Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2)Do you think it's better to modify back to version 2?

If the system can tell you when the trunk is open with the v2 setup and without having to remove the rear passenger panels, then I think it would be better to go back to v2.

Regarding the trunk signal wire from v3 or wires from v2 that need to be routed up from the trunk to the trunk lid, I would have liked it if the wire connector plug was not attached to the wire so it would have been easier to pull up the tube. And the installer can attach the plug after the wire or wires are pulled through. I could not find something small enough to detach the wires from the plug when I was doing the install, so I pulled the wire through the tube with the connector on, but it was not easy because the plug kept getting caught.

If the system can tell you when the trunk is open with the v2 setup and without having to remove the rear passenger panels, then I think it would be better to go back to v2.

Regarding the trunk signal wire from v3 or wires from v2 that need to be routed up from the trunk to the trunk lid, I would have liked it if the wire connector plug was not attached to the wire so it would have been easier to pull up the tube. And the installer can attach the plug after the wire or wires are pulled through. I could not find something small enough to detach the wires from the plug when I was doing the install, so I pulled the wire through the tube with the connector on, but it was not easy because the plug kept getting caught.

An electronics screwdriver kit did the job for me with no issues; I think it's hard to ask them to do that prior otherwise they would have to color label cables and it's prone to errors by the installer as well depending on knowledge/skils.

Finished the Frunk install, glad I didn't join the group-buy and got it for $389 instead. It was super easy w/ the Frugal Tesla Guy's video. I HATE pressing the hood down with two hands. A friend used a lighter duty replacement spring to make the hood easier to deal with and then one day in the cold the hood wouldn't raise enough to get a finger in. The Hansshow seems like it will be a bulletproof solution to make my Frunk make me happy.
If love it, please share it, thanks.
What did I say I love that you want me to share? I said my Frunk make me happy... Did you want the address of the Frugal Tesla Guy's video? That did make it easier, but I didn't say I LOVED it.

Go to youtube, search Frugal Tesla Guy Frunk and you should get:

Even an Internet search for that takes you to the youtubes, hard to miss.

I am trying to install the frunk kit and am running into issues. I have double and triple checked all the wiring, comparing to other videos of recent installs and I believe I have everything connected correctly. When I attempt to open or close the frunk using the button, though, I get clicking from the suction motor but no movement of the hood. I did receive an updated firmware from Hansshow which I loaded onto the frunk controller but I'm wondering if it may have been for the trunk controller and I just need the frunk firmware to reflash it. Anyone happen to have a version of the frunk firmware so I can rule that out?

Video attached in case I'm missing something obvious here. :)

I am trying to install the frunk kit and am running into issues. I have double and triple checked all the wiring, comparing to other videos of recent installs and I believe I have everything connected correctly. When I attempt to open or close the frunk using the button, though, I get clicking from the suction motor but no movement of the hood. I did receive an updated firmware from Hansshow which I loaded onto the frunk controller but I'm wondering if it may have been for the trunk controller and I just need the frunk firmware to reflash it. Anyone happen to have a version of the frunk firmware so I can rule that out?

Video attached in case I'm missing something obvious here. :)

I am just curious about the firmware updates - do you receive that via email or is there somewhere I need to check?

@StephHansshow I installed the V3 kit and would not have bought it had I known how it had to be installed. Having to remove panels that cover airbags is not a good installation design, if the panel is not reinstalled correctly it could create a very unsafe condition in the event of a crash. Also I have been trying to get support for some of the differences in the install and the v3 kit I was given, and for a problem I am experiencing and not getting any responses to email or skype. At this point I would warn people away from the Hansshow kit instead of recommending it.

1) The v3 kit has horrible instructions and poor quality images in the instructions
2) There were no replacement shorter rubber shock absorbers in the kit and it does not autoclose with the stock ones installed
3) The car is showing the trunk rapidly switching between open and closed states and will not lock because of it creating a safety problem
4) Unresponsive support

Now the trunk has stopped responding and I have to crawl in and use the emergency release to open it. Also, the struts are basically not removable because the clip for the bottom ball socket is not accessible to be able to pry it open to release. If I can figure out how I'm removing and returning this unsafe product - if anyone ever responds from the company.

@StephHansshow I installed the V3 kit and would not have bought it had I known how it had to be installed. Having to remove panels that cover airbags is not a good installation design, if the panel is not reinstalled correctly it could create a very unsafe condition in the event of a crash. Also I have been trying to get support for some of the differences in the install and the v3 kit I was given, and for a problem I am experiencing and not getting any responses to email or skype. At this point I would warn people away from the Hansshow kit instead of recommending it.

