Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green New Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Name any year in the past. When world population dips below the level of that year, I will agree the population problem has been solved. And when coal consumption dips below the consumption level of that year, we can say the coal problem has been solved, right? ;)

Which direction do you see? I see it going down...

World-population-by-level-of-fertility.png

Which direction do you see? I see it going up....

ourworldindata_global-co2-emissions-per-capita-since-1751_max-roser.png

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman and GSP
Which direction do you see? I see it going up.
View attachment 366511

Point is that the problem is being solved. Most statisticians would agree it's been solved. The population of the Earth is unlikely to see 12B. Not for any reason other than the trend in birth rate.

Our pathetic addiction to fools fuel is another matter that seriously needs to be addressed :(

Also; Because Math.

Updated-World-Population-Growth-Rate-Annual-1950-2100.png

636796265060817272-120518-Carbon-Emissions-ONLINE.png

Last edited:
Point is that the problem is being solved. Most statisticians would agree it's been solved.
Do the statisticians agree that GHG emissions are being solved because the rate of growth has slowed?

CO2 reached an all time high in 2018. Population reached an all-time-high in 2018.
CO2 is rising at a slower rate than in the past. Population is rising at a slower rate than in the past.

Imagine GHG emissions if the population were frozen at 1990 levels. Isn't that the year often used for GHG or CO2 emissions?

And this is how I know you’re not arguing in good faith. You surely understand the derivative of this chart.
I'm not arguing anything. Just pointing out that population is a major controllable driver of GHG and carbon emissions, and good GHG/carbon policy should address it.

Lets compare population to emissions, and population growth to emissions growth.

• Disagree
Reactions: eevee-fan
I'm not arguing anything. Just pointing out that population is a major controllable driver of GHG and carbon emissions, and good GHG/carbon policy should address it.
You were arguing that countries should gauge climate progress on GHG emissions per square mile, which we’ve all agreed is absurd. It’s in the thread, so I’ll omit my references. Just page back if you’ve forgotten.

Reactions: abasile and nwdiver
The attempts to regulate emissions are by political entity. That seems like it should be to obvious to everyone, and that the implementation details will vary. A much more practical question is how to stop political entities from finger pointing and saying "you first."

It would also help if the US finally realized that AGW is not a hoax. Let's start there.

A much more practical question is how to stop political entities from finger pointing and saying "you first."
Agreed.

It would be nice if each country could achieve two of the following each year:
1. Lower their total emissions (or emissions per square mile, which is basically the same thing).
2. Lower their emissions per capita.
3. Lower their percentage of worldwide emissions.

I'm glad the US is leading by example. I'm pretty sure we have achieved at least two of the three every year for the past decade, and often all three.

• Disagree
I do not agree. I think per capita is absurd.

Per square mile requires countries to be sustainable. Good policy.
Per capita promotes overpopulation. Bad policy.
Prosperity reduces birth rates.
Prosperity raises per capita consumption.
People migrate to prosperity.
The world is becoming more prosperous.
Cities are efficient.

Emissions by area ignores trade, migration, and reality.
Per capita emissions focus on a key challenge created by prosperity.
Prosperity itself, driven by technological, development, will ultimately lead to a reduction in population, so we don't need to focus on population.

You must be joking.
Not joking. If EVERY country accomplished those things the world would be much better off.

Yes, there is a lot of shifting that goes on. Trade is one. People migration is another. But if EVERY country does two of those three things every year the world would be a better place.

It is pretty much the Paris accord philosophy. Each country decides what it can do - and rich countries accomplish part of their objective by paying other countries. So the US taking population from other countries helps other countries meet their objectives; outsourcing production helps us meet our objectives while helping the poorer countries to prosper. Apparently prosperity leads to lower population and emissions.

Imagine if China did two of those three things each year. Or even one... Well, at least they are part of the Paris agreement.

• Disagree
Status
Not open for further replies.