Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grammar question: Plural of Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've taken to leaving it unchanged for the plural. Some words in English do that. The plural of moose is moose. (Not mooses or mooii.) I have a strong dislike of pluralizing Latin-derived words in English according to faux-Latin grammar rules. (The real Latin grammar rules are much more complex, involving case declensions, etc.) Some are established, such as datum/data, but when the English word is an invented word, like Prius, it sounds to me pretentious and pompous to use Prii as the plural. (And I've even seen people using Prii as the singular!) For me, it's Priuses and Model S. "There were ten Priuses and ten Model S driving in the parade."

I am going to suggest one I didn't see in that other thread: A clover of Teslas.

Clover makes me think of a field of hay on the prairie, green and clean, and when newly cut, one of the most pleasant of smells. Back when I worked on the farm, the only way to get the smell of gas or diesel off my hands after filling the tractor or the truck, was to pull up a handfull of grass or clover and rub my hands vigorously with it. Clover = clean and sweet-smelling.

I am going to suggest one I didn't see in that other thread: A clover of Teslas.

Clover makes me think of a field of hay on the prairie, green and clean, and when newly cut, one of the most pleasant of smells. Back when I worked on the farm, the only way to get the smell of gas or diesel off my hands after filling the tractor or the truck, was to pull up a handfull of grass or clover and rub my hands vigorously with it. Clover = clean and sweet-smelling.

Lemon works the same way.....can't see that being accepted in relation to Tesla though!

I've taken to leaving it unchanged for the plural. Some words in English do that. ... "There were ten Priuses and ten Model S driving in the parade."
While I still would go with the Chicago Manual of Style and write "Model Ss", I concede, Daniel, that your proposal conforms to Tesla Motors' official usage. Here are some quotes from the 2012 Q1 10-Q; in each sentence, replace "Model S" with "rocket" and you'll see that "Model S" is its own plural.
As of March 31, 2012, we held reservation payments for undelivered Model S and Model X in an aggregate amount of $112.6 million.
{we} plan to manufacture Model S in higher volumes than those for the Tesla Roadster. We anticipate that initial deliveries of Model S will begin in June 2012.
There are a few examples where they weaseled out of this issue using a construction like this:
We have produced 50 beta and several release candidate prototype Model S cars in the Tesla Factory
We began building release candidate Model S vehicles in the first quarter of 2012

What's the plural of Model S?

The official answer...

Rules for Proper Use of Trademarks

1. Trademarks are adjectives used to modify nouns; the noun is the generic name of a product or service.

2. As adjectives, trademarks may not be used in the plural or possessive form.

Correct: I bought two Tesla S sedans. They had two S EV's on display.

Not Correct: I bought two S'.

*** Sorry, I live in the brand world. :wink:

The official answer...

Rules for Proper Use of Trademarks

1. Trademarks are adjectives used to modify nouns; the noun is the generic name of a product or service.

2. As adjectives, trademarks may not be used in the plural or possessive form.
Hmm, this rule clearly is more of a guideline.
"Have a Coke [carbonated beverage] and a smile."
"Have you driven a Ford [vehicle] lately?"
"I'd walk a mile for a Camel [cigarette]."
etc.

Hmm, this rule clearly is more of a guideline.
"Have a Coke [carbonated beverage] and a smile."
"Have you driven a Ford [vehicle] lately?"
"I'd walk a mile for a Camel [cigarette]."
etc.

"I'd like one beer and two cokes please?"
"There were two Fords parked outside..."
"Can I have a pack of Camels please?"

The last one addressed to a tobacconist and not to someone in the Souk.

Without checking my Google branded search engine, I would say you could say "Models S" but it would sound rather archaic.

Again, my academic style guide biased opinion is to write the plural as Model Ss (no apostrophe needed since the S is uppercase) and similarly Model Xs, which of course you pronounce as Model Ses and Model Xes, respectively. Just like in the future you may talk about Model Ts and Model Rs.

Henry Ford got the first one; though as far as "Model R" is concerned do you know something we don't?
I guess you're relatively new here. After what we had called Whitestar was officially named Model S, it was speculated (perhaps jokingly) that Bluestar and the next-gen Roadster would be be named Model T and Model R, respectively.