Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

grab bar for model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to imagine situations in which the driver would need a grab bar...

1680756589069.png

Upvote 0
Might want to check this thread from the Model Y section: Add Grab Handles?

There are some suggestions for suction-style shower handles but the consensus is they won't work for everyone and aren't 100% reliable.

I'm thinking SeaSucker roof rack mounts might be possible but this might over-stress the roof glass and lead to a disaster, especially with someone my size (~305 lbs/140kg)

I generally just reach out of the car to grab the A-pillar/roof-rail area to assist in hoisting myself out, but it's not an ideal solution for many; there's no gripping surface to wrap fingers around. Supporting your body weight on the steering wheel is not a good idea, it can damage the adjustment mechanism.

Upvote 0
These are "performance" vehicles. Aggressive driving is normal. And my wife complains about not having something to hang onto almost every time I even remotely take a curve at speed. I can see why, and have seen other vehicles, without a driver's side handle.
But it really would be nice for passengers to have something.

I've had to transport my elderly mother several times in my MS, and yeah the door latch handle accessory would be helpful, but that's just one angle. Sometimes pulling up is just easier than pushing down, or needing both.

Upvote 0
elimination of grad handles is so bizarre. my parents need them when getting in and out of the Model 3 ....
In exchange for grab handles you have AIRBAGS that can save your life and the life of your loved ones. Seriously, there are side air bags where grab handles normally go. Things like this are why a family of 4 survived a crash in a Tesla after the husband drove off a 250 foot cliff.

I recently saw a picture of one of these airbags deployed but I don't remember where.

Adding grab handles is not a good idea. Even if it doesn't disable the airbag it will seriously injure you if the airbag ever deploys.

Upvote 0
In exchange for grab handles you have AIRBAGS that can save your life and the life of your loved ones. Seriously, there are side air bags where grab handles normally go.
There are recent cars with full sets of the usual airbags (including side and side curtain airbags) that have grab handles as the cars come from the factory.

Of course, those grab handles are carefully designed and placed to avoid interference with airbag deployment. This may not necessarily be the case for aftermarket grab handles.

Upvote 0
My wife really needs a grab bar to enter and exit from our Model S while she recovers from her broken ankle. It is not pretty, but I found a solution that works. Using a flat strap called arbor tie, and an eight inch PVC 1/2 inch pipe, I fabricated a grab bar. The strap runs over the top of the car to the window opening on drivers side and thence back to the hoop that latches the rear backrest. Knots are bowlines which are easily untied for adjusting the length.

Attachments

• 20230417_164239.jpg
    20230417_164239.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230417_164409.jpg
    20230417_164409.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 112
  • 20230417_164426.jpg
    20230417_164426.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0
My wife really needs a grab bar to enter and exit from our Model S while she recovers from her broken ankle. It is not pretty, but I found a solution that works. Using a flat strap called arbor tie, and an eight inch PVC 1/2 inch pipe, I fabricated a grab bar. The strap runs over the top of the car to the window opening on drivers side and thence back to the hoop that latches the rear backrest. Knots are bowlines which are easily untied for adjusting the length.
Wow, this is what true love looks like! 👏

Upvote 0
Imagination, ingenuity, creativity, from necessity. Love it!

Upvote 0