Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a call for delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know when VINs get assigned? Is it a real time process and they get assigned at any time or is it something that happens overnight or on some regular cycle. Since I have had a reservation for a year and two months and haven't see a VIN yet, it is a bit frustrating to see VINs get assigned to orders that took place this year. So difficult to tell how this happens short of it being completely random.
So I have checking every 30 - 60 min .....All of a sudden my VIN popped up. So I would say it is random

Does anyone know when VINs get assigned? Is it a real time process and they get assigned at any time or is it something that happens overnight or on some regular cycle. Since I have had a reservation for a year and two months and haven't see a VIN yet, it is a bit frustrating to see VINs get assigned to orders that took place this year. So difficult to tell how this happens short of it being completely random.

There's no reason to it really. You should call your local Tesla store and ask for a delivery timeline. Even first day reservations don't have cars yet but people who ordered in March (non P model) have received theirs...it's BS but that's what Tesla does sometimes :rolleyes:

There's no reason to it really. You should call your local Tesla store and ask for a delivery timeline. Even first day reservations don't have cars yet but people who ordered in March (non P model) have received theirs...it's BS but that's what Tesla does sometimes :rolleyes:

I just got off the phone with my delivery center and they said they might start seeing deliveries in Houston in June. He also said that there is a pretty good chance I'll get mine in mid to late June but no promises. One bright side is our showroom in the Galleria has a model Y available for test drives now. AWD model. I'm scheduled for June 1 to take it out. Here again you would figure they would be filling orders and not sending cars to showrooms yet but we know that Tesla is more about making money right now than making every customer happy. ;)

Reactions: theganjaguru
I just got off the phone with my delivery center and they said they might start seeing deliveries in Houston in June. He also said that there is a pretty good chance I'll get mine in mid to late June but no promises. One bright side is our showroom in the Galleria has a model Y available for test drives now. AWD model. I'm scheduled for June 1 to take it out. Here again you would figure they would be filling orders and not sending cars to showrooms yet but we know that Tesla is more about making money right now than making every customer happy. ;)

What’s you’re build? I got the 5/13 email. I have a LR blue/white with 20’s. In Houston as well. I got a call last week to say we have nothing but factory opening . Nothing from Tesla this week.

What’s you’re build? I got the 5/13 email. I have a LR blue/white with 20’s. I got a call last week to say we have nothing but factory opening . Nothing from Tesla this week.

Blue/Black AWD with 19s and FSD. I've seen this configuration delivered to other folks. I have no idea what keeps me from getting a car. My delivery guy did say they produce cars in batches by color. He said he thinks red is being produced now and told me blue is next. So I can see that skewing delivery. That coupled with priority being put on the higher dollar performance models is probably behind the delay in our cars. One small bright side to this is the longer we wait, the better the quality (hopefully). ;)

Blue/Black AWD with 19s and FSD. I've seen this configuration delivered to other folks. I have no idea what keeps me from getting a car. My delivery guy did say they produce cars in batches by color. He said he thinks red is being produced now and told me blue is next. So I can see that skewing delivery. That coupled with priority being put on the higher dollar performance models is probably behind the delay in our cars. One small bright side to this is the longer we wait, the better the quality (hopefully). ;)

LOL,
I think Tesla build quality is an ever improving process, the longer you wait the better their build seems to be. At what point do you take the plunge? Lol My lease is up end of June so I’m hoping to get a call in the next few weeks. I ordered beginning of feb FWIW

LOL,
I think Tesla build quality is an ever improving process, the longer you wait the better their build seems to be. At what point do you take the plunge? Lol My lease is up end of June so I’m hoping to get a call in the next few weeks. I ordered beginning of feb FWIW

I think most of us that put down $2500 ( on 3/17/19 in my case) in the initial reservation process were willing to deal with some of the issues with getting the early run of the MY. Anyone that is afraid of quality issues should probably wait until the Y has been produced for 6-12 months. Tesla is difficult to predict as they change so rapidly. Just like Apple, if you wait for them to produce the perfect product you will be waiting forever as there will always be a better version built in the future. Heck, there are rumors about better Tesla batteries coming soon, so do we wait or jump now? I’m not waiting.o_O

What I've heard from people at Tesla HQ is that it happens based on trim, availability, location, and place in line. Reason is to get as much visibility in as wide a geography as possible (Tesla doesn't advertise, this is their alternative) while getting the most bookable revenue. Important note here: Tesla only books part of the $7k they get from FSD sales as revenue because it's not feature complete so for their quarterly numbers they'll want to first concentrate on building Performance models which is the full $8k in revenue.

