Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free FSD for 1 Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few hours ago, I got a notification about a software update. The release notes said it was only minor bug fixes. I updated it anyway. As soon as the update was completed, I got an email from Tesla telling me that I now had FSD for free for 1 month. I live in a small rural village where there are very few yellow lines down the middle of the road and no white line to demarcate the shoulders. Maybe that's why FSD seemed to work so poorly. I'll try it on an interstate on Tuesday to see if it impresses me. But, around my village, the only thing it did correctly was to stop for Stop Signs. But even if it works like a charm on the interstate, I won't be buying it for two reasons: I can't afford it and I really, truly enjoy driving my M3.

A few hours ago, I got a notification about a software update. The release notes said it was only minor bug fixes. I updated it anyway. As soon as the update was completed, I got an email from Tesla telling me that I now had FSD for free for 1 month. I live in a small rural village where there are very few yellow lines down the middle of the road and no white line to demarcate the shoulders. Maybe that's why FSD seemed to work so poorly. I'll try it on an interstate on Tuesday to see if it impresses me. But, around my village, the only thing it did correctly was to stop for Stop Signs. But even if it works like a charm on the interstate, I won't be buying it for two reasons: I can't afford it and I really, truly enjoy driving my M3.
Not very useful for people to compare without noting the exact software version you got. There are changes in how well FSD works pretty much every sub-version.

Reactions: CTShore
I agree with your sentiment. FSD is a novelty imo. It's impressive for what it is but still a novelty. It feels like when I was training my 16 year old how to drive. The worst part so far has been for some reason about 50 percent of the time it refuses to go through with getting off highway off ramps. Signals, starts to do it then doesnt. But all around its scetchy. I'm glad I get to experience it for a free month but after only a couple days it reinforced my decision not to pay doesn't. In fact I would pay less for the car to not even have the hardware capability if it were an option.

Not very useful for people to compare without noting the exact software version you got. There are changes in how well FSD works pretty much every sub-version.

Open the Tesla app and look at the bottom for the software version installed. Now go to this link to see what version of FSD is included with that version:

• Informative
Reactions: dcfas
I agree with your sentiment. FSD is a novelty imo. It's impressive for what it is but still a novelty. It feels like when I was training my 16 year old how to drive. The worst part so far has been for some reason about 50 percent of the time it refuses to go through with getting off highway off ramps. Signals, starts to do it then doesnt. But all around its scetchy. I'm glad I get to experience it for a free month but after only a couple days it reinforced my decision not to pay doesn't. In fact I would pay less for the car to not even have the hardware capability if it were an option.
Same here. I've been using variations of the FSD from time to time over the years with various Tesla's I have owned, and I have yet to see this get to a point where I would pay and actually use it. It's more frustrating than anything. Like @ChuckM3P said, like training a new teen driver or like driving with my 80+ grand parent. I get frustrated and just end up taking over every time.

yet you see folks to just absolutely love it. The only thing I can think of is that they also drive similar to how FSD drives? lol

I've been testing FSDb since Thanksgiving. And, version 11 is not very good on unlined roads, as it likes to stay close to center. That's fine, since I do that as well, but it doesn't seem to move back to its side of the road early enough, for my liking, when it sees another vehicle coming.

I got v12.3 just a week ago, and it's a huge improvement on unlined roads. It stays on its side of the road, drives around people walking on the side, with plenty of cushion, slowing and just doing it in a way that I would do, ie more human-like. Plus, it now can drive my one-lane dirt road correctly. Before it'd try to drive down 25mph, when the appropriate speed is about 12.

In the past, people would ask me how close it was, and I'd say v11 was 99% there. V12 is 99.9% there. That's an order of magnitude better, and it is.

