Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got rear ended, will this buff right out?

Over/under on repair cost?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adjuster came back and reported $13k in repairs.
Hoping drivetrain/suspension isn't damaged. They will have to inspect that when they do an alignment check.

Keep us updated! I suspect it will go way up, but may not end up being a total. What labor costs (per hour) are the shop and the adjuster accounting for in their estimates?

Hard to tell from your picture, but is the damage coming in low because the trunk lid was completely untouched? "Just" a hard glancing corner blow? Maybe that means less reconstruction of the rear trunk deck, which is pretty complicated.

I'd be a little surprised if the wheel isn't out of alignment - looks like at a minimum metal got pushed into it and if the other car hit/pushed that rear wheel at all, I'd expect the half axle, hub assembly, and some of the suspension arms would be need to be replaced. But I guess you'll see.

Last edited:
Keep us updated! I suspect it will go way up, but may not end up being a total. What labor costs (per hour) are the shop and the adjuster accounting for in their estimates?

Hard to tell from your picture, but is the damage coming in low because the trunk lid was completely untouched? "Just" a hard glancing corner blow? Maybe that means less reconstruction of the rear trunk deck, which is pretty complicated.

I'd be a little surprised if the wheel isn't out of alignment - looks like at a minimum metal got pushed into it and if the other car hit/pushed that rear wheel at all, I'd expect the half axle, hub assembly, and some of the suspension arms would be need to be replaced. But I guess you'll see.
Hard to tell what damages there are with suspension. Can only tell once they put it on a machine to test alignment.

Seems like damage is mostly near the bottom.

Labor cost ranges from $96 - $130/hr.

Is it normal for them to only change one damaged tire, even though it's a awd car and tire wear should be within a certain spec?

The other insurance company's adjuster will inspect tomorrow as well. Let's see what he comes up with.

Ya that sucks. I just got clipped by a damn pick up truck guy. Thankfully he came forward and told me the bad news, and promised to make things right. The good part is that he came forward. I just hope he will do his best to compensate the damage, but I don't know his financial situation. He seems to say he can't afford a Tesla because he asked me how much they are.

I rather not make a big deal out of a scratch. I hate being one of those car people who are perfectionist and can't stand a single thing being out of line. Otherwise I'd have a heart attack to see that nasty scratch on my car. Would have been worse if say my car was a Lamborghini Aventador I obsessed over, then have some pick up truck take it all away from me.

So what happens if you did confront your accident person, but he doesn't want to give his insurance? I feel if it was a rear end and parts are bent and broken, then it should def warrant insurance exchange.

I had to make a tough call whether to hound my guy down for his insurance or license. He seem genuine though, waiting 30 minutes around for me to come back. I could have tried gone the route where I become an asshole and demand his information against his will, but then that could cause him to change his mind on his honesty and he could walk away, since I technically would have no proof he hit me. So I felt I had to be nice and handle this like buddy to buddy, and hope he have my back.

I feel if I did things the way he felt most comfortable, then it would least to a better result. And the better he will wanna work for me, and think for me. I think it's going to work out though, he offered to get an estimate at a Tesla licensed business, even though I offered to let him try a cheaper route suggested by a forum member. If say I got into an accident with this same guy, like a rear end, then I may be more serious about getting insurance information.

But he seems like a well off guy, he says he makes $8-9k a month so I think he won't mind spending a little more if its worthwhile doing so.

Hard to tell what damages there are with suspension. Can only tell once they put it on a machine to test alignment.

Seems like damage is mostly near the bottom.

Labor cost ranges from $96 - $130/hr.

Is it normal for them to only change one damaged tire, even though it's a awd car and tire wear should be within a certain spec?

The other insurance company's adjuster will inspect tomorrow as well. Let's see what he comes up with.

Tesla even approves driving with different sized tires on an AWD car, so its not like other AWD cars you might be familiar with (as in, Tesla will put a 19 inch loaner wheel on a model 3 performance with 20 inch factory installed tires, and they told me "its fine, our engineers have determined that this is ok for this car". They even sent it to me in writing when I didnt believe it.

So, yeah the "Replace tires on an axle because AWD" thing doesnt apply to teslas, at least to tesla.

Reactions: kdphan
Tesla even approves driving with different sized tires on an AWD car, so its not like other AWD cars you might be familiar with (as in, Tesla will put a 19 inch loaner wheel on a model 3 performance with 20 inch factory installed tires, and they told me "its fine, our engineers have determined that this is ok for this car". They even sent it to me in writing when I didnt believe it.

So, yeah the "Replace tires on an axle because AWD" thing doesnt apply to teslas, at least to tesla.
Good to know. Thanks!