TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Grinding/noisy brakes

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ooandyoo, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ooandyoo

ooandyoo Member

My brakes have started to have a grinding feeling/sound at slow speeds. It seems like it started after I last washed my car. Could that have caused some corrosion on the rotors? I did use a wheel cleaner.

I tried doing a few hard stops to clean off the rotors but that did not help. Then I started thinking its just in my head, but my fiance also noticed it was weird before I even mentioned anything to her.

2. scrapps

scrapps Member

It's probably a small stone lodged in your brakes. I had that today and have had it before on another car. You can see if you can see the stone and remove it. Some people go so far as to take the wheel off to get to it. Today I didn't have much option but to drive with it, and it went away after about 1/4 mile of horrible grinding.

3. roblab

roblab Active Member

And sometimes the rotors rust after a short while. Braking usually smooths things out. I don't understand how rocks, gravel, or sand can get caught under the caliper pistons unless you splash around in muddy potholes.

4. scrapps

scrapps Member

I picked mine up driving less than 15 mph in a covered car park, go figure...

5. roblab

roblab Active Member

That just takes talent!!

6. TTMDLX

TTMDLX Member

Given how little we use the brakes, after rain, snow and car washes or an extended sit in the driveway, my brakes will do the same. A few fast accelerations followed by hard braking tends to "clean" them off. Same goes for my Model X.

7. mswlogo

mswlogo Member

Mine feels the same way. They sound like the morning after a rain. Every time. Not sure how normal it is. Only when hitting the brakes at slow speeds. It sounds “even” and on both sides in the front. Maybe it’s still breaking in.

No sign of any rust at all. Or any scores in the rotors.

8. peachfuzz0

peachfuzz0 Member

I had a squeaking noise from one of my wheels, turns out it was a clip in the rear caliper that was replaced under warranty. It's a known issue.