the bill are not out yet, but a senator from South Dakota says that it does preserve the tax credit for electric cars. Republican Senator John Hoeven commented on the bill according to the Financial Post: “The South Dakota Republican said the measure also preserves existing clean energy tax incentives such as for electricity production from wind. It preserves a tax credit for electric cars as well.

It follows the news that electric vehicle buyers got an ally within GOP over repeal of the $7,500 federal tax credit when Republican Senator Dean Heller, who sits on the Senate’s finance committee, said that he will fight against the repeal.

For the $7500 tax credit going away in 2018, an OA mentioned that you can possibly take paper delivery of vehicle in 2017 and take physical delivery in 2018. Has anyone else heard of this? I have not been able to talk to a DS. He hasn't responded to emails or calls. Is this typical?

For the $7500 tax credit going away in 2018, an OA mentioned that you can possibly take paper delivery of vehicle in 2017 and take physical delivery in 2018. Has anyone else heard of this? I have not been able to talk to a DS. He hasn't responded to emails or calls. Is this typical?
I've seen some people mention that but legally, you need to place the car in service in 2017 by actually taking delivery in 2017. Just paying for it in 2017 doesn't meet the "placed in service" requirement.

Reactions: deonb and Az_Rael
I've seen some people mention that but legally, you need to place the car in service in 2017 by actually taking delivery in 2017. Just paying for it in 2017 doesn't meet the "placed in service" requirement.

That's what I thought, but it appears another buyer got a similar answer.

I can't get a hold of my DS by phone or email. Anyone experienced this?

Attachments

• taxcredit.jpg
    taxcredit.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 45
That is not what US tax code says. Tax code says the car must be delivered and placed into service. No "soft" deliveries.

That is correct. Placed in service has been litigated countless times. The statutory and case law on this concept are well-established and clear. I do not think a Tesla employee has the skill or the credibility to undo decades of history.

And, if they try to do an end run by filing the paperwork with DMV early to get a 2017 date without delivering the vehicle, well that is the F word--five letters, rhymes with broad.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I wish they wouldn't conflate the CARB credits with the buyer incentives. They are different things.
Also, credits / incentives for manufacturers are different from incentives to consumers.

"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater..."