Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got v9 tonight on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who got the V9 update, did you get a text, email or phone notification or only the popup on the car screen (trying to decide if I can monitor without running out to my car every few hours ;) )?

To answer my own question, I just checked my car (at about 2:00 AM like I have every morning since the release email) and found the V9 update waiting -- running now. I have phone notifications turned on for the Tesla app (Android) so when I looked at my phone, there was a notice there as well. I did not get an email even though emails were sent to introduce us to the changes and let us know it was starting to be released.

I think it works fine? Isn’t this how most touchscreens work?

Yes, all capacitive touchscreens work the same way; you tap, and it reacts. But the environmental conditions of that interaction is very different depending on whether you have the screen on your lap while perfectly stationary on your couch, vs a rigid screen that's off to the side while the driver's primary attention is somewhere else and the ground is shaking.

The power of good design means that you can neutralize some of these environmental-specific challenges, but not if you assume the person using the screen/tool is sitting on a couch.

For example: navigation change: zoom, north up, traffic, satellite, supercharger toggle controls are now moved to the right edge, making them much harder to reach when driving. One could argue that those are not commonly used controls. Ok, but why not just keep them on the left, next to the new placement for the navigation text? Those controls disappear anyway with a tap on the map, so we're not really concerned about them masking the map below.

New HVAC controls also move a few buttons to the far right due to the new interior airflow visualization. Why not have the controls on the far right stay with the other controls on the left?

Homelink buttons: usually i hit the correct garage bay, but on occasion, I press the wrong one, and it's a pain to correct due to the delay for each transmission. Why not make the surface area for each button a bit larger? That is a temporary control that disappears when you leave your house, so covering up vital information is not a concern. Assuming a 2 bay garage, you could conceivably make the buttons fill the screen so you could hit the correct button without even looking at it (tap the left half of the screen to close the left bay, etc)

Don't get me wrong: there are many elements of the UI that are really smart, and they've already made a lot of good usability improvements since I got my car this past winter. But as a designer myself, I see some really obvious problems that are easily solved. If you think the experience overall is good now, that's awesome. But actually it could be better.

For those naysayers who think the sole touchscreen is a dealbreaker, the difference in changing their mind could be something as small as the examples I provided above.

• Helpful
Reactions: sbtz and GSP
For those who got the V9 update, did you get a text, email or phone notification or only the popup on the car screen (trying to decide if I can monitor without running out to my car every few hours ;) )?
I got a notification on my phone from the Tesla app. But I just tried to install it and it failed. Got a message on the screen saying to wait for another update to be sent to my car. Ugh

Many have tried to figure out a pattern, no one has solved it yet. It is one of life’s mysteries. I just got V9 tonight on my under 2k VIN. (2017 Model 3 FTW)
Woke up to my v9 update this morning. Heading on a road trip tmrw so will have time to check it out then.
So far all I know is that I can't get my wife away from Centipede. She is in the garage right now playing it, in fact.

• Funny
Reactions: favo