Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Braintree

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Adopada I did see that, but had a hard time believing it :)
Gridserve has been cheaper than many Superchargers for a while. I don't think they've ever been more expensive ... they started at 24p for their high speed charging in the early days of operation when Tesla was 24p to 26p.

When typing a forum member's nickname just hesitate after the @ sign and first few letters and a list of names will appear as a drop down ... select the correct one and you will then have a clickable link ... and the nickname spelled correctly! ;)

Could someone confirm if the Gridserve chargers at Braintree are 50p Kw?

I often see Teslas charging using the non-Tesla chargers, and if the rate above is correct, then I can understand why - Tesla are 56p
Don't forget Tesla charge for DC and everyone else for AC. so need to add 5% maybe more to all other prices before comparing to the supercharger so at 56p vs 50p you are at best saving half what you think you are.

p.s. sorry to be that guy but its kwh not kw

Reactions: browellm
Don't forget Tesla charge for DC and everyone else for AC. so need to add 5% maybe more to all other prices before comparing to the supercharger so at 56p vs 50p you are at best saving half what you think you are.

p.s. sorry to be that guy but its kwh not kw

You've lost me on the AC part - Just quoting the Gridserve website network price

You've lost me on the AC part - Just quoting the Gridserve website network price

Most suppliers sell you a per kWh rate of the power they have used to charge your car. But there are losses in the process. You don't get the full number of kWh because their converter hardware from mains AC to DC isn't 100% efficient. Tesla, on the other hand, reputedly charge you for the actual number of kWh that have been supplied to the car.

The Grid is AC. The battery DC. so the AC has to be transformed by the charger before being sent to the car.
Tesla supposedly bill based on the amount of DC delivered to the car. Everyone else is not able to do that and they bill for the AC consumed by the charger so any losses in AC/DC conversion get billed to you but with Tesla they don't. And that can be 5-10% of the total. This is why you will see a difference between what you get billed for and what the car reports was added to the battery during the session.
At one point Tesla only charged for what went in the battery itself so if you sat in the car with the heat on while it charged that was literally free. They stopped that a couple of years ago though again allegedly.

edit. now they have opened up to other cars which are not Teslas I have no idea how they bill them AC like everyone else maybe since they would not beable to access or trust info from the receiving car and the chargers themselves cannot measure The DC

Reactions: debrooker
Is it not 45p/kWh?

Screenshot_20220916-115700.png