1) The v3 kit has horrible instructions and poor quality images in the instructions
2) There were no replacement shorter rubber shock absorbers in the kit and it does not autoclose with the stock ones installed
3) The car is showing the trunk rapidly switching between open and closed states and will not lock because of it creating a safety problem
4) Unresponsive support

I installed the v3 kit this week too. While getting to the tailgate wire under the parcel shelf trim was not fun, it does give the advantage of having the trunk lights work as expected (on when the trunk is open, off when the trunk is closed). I did also have some trouble with the trunk not reliably latching/locking when closing. For me, adjusting the two screw bumpers on each side of the trunk (the ones which rest on the top of the light mechanism when closed, not the ones by the license plate) to make the trunk flush with the quarter panel and moving the trunk lock block slightly higher worked for me. I initially tried the close force adjustment instructions earlier in this thread but it didn't seem to work with my kit.

My v3 trunk kit now works perfectly. I thought the instructions were adequate, watching a video helped at times too. Only thing that almost stumped me was finding the power screw connector in the passenger footwell as pictured in the instructions, but I was eventually able to find it (it is much higher up the side of the car than I thought). Since I already connected the frunk kit directly to the battery, wanted to avoid having yet another connector on there and I think it meant I didn't have to remove quite as many panels.

I also installed the frunk kit and I think that is my favorite of the two as it makes the frunk so much more usable.

Had changed it back to V2 design, and still support the flashing status when you opened the tailgate in touchscreen.
I don't think you understood the issue I was stating. The trunk was fully closed and latched, but the car was rapidly switching between showing it open and closed and beeping at me while driving. Though the controller stopped responding completely later and I had to use the emergency button from the inside to open the trunk, so I think the controller is dead. Right now I have the state signal connector unplugged from the car and have the controller completely disconnected until I get some other solution. Unfortunately my first email to Hansshow went unanswered, and the second email had them not understanding the issue as well and the time difference will likely leave 1 communication per day at best. Right now I have it mostly uninstalled except for the struts which I cannot figure out how to remove since the clip on the bottom ball socket is not accessible.

I don't think you understood the issue I was stating. The trunk was fully closed and latched, but the car was rapidly switching between showing it open and closed and beeping at me while driving. Though the controller stopped responding completely later and I had to use the emergency button from the inside to open the trunk, so I think the controller is dead. Right now I have the state signal connector unplugged from the car and have the controller completely disconnected until I get some other solution. Unfortunately my first email to Hansshow went unanswered, and the second email had them not understanding the issue as well and the time difference will likely leave 1 communication per day at best. Right now I have it mostly uninstalled except for the struts which I cannot figure out how to remove since the clip on the bottom ball socket is not accessible.

I'm having the same issue... worked great for a week, then the car alarm went off at 2 am last night showing that the trunk was opened. it was not. I've tried rebooting the system, and re-powering the Hansshow system on and off to no avail.... the car seems to think it's open when it isn't, and sometimes does the flashing thing between open and closed. I'm going to have to disconnect the thing so I can engage autopilot, and avoid the false alarms!... LMK if you find a solution to fix. In the meantime, I recommend that everyone stay away from the V.3 Hansshow trunk system. the fronk one is working great (knock on wood).

I'm running version 2019.40.50.7 if that is useful.

I'm having the same issue... worked great for a week, then the car alarm went off at 2 am last night showing that the trunk was opened. it was not. I've tried rebooting the system, and re-powering the Hansshow system on and off to no avail.... the car seems to think it's open when it isn't, and sometimes does the flashing thing between open and closed. I'm going to have to disconnect the thing so I can engage autopilot, and avoid the false alarms!... LMK if you find a solution to fix. In the meantime, I recommend that everyone stay away from the V.3 Hansshow trunk system. the fronk one is working great (knock on wood).

I'm running version 2019.40.50.7 if that is useful.

@ikelley after mostly removing and then putting it back in but leaving the trunk trim open, I think it's a problem with the latch. I'm hoping adjusting the nuts to let it extend up further will help. My guess is that the latch is not extending far enough and is somehow triggering it to think it is not latched at times. Perhaps it going off at 2am for you was due to metal contracting in cooler temperature and hitting that trigger point. Right now I've had it working fine for a few days with with the hard plastic trim off which creates a bit more space or less pressure from the rubber shocks.

Can you send a message to my whatsapp(+8615521082760). Let me check the problem, thanks.

I do not have WhatsApp, nor will I give it my phone number to be able to sign up for it. I have sent a message to the Hansshow Skype account, and sent emails, but I only got 1 email response and none to my reply or the Skype listed on Hansshow's account.

Right now I have reinstalled the hard plastic trim on the bottom on the trunk, and without the rubber shocks it closes and latches, but with them it does not latch. I have moved the nuts as far as I can to towards the mechanism (towards the bare end of the cable), moving them the opposite direction made it not able to latch no matter what I tried.