Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grammar question: Plural of Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Model S was another adaptation of the Model N. Ford's last right-hand-steering model,[16] it featured a more modern cowl, with hood and fenders that flowed into full running boards. Another notable difference was the optional extra third mother-in-law seat behind the front bench. The basic model sold for $700. Extras such as a convertible top, gas lamps, as well as umbrella holders were available. 3750 cars were sold between 1907 and 1909.

Sounds sexy... optional 3rd row seating... Sounds like Tesla chose the right car to imitate. Shame we don't get the umbrella holders.

I looked at getting 'Model S'3 years ago for my plate in Texas and was surprised that it was taken. I bet you it's on a Ford Model S in a museum somewhere in Texas. Gas lamps would be awesome and really popular here with the oil and gas industry.

I think I'm going to go with Model Ss as the plural until Tesla says something else.

Seems Tesla (George B anyway) is going the route Apple took with iPad and iPhone, except it's a little weirder since it ends in S and they don't add an S:

I must admit that during the past year I have felt very awkward at times talking about how amazing Model S is
I am surrounded by almost 600 others who are just as excited about Model S as I am
With 2300+ Roadsters worldwide, more than 10,000 Model S Reservation Holders, and now 10 Model S on the road, we are thankful for the believers. You're the reason we’re here today...and we’ll never forget it!

Inside Tesla - 06.26.12 | Blog | Tesla Motors

Again, my academic style guide biased opinion is to write the plural as Model Ss (no apostrophe needed since the S is uppercase) and similarly Model Xs, which of course you pronounce as Model Ses and Model Xes, respectively. Just like in the future you may talk about Model Ts and Model Rs.

About the apostrophe, it would never belong there - uppercase S or not - as you are *not* talking about something that the Model S car possesses but rather about multiple Model S cars.

Similarly, I have a problem when people say "EV's" or even "1980's", "1990's" etc. all the time! The apostrophe just doesn't belong there!

Apostrophes | Punctuation Rules

Sorry, pet peeve...

About the apostrophe, it would never belong there - uppercase S or not - as you are *not* talking about something that the Model S car possesses but rather about multiple Model S cars.

Similarly, I have a problem when people say "EV's" or even "1980's", "1990's" etc. all the time! The apostrophe just doesn't belong there!

Apostrophes | Punctuation Rules

Sorry, pet peeve...
Never say never. You're mostly right except that it is often needed for the plural of lowercase letters to avoid confusion.
For example, "Remember to dot your i's and cross your t's." You wouldn't want to write, "Be sure to dot your is and cross your ts."

Correct: The word Mississippi has four s's.
Confusing: The word Mississppi has four ss.

Sorry, pet peeve...
If they do it ALL THE TIME then that is the rule, rules don't define language, usage does, so I'll just keep on using apostrophes to pluralize the letter name until it's the rule.

I didn't notice anyone bringing up the term Attorneys General when pushing for Models S, that's the example my wife used when trying to tell me how it should be done and she is the G.N. in the house. Sadly I never understood that construction either.