Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the Hansshow trunk kit with foot sensor plus the frunk kit today with the group buy discount.

I requested that they consider offering the foot sensor as an option for the frunk kit. They said they don’t offer it due to a safety concern. However I don’t think one can open the frunk via the touchscreen or app when the car is in motion. Offering the foot sensor would increase the frunk kit’s usefulness.

I also suggested that they ship the cable bundle with the pins attached and let the customer push the pins into the plastic connector housing after the cable is run (ala Tesla Offer). Seems a more elegant solution than them cutting the connector off and then you have to splice the wires back, which is what they do now. Alternatively, how difficult is it to remove the (molex) pins from the plastic connector housing?

Can someone please recommend an Amazon link for the appropriate tools to use to remove the car panels?

In addition, I’ve read that some people have broken some of the plastic posts when removing the car panels. As the group buy package does not include replacement plastic posts, does anyone have an Amazon link for suitable replacement posts?

Thanks

I ordered the Hansshow trunk kit with foot sensor plus the frunk kit today with the group buy discount.

I requested that they consider offering the foot sensor as an option for the frunk kit. They said they don’t offer it due to a safety concern. However I don’t think one can open the frunk via the touchscreen or app when the car is in motion. Offering the foot sensor would increase the frunk kit’s usefulness.

I also suggested that they ship the cable bundle with the pins attached and let the customer push the pins into the plastic connector housing after the cable is run (ala Tesla Offer). Seems a more elegant solution than them cutting the connector off and then you have to splice the wires back, which is what they do now. Alternatively, how difficult is it to remove the (molex) pins from the plastic connector housing?

Can someone please recommend an Amazon link for the appropriate tools to use to remove the car panels?

In addition, I’ve read that some people have broken some of the plastic posts when removing the car panels. As the group buy package does not include replacement plastic posts, does anyone have an Amazon link for suitable replacement posts?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Tresalto-Aut...=1571855622&sprefix=auto+clip+,aps,225&sr=8-4

Deck lid trim panel has green and white clips. You can save most of the green clips, but it is really hard to save the white clips

Anyone know if these clips work on the model 3. They were recommended some time back for use in the model S:

GOOACC 25 Toyota Trim Door Panel Retainer Clips 90467-10188 Sienna Corolla Camry Tacoma Tundra Sequoia Matrix Prius RAV4 Scion Avalon Land Cruiser 9mm Hole - 40pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040CTTH4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zqkSDbPH8QZ9T

Always get the ones with the nylon. Tesla promotes quietness in everything they do.

Thats why they use fabric electrical tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Retainer-Toy...E5V09QDJD7AG1C28H&qid=1571859367&s=automotive

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Did anyone put the little rubber seals in place of the large spring based ones as the last step shows? I didn't but the trunk closes just fine.

I did, but am thinking of putting the stock ones back on. When closing, the trunk kind of slams at the end, right before the soft close mechanism starts. Does yours slam with the stock stoppers? I'm hoping putting them back on would soften it.

Reactions: Skione65
Technically, you can see your trunk open on the app and the car screen when it's open with Hansshow product. I had the same concerns when I got the product, so I had a long chat with the support team. Yes it's a limitation, but there is a way to know if your trunk is open or not.

To have this information you need to follow the instructions on the file "harness change method.pdf" attached here.
Once you're done with the modification you need to update the controller box of the trunk with the file "update.txt", please change the extension to ".bin" or it will not work.

Then finally the behavior will be the following:
- When your trunk is closed, you can see that it's closed
- When your trunk is open the button on the screen switches between open/close to let you know it's open.
- You can open and close the trunk from the screen and the button of the trunk
- You can only open the trunk from the app and not close it.

Video illustrating the new behavior:
trunk - Streamable

Personally I'm not 100% satisfied with this solution, but I think it's worth mentioning to people who want and need to know the status of the trunk.

Marcuir,

i just made the above adjustments, but it looks like it no longer opens the trunk max distance as the other update prior. the screen now does alter between open and closed as it should. one thing that is different, the trunk lights now flash on/off instead of staying on when open. can you confirm or deny that with yours?

thanks

Did anyone put the little rubber seals in place of the large spring based ones as the last step shows? I didn't but the trunk closes just fine.

So I did. Thinking about trying the Spring/plunger OEM to see if if closes any softer. Supposed to be ‘Soft Close’ technically....which it is. However is slams pretty abruptly the last 4-5 inches....from in the car it’s a little obnoxious.....not too bad out of the car by the trunk.....then soft closes from there. Is yours any softer with those Springs/rubber plunger which adds and inch or two in lieu of just the 1/4” rubber grommet?

Ski

I did, but am thinking of putting the stock ones back on. When closing, the trunk kind of slams at the end, right before the soft close mechanism starts. Does yours slam with the stock stoppers? I'm hoping putting them back on would soften it.

^^^^ This...going to revert back to the Springs/Plunger tomorrow to see if it’s any better. If you do the same let me know your results.

Ski

Last edited:
Technically, you can see your trunk open on the app and the car screen when it's open with Hansshow product. I had the same concerns when I got the product, so I had a long chat with the support team. Yes it's a limitation, but there is a way to know if your trunk is open or not.

To have this information you need to follow the instructions on the file "harness change method.pdf" attached here.
Once you're done with the modification you need to update the controller box of the trunk with the file "update.txt", please change the extension to ".bin" or it will not work.

Then finally the behavior will be the following:
- When your trunk is closed, you can see that it's closed
- When your trunk is open the button on the screen switches between open/close to let you know it's open.
- You can open and close the trunk from the screen and the button of the trunk
- You can only open the trunk from the app and not close it.

Video illustrating the new behavior:
trunk - Streamable

Personally I'm not 100% satisfied with this solution, but I think it's worth mentioning to people who want and need to know the status of the trunk.

So if I understand correctly, if you make this change to the wiring harness and update the controller, you lose the ability to close the trunk via the app? That is, the app will open the trunk but not close it?

Correct.....atleast that’s my experience....installed the Frunk yesterday....kind of a pain as you have to close the Frunk via the App if in the car.

Ski
Yeah, honestly I’m going to close the frunk from the button inside the frunk. Opening remotely is great. I take my laptop bag everywhere and it’s a perfect spot for it, so it doesn’t fly around the trunk when I punch it. So nice having the frunk.

I feel a total dork-out, and think we should all post our frunk videos open and close, to see which one is the nicest.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Interesting.
I installed the foot sensor inside of the bumper and my trunk opens with simple kicking motion.

@not4antoher,

So.....installed the Auto Trunk today....still have to clean up the wiring tomorrow. All seems well. I DID install the foot sensor IN the rear bumper....removed the bumper. And ran the wiring through a right rear quarter grommet into the trunk....however haven’t connected the wiring yet. How did you run the foot sensor wiring from there. I see the White is not used (it’s acc). How did you run the others and what did you tap? Did you run it through that nightmarish tubing by the right strut or splice or tap something I the trunk for the +/GND and the 3rd wire. Any photos? Like I said...mines IN the rear bumper and wirings run into the trunk, just not connected yet. Thanks,

Ski