Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Car of the Year 2014 - includes no Electric Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this on the World Car Fans website.

Green Caricon1.png Journal has revealed the five finalists which will battle for the 2014 Green Car of the Year title.

The list is far from being what you would normally expect as it doesn't include any electric carsicon1.png, although the Tesla Model S and BMW i3 would have been more than eligible for being included.
Instead of EVs we find some diesel-powered German sedans such as the Audi A6 TDI doing 38 mpg hwy and the BMW328d which returns 45 mpg. The only hybrid included is the Honda Accord (47 mpg) also available in a plug-in version that returns 46 mpg.

The other two cars which made the short list are the all-new Mazda3 (41 mpg) available for the moment in hatchback and sedan versions, along with the new generation of the Toyota Corolla in the Eco trim which returns 42 mpg.
The 2014 Green Car of the Year winner will be announced next month at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

Source: Green Car Journal

There are two criteria that would exclude the Model S. First, it's not new for this year. Second, it's not affordable to the masses. The award focuses on newly released models that are widely available, and the BMW i3 is not on the market yet. My guess is the Honda Accord will win given it's the only one with gas, hybrid, and plug-in options like the Ford Fusion which won last year.

Um, hate to tell you, but the Audi A6 TDI is in basically the same price range as the Model S. It starts at $57,000.

Thanks, I was a little suspect on that one and missed where the base price is for the TFSI. Still, the Model S should have been up for consideration last year but it wasn't on the list. I'm sure the Gen III will garner a nomination once it's available though.

I would assume that they'd have to exclude all EVs because if they are going to include a single EV then for fair comparison they'd have to include all EVs and they'd have no choice but to elect Tesla Model S as the winner. So in that case there is no point really to having any competition since Tesla has no competition.

Green Car Journal is a bad joke. It is not the least bit green, nor are they the least bit informed or concerned about the environment.

They are just a marketing tool for the automakers.

GSP

What about the Fiat 500e or the IMev or Spark? All in the "affordable" range. If that is indeed their criteria. Or is it who writes them the biggest check?

*tin foil hat on!

To be fair, the Spark and 500e are not widely available.
With their qualifiers, I can easily see why the Model S I doesn't qualify.
I would expect to see the gen 3 in the list when it arrives.

To be fair, the Spark and 500e are not widely available.
With their qualifiers, I can easily see why the Model S I doesn't qualify.
I would expect to see the gen 3 in the list when it arrives.

Another problem at the moment is also that EVs really aren't that green, at least if you consider a realistic well-to-wheel comparison.
For example with the current German energy mix, an EV like the Model S emits more CO2 than many fuel efficient Diesel or CNG cars.
Plus if you include the pollution caused by the production of an EV like the i3/Model S/etc. (e.g. the carbon/aluminium shell, the battery) vs. a standard ICE, you will find that EVs are not that green overall.

Note: I am not against EVs, far from it, I am waiting for Gen III as my next car. All I want to illustrate is why I think even a "Green car" journal doesn't fall for the EV hype, at least at the moment.

For example with the current German energy mix, an EV like the Model S emits more CO2 than many fuel efficient Diesel or CNG cars.

Er, does it? CO2 per kWh generated in Germany was 433 g/kWh in 2009. Account for 4% transmission losses and you're up to 450 g/kWh. According to the EPA the 60kWh Model S uses 35 kWh from the wall to travel 160 km, but NEDC ranges are 12% higher so it's closer to 180km in Europe.

In the end you're looking at a total of 88 g/km. A comparable diesel Audi A7 or BMW 5 series emits 140-165 g/km.

These are the same people that voted the Chevy Tahoe Hybrid green car of the year in 2008. I give them about zero credit.

Green Car of the Year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With a whopping 21/22 mpg City/Higway EPA Rating (and the easier 2 cycle test).
Just heard a recent radio interview on how easy it is to win "a car award" -- mainly because there are so many different ones, from different organizations, judging as many as 20-some different car 'classes' per year -- to say nothing of who's paying for ad space in any given magazine or channel, heh:

In the car evaluation industry, everyone is a winner | Marketplace.org

The only car awards that matter are those from Consumer Reports because that organization accepts no advertising dollars. All other magazines and websites that I am aware of depend on ad dollars from multiple car companies and thus are influenced by that revenue (despite their protestations to the contrary).