Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a scratch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our car (model X) has the multicoat red. Anyone know if the red touch-up paint for the model S will suffice? It's a deep scratch. Anyone have a favorite repair kit? I'd like to avoid paying for body shop repair, because I just bought a model X.

Anyone know if the red touch-up paint for the model S will suffice?
I think the reds are the same. But MC is another problem on it's own. After the primer comes the red, then a perl coat and lastly a clear coat. You can't match that with touchup paint.

What I have seen clever people do before if the primer was still in tact was to use the touchup paint and immediately use a business card and scrape the paint flush with the scratch. Might have to repeat a few times. It will leave a bit of film on the edges. After a few days you can buff the film off. Might need a bit of sanding with some 2000 grit first. Then buff.

Won't be perfect and you will probably see the outline of the scratch but it will be better than the scratch. If it's really good after the buffing but it does not have the depth of the surround paint it would have to be clear coated. That means the whole panel which is an awful lot of work/expense.