Reactions: CTShore
In the past, people would ask me how close it was, and I'd say v11 was 99% there. V12 is 99.9% there. That's an order of magnitude better, and it is.
99% is very generous. I live in the burbs and it consistently tries to change lanes at or in the middle of intersections, doesn't seem to want to drive at my set speed (hovers around 5mph under,) make strange lane change decisions despite minimal lane changes being enabled and illegally passes cars on the right on a single lane road. Objectively, I would put v12 at 80%. When it works well, it's mind blowing and a true glimpse into the future; when it doesn't work well, it's horrifying and potentially dangerous.

All that being said, I can't wait to use it on my way home from work today. lol.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
FSD reminds me of the history of computers learning to decode speech. I remember excitedly trying on Dragon Naturally Speaking in the 1980's - and thinking it was close, but still had a long ways to go. And the same thing about every 10 years until finally it just sort of worked well enough to monetize. Now I use Alexa all the time, and it usually gets things right until I get to non-English names. FSD 12.3 seems good enough to be usable. Where it's not usable, people just won't use it. Where it is usable (seems OK around Phoenix), people will end up using it more and more.

What's next? I'm thinking end-to-end including highways where we still have 11.4.9 in use. AI needs to work on construction zones. If we no longer have a compute constraint, why is v12 not doing freeways?

And after that, the final frontier: parking lots.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
99% is very generous. I live in the burbs and it consistently tries to change lanes at or in the middle of intersections, doesn't seem to want to drive at my set speed (hovers around 5mph under,) make strange lane change decisions despite minimal lane changes being enabled and illegally passes cars on the right on a single lane road. Objectively, I would put v12 at 80%. When it works well, it's mind blowing and a true glimpse into the future; when it doesn't work well, it's horrifying and potentially dangerous.

All that being said, I can't wait to use it on my way home from work today. lol.
Yes, it's slower than v11, but I think that's a minor issue that could be easily fixed. I don't have any of the other issues that you cite, lane changes, and strange passing on the right. Then again, you are in Mass, they drive different down there!

FSD reminds me of the history of computers learning to decode speech. I remember excitedly trying on Dragon Naturally Speaking in the 1980's - and thinking it was close, but still had a long ways to go. And the same thing about every 10 years until finally it just sort of worked well enough to monetize. Now I use Alexa all the time, and it usually gets things right until I get to non-English names. FSD 12.3 seems good enough to be usable. Where it's not usable, people just won't use it. Where it is usable (seems OK around Phoenix), people will end up using it more and more.

What's next? I'm thinking end-to-end including highways where we still have 11.4.9 in use. AI needs to work on construction zones. If we no longer have a compute constraint, why is v12 not doing freeways?

And after that, the final frontier: parking lots.
It's worked much better in construction zones, roundabouts and parking lots, than v11, which was unusable. Then, I've only had it for a week.

Mine drives like a 80yr old grandma with cataracts. Also not very smooth … odd acceleration but then with a red light to stop sign it slows WAY down 20 yards before…. Goes suuuuper slow and then stops. Nearly hit a curb when making a tight turn. It’s certainly impressive as a show case of what can be done but also *years* (if ever with current sensors) away from L4+

This free trial justifies me not spending money on fsd, I can't let it go for longer than a minute without it pissing me off. It does not know how to do stop signs or right on red. And lastly it just doesn't drive the way I want to drive.
The autopilot that came with the car is good enough for me however I still argue v1 autopilot is still better than any other version

I wish I had known about this ahead of time, as three of the four weeks this month, I will be out of town and my car will be parked. With that said, I didn't check the versions, but this one seems far better the one that I tried back in October. I wish that they had just given you a one month trial and allowed you to select when to use it.

What version did you upgrade to that triggered FSD trial?
12.3.3 for me. I have a monthly subscription that renews on the 7th of each month. Shortly after my car installed 2024.3.10 (FSD 12.3.3), I got an email about the offer and a couple of messages in the Tesla app. The email (received March 31st), stated my trial 'started' and ends on May 7. I'm currently subscribed through April 6, so my subscription renewal just moved a month, to May 7

Reactions: Daybyday and Adam3