Tesla appears to have completed red and white exteriors this week. Still waiting on the MSM run. Wonder how many color runs they do a week.

FWIW, Tesla informed me that they are prioritizing orders where they have payment info. I sent them the pre-authorization this week.

I reached out to Tesla via chat this morning, and I just got the standard ‘deliveries are prioritized by configuration, location,’ etc. Basically sit down and wait. All my info is filled out, so supposedly they’re just waiting on a VIN to match my configuration. Even though it seems like people who ordered my exact configuration a few months ago are getting VINs already...

Hey, I have the same model ordered though with the trailer tow package added. Since I ordered April 19th, I probably have quite the wait ahead of me so I'm watching you guys to see when yours get delivered or at least when I can see some kind of "Get ready for delivery" email...

Took delivery of our Model Y LR Pearl White, black interior, Gemini wheels, FSD, VIN #60XX today in Portland, Oregon (order date of February 14, 2020, VIN assigned this past Monday). Our first Tesla, so it's basically an entirely different planet from our 13 year old Honda Civic and I am generally over the moon. A couple of notes:

1) I did a pretty thorough walk through (at least, that I could deduce from notes from everyone about taking delivery). There were some minor noticeable ticks in the paint, maybe a couple of millimeters long - at least three around corner edges on the car. The delivery center touched them up right away.

2) The only panel that I could see was mis-aligned big time was the back trunk from side to side (it is pretty much riding against the side on the right and maybe half an inch away from the side on the left. When I pointed that out and asked for it to be fixed, the delivery guy was like "sure, I see that, but that is purely cosmetic, the latch still locks, so we are not going to fix that because it's not covered." Uhh, good to know, I guess. When we got home, I was having difficulty latching the rear trunk and almost called in, but then realized that the little leather loop that lifts up the rear floor cover was getting in the way of the latch (as has been pointed out before, but I had forgotten). When I tucked that back in, the rear trunk closed fine, every time.

Going on a longish road trip for the day tomorrow (to give some furniture to family - I was able to fit a dining room table and 6 chairs in the back of the Y, which has a ridiculous amount of space), so I'll have a much better sense overall of the car after that, but for now, it's a ton of fun.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz
2) The only panel that I could see was mis-aligned big time was the back trunk from side to side (it is pretty much riding against the side on the right and maybe half an inch away from the side on the left. When I pointed that out and asked for it to be fixed, the delivery guy was like "sure, I see that, but that is purely cosmetic, the latch still locks, so we are not going to fix that because it's not covered." Uhh, good to know, I guess. When we got home, I was having difficulty latching the rear trunk and almost called in, but then realized that the little leather loop that lifts up the rear floor cover was getting in the way of the latch (as has been pointed out before, but I had forgotten). When I tucked that back in, the rear trunk closed fine, every time.

Don't accept that. Plenty of other delivery centers have been fixing their misaligned hatches. And who cares if it's purely cosmetic, you just bought a brand new car from them. If it had a massive paint scratch across the hood, that would be cosmetic too, but it doesn't make it okay.

Reactions: wasloan
Took delivery of our Model Y LR Pearl White, black interior, Gemini wheels, FSD, VIN #60XX today in Portland, Oregon (order date of February 14, 2020, VIN assigned this past Monday). Our first Tesla, so it's basically an entirely different planet from our 13 year old Honda Civic and I am generally over the moon. A couple of notes:

1) I did a pretty thorough walk through (at least, that I could deduce from notes from everyone about taking delivery). There were some minor noticeable ticks in the paint, maybe a couple of millimeters long - at least three around corner edges on the car. The delivery center touched them up right away.

Going on a longish road trip for the day tomorrow (to give some furniture to family - I was able to fit a dining room table and 6 chairs in the back of the Y, which has a ridiculous amount of space), so I'll have a much better sense overall of the car after that, but for now, it's a ton of fun.

Feb 2020 and got one already...WTF Tesla?

Also, WTF does “not covered” mean on a brand new car being delivered?

Don't accept that. Plenty of other delivery centers have been fixing their misaligned hatches. And who cares if it's purely cosmetic, you just bought a brand new car from them. If it had a massive paint scratch across the hood, that would be cosmetic too, but it doesn't make it okay.

I was for sure surprised. I didn't even know how to react to that, so I said "uh huh, okay" - I wasn't going to walk away from picking up the car over a panel issue, and I think the guy knew that.

• Disagree
Reactions: wasloan