Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Antenna Disconnected/Backup Cam black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonight I walked from the grocery store to our M3 LRDMP- and was greeted with this message:

"GPS Antenna Disconnected"
"Navigation and Autopilot limited"

Also, the backup cam image is black, though the guide lines do show up. (Felt quite awkward backing up at night, in the rain, without the nice big screen!) I haven't found other reports like this. The fact both went out at the same time hints at a connectivity problem. Do these use a chassis ground? I think both the antenna and the camera are on the trunk lid, so I might explore further, but thought I'd post here for ideas before tearing up carpet.

Thanks!

Submit a service ticket using your App, seems the car is new. Hopefully a Moblie service ranger can help if you are far from the nearest service center. That is a weird one as I haven’t read about that one either.

Fred

Here’s a link to other threads with the same issue,

GPS Antenna Replacement - Cutting out rear windshield??

Thanks. That was the only similar one I'd found, but they're model S and no backup cam problems.

I have a service appointment scheduled but am still hoping something simple turns up. The way both problems hit all at once though vs. developing or being intermittent likely means I'm reaching.

loom.jpg
Ouch. The wiring loom going from the trunk lid to the body looks suspicious. (Passenger side, standing by the rear wheel) The pic doesn't do the collapsed area justice; it's harsh.

I wouldn't be upset if anyone else happened to compare with their own... If you do, please note if the conduit maintains a curve or if it kinks anywhere through the trunk lid's range of movement. Mine only bends (~90%) at the kink, which has to stress any wires inside. Since both the camera and GPS are angry, could they share a ground? The other trunk lid electronics do work (lights, trunk release, license lighting).

Yesterday I received a text from Tesla saying they need me to reschedule my service appointment because they're waiting for parts. Soon after that the backup camera and GPS started working again! No word yet if they kicked it back to life remotely but it does sound like diagnostics identified a problem.

No I did not. That was March. (Wow) Because of all the uncertainty back then, and Oregon's only SC being almost centered in Oregon's first hot zone, I cancelled that appointment. Fortunately the camera and nav have been fine since.

Well just got the car back. I didn't get any luck before service visit, but they fixed the problem by simply doing a 12V battery reset.
I believe it's something like this The definitive guide to RESET on Tesla Model 3

Quote:
== What this is good for
In cases where car has lost: all cameras (black backup camera), GPS, AutoPilot, lane lines and other vehicles, then this has been reported to remedy the issue.

Just went through this on my M3 SR+. With the first ticket, when the technician came out, the car was mid update and thought that it would be resolved with the update. that didn't work.
on the second ticket, the technician suggested i move the toll pass (Easy Pass) because it was on the same side of the mirror where the GPS module is and that fixed it for me.

I also have the same problem (GPS Antenna Disconnected) and have an Easy Pass mounted on the windshield. Which side of the mirror is the GPS Antenna located? BTW, I have an appointment at the SC in Rochester, NY and they sent me an estimate for approx $170 and my car is 4 months old. Isn't there a warranty?
Thanks,