Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got 3 errors--Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly but next appointment is 3 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NedH

Feb 27, 2019
GA
Errors: VCFRONT_a192, VCFRONT_a182, VCFRONT_a402. First message says 12v battery needs to be replaced. But other errors are very ominous: some electrical equipment will be shutdown, car may not start, etc.

Should I be worried and be careful where I drive until the battery is replaced?

Is there some safety margin before the 12v battery dies completely? My car is almost 4 years old.

And there *is* a safety margin for you - it's those errors. Not everyone is so lucky. Definitely don't go for any long drives (or any drives at all) unless it's your only choice and you're going to an auto supply store to buy a battery.

Ideally, get someone else to drive you to the store and get a battery, then put it in yourself. The type of battery and instructions for replacement can both be had from these forums or by googling.

I just recently had mine replaced on my 2018 LR RWD. Based on what mine LOOKED like, I would not want to wait 3 weeks. You might want to keep checking the app to see if any sooner appts come up(it happened for me). My battery was visibly expanded so I am glad I was able to get it replaced within a week.

My cost was about $107 total(battery + labor). It cost them more on labor than expected because they dropped the little vent piece and spent about 10-15 minutes locating and fishing it out from the depths...

Yes (you should be worried) and if it were me I would not drive that car anywhere at all until the 12V battery was replaced, unless you are ok with the car not starting once you park somewhere.

That notice IS the warning, and many people dont get it, the car just doesnt start. Some who get it have the car not start shortly after. I seem to remember @EVRider-FL having a situation like that (warning, then car not starting just a couple days after that).

Perhaps I am mis remembering that, though.

With those errors set the LVB will discharge to full dead in a matter of hours (max 24h). Tesla logic.

If you have a trickle charger, and no LVB replacement handy, to keep things going for a few more weeks do this:

1. park the car
2. go through the 12V replacement procedure (without replacing the battery)
3. once you reconnect everything the codes will clear and the LVB will go into recharge mode... likely keeping it alive for a few more days, weeks.

Alternatively, with the HVB connector disconnected and the negative/ground clamp off the LVB - proceed to connect a trickle charger to the LVB and let it juice it up for a few to a few dozen hours, then reconnect everything.

That notice IS the warning, and many people dont get it, the car just doesnt start. Some who get it have the car not start shortly after. I seem to remember @EVRider-FL having a situation like that (warning, then car not starting just a couple days after that).

Perhaps I am mis remembering that, though.
You remember correctly. I wouldn't drive the car until the 12V battery is checked and replaced. If you use Roadside Assistance, they'll take care if it within a couple of days.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Errors: VCFRONT_a192, VCFRONT_a182, VCFRONT_a402. First message says 12v battery needs to be replaced. But other errors are very ominous: some electrical equipment will be shutdown, car may not start, etc.

Is there some safety margin before the 12v battery dies completely? My car is almost 4 years old.
Can I ask how many miles you have on the car? Just wondering as my car is over 4 years old but have not gotten any warnings yet about the 12V. I only have 15,800 miles on mine. Since the pandemic been working mostly from home.

Can I ask how many miles you have on the car? Just wondering as my car is over 4 years old but have not gotten any warnings yet about the 12V. I only have 15,800 miles on mine. Since the pandemic been working mostly from home.
As with ICE cars, mileage doesn't really impact the life of the 12V battery, it's age (and climate). It seems 3-4 years is typical for Tesla owners. Our Model 3 12V battery died after 3 years with less than 9k miles on the odometer. Our Model S 12V battery was proactively replaced after 3.5 years (at my request).