Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got v9 tonight on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a UI designer by trade so a lot of the choices made with how the display looks and functions seemed like poor work. Yet a week after I got my car, I get an update that fixes a lot of those nit picks. We really are living in the future...

maybe we can geek out on their design decisions. I'm a UXer and have been regularly sending them feedback around usability issues. Still dismayed that they are treating the screen like a handheld tablet.

Reactions: ftlum
FWIW, I've found it much easier to touch the small buttons since I've started just holding the edge of the screen nearest the button I'm seeking. It syncs my hand with the screen, thereby enabling my finger to accurately find the desired button 99% of the time on the first go.

Reactions: Stew
I'm a UI designer by trade so a lot of the choices made with how the display looks and functions seemed like poor work. Yet a week after I got my car, I get an update that fixes a lot of those nit picks. We really are living in the future...
What's your VIN and delivery date and config? I'm trying to learn whether there's logic to how v9 is rolling out. (I'm an early LR and still have not been offered v9.)

Reactions: APotatoGod
I don’t understand how anyone is having trouble hitting the button they want lol.
I have noticed a slight issue with the air flow “button” that moves. It seems like it does not register my touch immediately but otherwise I think the touchscreen works well.

How do you feel about the decision to move directions to the left rather than right side of the nav? Huge UX mistake imo.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Dog
How do you feel about the decision to move directions to the left rather than right side of the nav? Huge UX mistake imo.
You'll understand it when you're older than 45 and your eyes can no longer read text that is on the far side of the screen, but can read text that is on the left half of the screen. That said, it seems like this should be configurable fairly easily, but I'm not a UX coder so what the hell do I know.

Reactions: davedavedave
Car asked to schedule update yesterday. Happened overnight. First thing I noticed is the clock is over to the left side, much better. Beyond that all those avatar vehicles colliding with my car from all sides is indeed entertaining. LOTs of calibration needed .

I don’t understand how anyone is having trouble hitting the button they want lol.
I have noticed a slight issue with the air flow “button” that moves. It seems like it does not register my touch immediately but otherwise I think the touchscreen works well.

It's more that the car is moving and I feel like I have to waste time stabilizing my hand to line up with the button.

Reactions: GSP and nvx1977
FWIW, I've found it much easier to touch the small buttons since I've started just holding the edge of the screen nearest the button I'm seeking. It syncs my hand with the screen, thereby enabling my finger to accurately find the desired button 99% of the time on the first go.
This is exactly what I do. Hold the bottom edge with my thumb and then I can accurately press the "button" I want.

I was at the service center today dropping off my M3 (which had not yet been offered v9 yet).

I asked a tech if the M3’s had been getting it and he said very few. Sounds like maybe they were just starting to push it out to M3’s that don’t have autopilot. So maybe they feel like they need to fix some things there or do some additional validation.

The Model S loaner they gave me was prompting for an update when I got in and so when I got home I let it upgrade to V9. The interface is so different in the S though that I have no clue what is new, plus I don’t have my phone linked so I can’t check out those features.

What's your VIN and delivery date and config? I'm trying to learn whether there's logic to how v9 is rolling out. (I'm an early LR and still have not been offered v9.)

They must be doing it in LIFO order mines May build delivery in June and nothing.

Many have tried to figure out a pattern, no one has solved it yet. It is one of life’s mysteries. I just got V9 tonight on my under 2k VIN. (2017 Model 3 FTW)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP