Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great news for Tesla Model 3 owners with Pirelli PZEROs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

.Slug

Rollin' around in a 2022 Model 3 Performance
Nov 8, 2021
CA
TLDR: 2022 Model 3 with Pirelli PZero tires come with a "hidden" hazard warranty that covers punctures/impact etc through Pirelli, NOT Tesla.

I accidentally drove through one of the largest potholes I've ever seen this morning and damaged my right front and right rear tires (impact bubbles on both sides of each). Tesla advised me that they would charge me full price for new tires plus installation etc. Tesla stated they are not an "authorized" Pirelli provider (even though they are mfring cars with the tires installed) and so they would charge me. Tesla also stated that the Pirelli tires do not come with a hazard warranty, however, I found today that this is just incorrect by contacting Pirelli corporate.

Pirelli told me, and provided documentation, that explains the PZero included with the new car purchase are actually covered by a special Pirelli hazard warranty because the tires contain their "Pirelli Noise Cancelling System (PNCS), and sensorized systems" technology. They advised that, instead of going through Tesla directly, I should go to an authorized Pirelli reseller/installer and they provided a list in my area. Within 3 hours, I had 2 brand new Pirelli Pzeros installed at no cost to me. Tesla verbally quoted me upwards of $450 per tire and had provided incorrect information about the hazard warranty.

The fine print is basically that the hazard incident has to occur within the first year of ownership and the tire tread has to be above a certain threshold still. The shop measured my tread, submitted to the Pirelli rep, confirmed I was within the limits and did the replacement with no further questions asked. I'm about 1 month into ownership and have 2K miles on my car so I met all the conditions.

So, if you damage your new Pirelli Pzeros accidentally within the first year and within tread wear limit, DON'T go to Tesla. Go to an authorized Pirelli shop for warranty replacement. Contact Pirelli for the proper shop in your area. Keep in mind if they mention "Discount Tire Stores" that they will NOT honor it, but you need to go to their sister store (which is under the Discount Tire umbrella) America's Tire. Discount Tire will not honor the warranty, but their sister shops - America's Tire, will. It seems the Pirelli reps get confused by their association and recommend the incorrect locations. So if they send you to Discount Tire, question it and ask them for the nearest America's Tire instead.

I've attached a copy of the Pirelli warranty documentation and a sample of what some of the damage to my tires looks like.

Attachments

• C90-CD-QA-018-H_Consumer_Warranty_Policy_USA.pdf
    730.6 KB · Views: 1,095
  • 20211229_071006.jpg
    20211229_071006.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 2,155
Last edited:
why would you go to tesla re: tires anyway. way too expensive to get them changed. They charge exorbitant $/hr.

Because of the free roadside and almost not finding the Pzero's in stock anywhere. I'm new to Tesla and still learning the inns and outs of their service. I almost fell for the convenience of having their roadside come to me and just handle it and were prepared to until I really started digging into what other options were available to me.

Should note that Tesla also tried to convince me that I could take my service invoice and submit it to Pirelli for reimbursement, but I wouldn't put any trust in that claim. Pirelli didn't mention anything like that and when I discussed with Pirelli about getting my hazard warranty fulfilled through myself, they said they cannot work directly with consumers on fulfilling the warranty claim. So there is a chance that Tesla may incorrectly advise a customer to use them, then submit a "claim" or invoice to Pirelli where they could be out of luck and knee deep in new tire cost.

I'll add that while Tesla is expensive for tire service they are pretty cheap for their own stuff. For example, I needed a new key fob for a BMW i3 I used to own. BMW charged me about $800 for parts and labor to program it. Tesla charges $175 for a key fob and you can reprogram it for a new car yourself!
BMW and the like are just thieves when it comes to ancillary items for their cars. Absolute thieves. I once had a sun visor catch snap in my Audi...they wanted $75 for the small piece of plastic...I didn't even want them to install it, I could do that...unbelievable. Never again with a German car.

Back on topic...great find for those with Pirelli tires! Thanks for digging into it!

Reactions: pikeman and .Slug
Damn, had a tire replaced recently by Americas Tires and I am well within the 1 year of ownership range. I wonder if they'll offer a reimbursement even if it's already been a couple of months.
Call Pirelli Corporate, they will direct you. Im thinking chances are slim because they needed to measure the tread as well at the time. But worth a shot.

Wish I had seen this thread a bit sooner. My wife was driving our '22 M3P yesterday, hit a pot hole at ~35 mph and punctured one of the sidewalls. It was cold, rainy and had our daughter in the back. She ended up reaching out to Tesla roadside assistance since she was on the side of the road in a rural area.

They charged $405 for the tire and another $55 for for the roadside mobile tire service ($460 + tax in total). Discount/Americas Tire has the same tire for ~$340. Unfortunately, it was a circumstance where we weren't able to remove the wheel, leave the car on the side of the road, take it to an authorized tire shop, and then take the wheel back to the car.

Very helpful thread. I have an additional variable that is complicating my tire wheel replacement options. I will be leasing a performance 3. I am not sure what wheel/tire combo would be acceptable to Tesla at the end of lease, but thinking at least good condition Ubers. I will need another set of tires and wheels for Oct.Nov. thru March/April. My wife's all-wheel drive Suv with winter tires is available in the worst conditions and most of the time.

I am considering 18 or 19 inch all weather tires like the Michelin Cross Climate 2 which could work during any temperature range (obviously with some limitations). It seems too risky running the OEM tires and wheels given the condition of the roads where I live. Selling the OEM tires will be more challenging here also and I would still need some tires for the Ubers at lease end. I do not like the idea of turning in new tires and wheels to Tesla. :)

Any ideas to furthur confuse me? :)

Very helpful thread. I have an additional variable that is complicating my tire wheel replacement options. I will be leasing a performance 3. I am not sure what wheel/tire combo would be acceptable to Tesla at the end of lease, but thinking at least good condition Ubers. I will need another set of tires and wheels for Oct.Nov. thru March/April. My wife's all-wheel drive Suv with winter tires is available in the worst conditions and most of the time.

I am considering 18 or 19 inch all weather tires like the Michelin Cross Climate 2 which could work during any temperature range (obviously with some limitations). It seems too risky running the OEM tires and wheels given the condition of the roads where I live. Selling the OEM tires will be more challenging here also and I would still need some tires for the Ubers at lease end. I do not like the idea of turning in new tires and wheels to Tesla. :)

Any ideas to furthur confuse me? :)
Are you aware that only certain rims fit the Model 3 Performance? You can't just buy any rim and put it on. All M3P rotors have a bolt sticking out of them that the non-M3s do not. The bolt will prevent many rims from fitting your car. There are many threads on it here and youtube videos on it. I had to do a lot of research to find a set of 18" rims for winter tires for my M3P.

Edit: Here's a link on the site for it: Rotor Retention Bolt (Aftermarket Wheel Install)

I have to say that hitting a pot hole that hard to pinch the tire like that and not ruin the rim is impressive. I've heard some really horror stories of the larger wheels ( 20s and such) not being able to take a hit like that. Thats a prime reason I've kept my 19 inch sport rims. A bit more tire to absorb the hits. Great find on the tire warranty.. and yeah.. I spent over 350 dollars getting a 2nd key bought and programmed for my 2012 Beetle from VW.. they were the ONLY ones who could do it.. even if I had a key.. what a PIA.. my Tesla key cards were 45 bucks and took 60 seconds to program myself.

Reactions: .Slug
Damn, anyone know if Continental has the same warranty? From glancing at their warranty info, it doesn't appear so. 2 weeks into ownership and 2 blown tires due to a pot hole. Currently waiting for replacements(11 days and counting).

I’ll say one thing for Tesla: they’re not gouging on tires, at least at my SC. I called 5 tire shops for prices on replacements for my Michelin 20s, and was pleased to find Tesla had the lowest price of them all. I took the car in to have an AC issue taken care of, so of course I‘m having them do my tires as well.

Reactions: JBT66 and Taxvictim