Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Is rotating randomly after 2019.12.1.x Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just updated from the 2019.7.x software all the way up to a 2019.12.1.2? release a few days ago. I have noticed that my map/gps randomly rotates to an incorrect heading then snaps back to normal. It does the constantly while I'm driving. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Hard reboot did not address the problem (2 button + brake).

Reactions: fiatlux
Yep noticed the same thing yesterday. Strangely it didn't start right after I upgraded to 2019.12.1.2 on Friday. The issue is causing Nav on AP to temporarily disengage (back to just Autosteer) until the GPS corrects itself.

I assume since you came from 2019.7.x you have a new delivery on HW3? That's my situation.

I'm having the same problem. On my commute this morning pre-update everything was working fine. I just updated to 2019.12.1.2 while it was parked at work and the navigation/GPS is barely usable. I just took delivery of this vehicle a week ago - not happy... Tried the two button+brake, if it's any better on my commute in the morning I'll update, but based on your experience, I'm doubting that.

Hard reboot did not address the problem (2 button + brake).
The reboot you should try is shutting down the car - while sitting in the driver seat, go to Safety and Security, and shut down the car. Sit there for 3-5 minutes until everything shuts down and all the little noises stop. Then step on the brake to restart it. This actually resets everything.

I assume since you came from 2019.7.x you have a new delivery on HW3? That's my situation.

Yup, HW3 Model 3, just picked it up on the 1st, GPS is the least of my worries now, dealing with a cracked windshield currently. Fun times!

The reboot you should try is shutting down the car - while sitting in the driver seat, go to Safety and Security, and shut down the car. Sit there for 3-5 minutes until everything shuts down and all the little noises stop. Then step on the brake to restart it. This actually resets everything.

I tried that but only waited a minute or two, pressing the break immediately activated the screen like it was just asleep. Is there a visual cue that I can look for like a black screen and Tesla logo to pop up if I've done it correctly? Also noticed that if you "Power Off" the car and get out it turns back on immediately.

Just tried a 3 minute, and 5 minute "Power Off", each time I pressed the brake pedal the screen immediately came on, still had a WIFI connection and looked just like it slept. A 2 Button + Brake reboot resets the LTE and WIFI and makes it reconnect so there's definitely something not working on my Power Off sequence.

You just need to sit in the seat quietly - fiddle with your phone or something if you want. If you mess with the windows, doors or controls or wiggle in the seat too much it'll wake it back up. And yes, it's like it goes to sleep - it takes it a while, and then when you wake it up it's almost instantaneous. What I listen for - the fans all go off, then after a while longer there's some kind of noise like something releasing under the car, although it doesn't always do this.
And of course there's the possibility that it's some other issue that this isn't going to fix, in which case give service a call.

When I called the Tesla rep on the way into work this morning she stated that you need to logout of the Tesla app on your phone, then do the power down sequence, otherwise the car does not fully shut down. She also stated you need to wait 2 or more minutes, then you can turn it back on by hitting the brake. I did the double button hold reset first, waited for it to come back up, and then did the car shutoff sequence using her advice and my GPS was normal on my commute this afternoon back home. Hope that helps!

Took delivery last week with 2019.12.1.2 installed and am experiencing the same problems. I mirrored what wildfire did but I’m still experiencing the same issue with GPS. Calibration isn’t working either so I scheduled a service call for later this week.

This seems to have worked itself out over time for me. It happened for about a week but has been much better for the last week or so without any software update. One change I made was to remove my USB dash cam drive because it was causing freezes of the screen and reboots. I've reformatted the drive and am going to try putting it back today to see if the problems return.

Reactions: Gadgetboyea
Anyone have a solution for this yet? I tried the reboot a few times, including logging out on my phone and doing the screen driven reboot. Nothing changes, still wacky GPS. Has anyone had success with a service center visit?