Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Rear-Ended: Seeking Advice on Repair Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mvay

Jun 23, 2024
Oregon
Hello Tesla Family,

Our MY got rear-ended by a Jeep with a heavy-duty front bumper. While I am sorting out this incident, I wanted to ask if I should bring my car to a Tesla collision center or any approved 3rd party collision shops? The car is drivable at the moment with no immediate warning signs on the dashboard, but I hear an intermittent high-pitched sound at 20-30 mph. Attaching some pictures of the car for your reference.

Additionally, even though there isn't any notification, I am concerned about potential long-term issues that might arise in the future. Any recommendations on what to look for or how to handle this?

Thanks in advance.

1719177163126.png

1719177198146.png

1719177213051.png

That could be a writeoff. Almost missed the back chassis member but shunted the hatch damn good. If it tweaked the roof member along the way...

Maybe it only bent the hinges and you need a new hatch and bumper to est it straight?

I assume you were insured so no reason not to take it to T.

Did you get a squeal of brakes and tyres before the crunch or did they ram you?

I'm insured so I would go to Tesla for that kind of damage, but I am not you.
I would start by getting several appraisals and if insured I would ask what my insurance company what they require and recommend.
As someone already said this car might be a write-off.

Sure! Here’s the follow-up question with improved clarity:

Thanks everyone for your responses. Yes I have insurance. Regarding the write-off and assessing the car's internal damage, I assume a 3rd party would be able to do that similarly to Tesla collision center? I am just concerned that some shops might not have the knowledge or the means to confirm that all systems are working as expected and might focus only on the body repairs, etc.

Reactions: alain99
Sure! Here’s the follow-up question with improved clarity:

Thanks everyone for your responses. Yes I have insurance. Regarding the write-off and assessing the car's internal damage, I assume a 3rd party would be able to do that similarly to Tesla collision center? I am just concerned that some shops might not have the knowledge or the means to confirm that all systems are working as expected and might focus only on the body repairs, etc.
As far as sourcing a shop - I'd reach out to your insurance, or through the insurance of the other party (if they're at fault) and see what they are requesting as far as assessing the damage. They'll probably tell you to reach out to Tesla, or possibly have an approved shop for you to visit.

You can also just reach out to Tesla yourself about getting it assessed. If they don't have a time in the near future, ask to see if they have any nearby Tesla-approved body shops that can do the assessment instead.

As far as sourcing a shop - I'd reach out to your insurance, or through the insurance of the other party (if they're at fault) and see what they are requesting as far as assessing the damage. They'll probably tell you to reach out to Tesla, or possibly have an approved shop for you to visit.

You can also just reach out to Tesla yourself about getting it assessed. If they don't have a time in the near future, ask to see if they have any nearby Tesla-approved body shops that can do the assessment instead.

Good idea. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Just had a similar thing happen, only I was Lucky it was only a Mini Cooper and the driver swerved and hit the brakes first and only hit the black rear air deflector. My Y showed no external damage other than a dent inside the bumper on the cross beam and the black valence itself.
I didn't get a call from her insurance so I called Tesla and set an appointment with a picture of the impact point a description also asked for an alignment to make sure nothing was knocked out of whack and also asked if they could add a tow hitch if everything checked out.

They checked off the car inspection for no charge, and then installed a hitch and aligned the car , so far the $2100 came out of my pocket. Obviously the hitch is my responsibility.

Tesla told me they could inspect the car but If anything was needed like paint or body work or structural it would have to go to one of their approved body shops. I asked if they could order in the rear air deflector and install it in the future and they said no.

With the damage showing in the pics of your car I would definitely want the Giga casting inspected for cracks etc. From Sandy Munro's Video on the rear of the Y's, if the Giga casting has any major damage beyond the crush can areas it is most likely a total, because of how much labor and damage they had to the outer body panels just to remove it.

If I had to do it over I would probably have taken it to the approved body shop because they could do all of the work and might dig deeper into the inspection . The advantage for having the Tesla service center do mine was I got the car back aligned with a hitch and can use the car until I make the Body shop appointment for the valence install. Your situation is different with pretty major damage.

Good Luck with the insurance as well, starting to wonder where they disappeared to. I spoke to a nice gal about a week ago and then received a very terse form? letter saying they have not established the driver was covered and for me Not to have anything done to the car yet. This is opposite of what we agreed to on the phone...

Hello Tesla Family,

Our MY got rear-ended by a Jeep with a heavy-duty front bumper. While I am sorting out this incident, I wanted to ask if I should bring my car to a Tesla collision center or any approved 3rd party collision shops? The car is drivable at the moment with no immediate warning signs on the dashboard, but I hear an intermittent high-pitched sound at 20-30 mph. Attaching some pictures of the car for your reference.

Additionally, even though there isn't any notification, I am concerned about potential long-term issues that might arise in the future. Any recommendations on what to look for or how to handle this?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1059110

View attachment 1059111

View attachment 1059112
Looks like you got hit pretty hard. Are you okay?