Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my Tesla solar tiles installation proposal and...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes. The price of the Tesla solar tiles installed on my house went up 50% from when I used the calculator and placed my deposit back when they were announced. We had a tech come out last year and fly a drone over the house, and the price went up about 7%. But a whopping 50% is not close to reasonable IMHO. I won't live long enough to see this pay off!

For those interested in the details:
* Roof square footage: 2900
* Powerwalls: 1
* Energy produced: 13 kWh/yr

Roof cost: $95k
Powerwall: $11k
Site work: $17k

Yea. You can buy an entire house elsewhere in the country for that much money.

I don't mind paying some early adopter premiums but if this product is core strategy for Tesla then I'm worried about what the sales will actually be. Beyond the cost, I have serious concerns about what happens if you need to do a repair on the roof, replace the gutters, etc. How long would that lead time be, and how much would anything even cost? My questions went unanswered by the (nice) representative.

I hope they can make this product work, and I was genuinely excited about getting it installed, to the point that I'd pay 2x the cost of a normal roof to do so. But TBH I'm insulted that this was the proposal.

Are these numbers in line with what others have seen?

The size of my roof and orientation to the street (high pitch, corner lot) would make the panels too ugly for me to live with. That's what made me so interested in the solar tiles (plus, termites don't eat glass yet).

But now that the tiles are about to move off the table, I may consider panels. My roof has one year left in it, maybe two. I might have the patience to wait for the Tesla tiles to come back to earth, price wise.

The size of my roof and orientation to the street (high pitch, corner lot) would make the panels too ugly for me to live with. That's what made me so interested in the solar tiles (plus, termites don't eat glass yet).

But now that the tiles are about to move off the table, I may consider panels. My roof has one year left in it, maybe two. I might have the patience to wait for the Tesla tiles to come back to earth, price wise.
Tesla does a better job than most at making the panels look good. Ours were all placed symmetrically and have side and bottom skirts which make the installation look much nicer. They were also able to replace plumbing vents and avoid the "missing tooth" look you see for many solar installs. Also, if you are really concerned about looks, ask for the black/black panels. They are slightly less efficient but the black/black panels don't have the white lines that some people don't like the look of.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak and fehguy
Yikes. The price of the Tesla solar tiles installed on my house went up 50% from when I used the calculator and placed my deposit back when they were announced. We had a tech come out last year and fly a drone over the house, and the price went up about 7%. But a whopping 50% is not close to reasonable IMHO. I won't live long enough to see this pay off!

I don't mind paying some early adopter premiums but if this product is core strategy for Tesla then I'm worried about what the sales will actually be. Beyond the cost, I have serious concerns about what happens if you need to do a repair on the roof, replace the gutters, etc. How long would that lead time be, and how much would anything even cost? My questions went unanswered by the (nice) representative.

I hope they can make this product work, and I was genuinely excited about getting it installed, to the point that I'd pay 2x the cost of a normal roof to do so. But TBH I'm insulted that this was the proposal.

13 kWh/yr??! Are you telling me that you can charge your car for 15-20% with that $100k+ roof, but it takes a year?

13 kWh/yr is wrong.

Solar system size are not described kWh/yr, because it depends on location, weather, demand, etc.

I assume he meant 13 kW of panels, which would be a typical largish system. His total price is $123k.

A premium metal roof could be about $12/sqft, so he has $34k of roof. (Asphalt is a lot cheaper, both quality and price. Most asphalt roofs have to be replaced several times over the life of the house.)

I spent nearly $100k on a 12 kW off-grid ground-mounted PV system with substantial lead acid batteries (88 kWh, 40 sq ft of garage space). I had very high installation costs because of remoteness.

Not apple to apples comparison, but I don't think it is so unreasonable. Sure looks a lot nicer than panels on roof. Isn't the roof guaranteed forever or something? And aren't Tesla battery systems much more compact?

You should consider getting your roof replaced this year and getting traditional solar panels put on. If installed before the end of 2019 you will get a 30% tax credit on the solar. I upgraded my solar panels last year (10KWH) to take into account charging my Model 3 and I now pay under $10 per month for my power bill (access fee and taxes). I'm driving on sunlight. Based on installation timeframes and price solar tiles are still a future reality. It is likely that solar tile pricing will come down over time to meet market reality.

I have 9.87 kW (47 210 W panels; limited to 10 kW for self-reporting) on my roof. These were installed in late 2010 at a total cost of $47,765. Estimated payback was 6 years. Mine paid off in 5.25. My panels currently produce about 10.5 kWh year. I am now at 155% ROI and still being paid for xs kWs via net metering. Grid cost in MA is 4th highest in the nation at 21 to 23 cents per kWh. I pay between 1 and 5 cents/kWh depending on weather and power usage. I cannot make economic sense out of a solar roof as described by fehguy. What is the projected the income stream?

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA

Yes, that’s pricy- my uncle purchased a non- Tesla solar roof set for his Arizona home. He financed/leased it. The cost per month is less than what the panels produce, since he sells the excess back to the utility. You should do the math- if your monthly payment is cheaper, it’s a winning formula.

Yikes. The price of the Tesla solar tiles installed on my house went up 50% from when I used the calculator and placed my deposit back when they were announced.

Well, that is disappointing, especially after reading this article that claims Tesla solar prices will go down:
"Last November, Tesla Energy already announced that it slashed prices of solar systems by up to 20% – citing vertical integration.
Now Tesla is going to announce further price cuts to achieve a price up to 38% lower than the national average of $2.85 per watt for a residential solar system."

Tesla plans to revive solar business by undercutting everyone with <$2 per watt systems

Well, that is disappointing, especially after reading this article that claims Tesla solar prices will go down:
"Last November, Tesla Energy already announced that it slashed prices of solar systems by up to 20% – citing vertical integration.
Now Tesla is going to announce further price cuts to achieve a price up to 38% lower than the national average of $2.85 per watt for a residential solar system."

Tesla plans to revive solar business by undercutting everyone with <$2 per watt systems
That's Solar Panels, which did go down. Not Solar Roof.

Get a metal roof, and get some good looking solar panels.

images

Reactions: Foxyboy

I thought these shingles, were going to be cheaper than conventional ones. ???

@Dutchie, I mistyped, my apologies. The proposal says "13 kW system size" with total energy production of 10,000 kWh per year.

I think these would be cheaper than conventional if you lived forever, nothing ever broke, and you never did any remodeling on your house. All of those are impossible (unless I die before they break, which is technically possible).

I do like the idea but the price delta feels just too big. The federal tax credit is estimated at 21k for this install.

@Dutchie, I mistyped, my apologies. The proposal says "13 kW system size" with total energy production of 10,000 kWh per year.

I think these would be cheaper than conventional if you lived forever, nothing ever broke, and you never did any remodeling on your house. All of those are impossible (unless I die before they break, which is technically possible).

I do like the idea but the price delta feels just too big. The federal tax credit is estimated at 21k for this install.

I also mistyped as my system of 9.87 kW is producing about 10,500 kWh/yr (not 10.5). Thus the solar roof might just be less efficient than panels. The projection for my system in its 9th year is 10,180 kWh (originally 11,000 new). Newer panels are said to be more efficient and of higher capacity and cost less ($3.30 to $3.70/W in MA installed) a little more than a dollar/W less than mine cost in 2010.

No worries, I thought something must have been off. It still is a huge expense with a return of only about 2% per year, tight into your house. It will never pay off and I don't think your house appreciates in value with the same amount you invest in.
Seeing theses quotes is a bit disappointing as I thought solar would be much more competitive by now.