Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group buy for the 4k Blackvue Dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already have issues with the 128GB card on my 750 and 650's. I don't, ever, download my videos unless something happens and I have been burned numerous times over the years by videos that are overwritten a day or two later. I have needed videos from 3, 4, 5 and sometimes longer than that. Blackvue cloud is too expensive and really pointless and I don't think there's a way to autoupload to my own server(s) and then delete after x amount of time anyway. On top of that, I don't want Wifi on 24/7, which I would need to do if I allowed cloud uploads anyway.

If Blackvue allowed automated FTP transfer to custom servers and geofencing for WiFi, then a smaller card would be totally fine... but since it doesn't, 128GB is not nearly enough and has cost me in the past for not knowing I needed to get videos off the camera soon enough.

The most recent incident and example of this is damaged tires due to improperly designed road construction curbs... I only had 1 video which was not as compelling as the earlier video on tire damage because I didn't realize the tires were damaged until several days later. Fortunately, I got 2 of the tires replaced for the first video, but the 2nd video would have had all 4 tires replaced.

I already have issues with the 128GB card on my 750 and 650's. I don't, ever, download my videos unless something happens and I have been burned numerous times over the years by videos that are overwritten a day or two later. I have needed videos from 3, 4, 5 and sometimes longer than that. Blackvue cloud is too expensive and really pointless and I don't think there's a way to autoupload to my own server(s) and then delete after x amount of time anyway. On top of that, I don't want Wifi on 24/7, which I would need to do if I allowed cloud uploads anyway.

If Blackvue allowed automated FTP transfer to custom servers and geofencing for WiFi, then a smaller card would be totally fine... but since it doesn't, 128GB is not nearly enough and has cost me in the past for not knowing I needed to get videos off the camera soon enough.

The most recent incident and example of this is damaged tires due to improperly designed road construction curbs... I only had 1 video which was not as compelling as the earlier video on tire damage because I didn't realize the tires were damaged until several days later. Fortunately, I got 2 of the tires replaced for the first video, but the 2nd video would have had all 4 tires replaced.

Hmms, seems fairly simple to autodownload the files when you get home every night... Dashcam file auto download script

Nice, I'm going to get that setup when I get back to the states next week!

I still don't like having the wifi on 24/7 though.

Well if you really want it, just get a hotspot for the car and let it always be on WiFi, I guess the real question is how much don't you like it, and what are you willing to spend to fix it. Both are fairly easily fixed, but one fix also adds I guess $40 a month convenance fee?

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak
Yeah, no way I'm doing $40/month. When I say wifi on, I mean on the dashcam. I don't want WiFi on the dashcam on... at home, it's on 24/7. That script is exactly what I want. The only other missing piece now is geofencing to turn on Wifi in certain areas and off everywhere else. There's already a GPS on the camera, there's no reason that it's not technically possible.

Yeah, no way I'm doing $40/month. When I say wifi on, I mean on the dashcam. I don't want WiFi on the dashcam on... at home, it's on 24/7. That script is exactly what I want. The only other missing piece now is geofencing to turn on Wifi in certain areas and off everywhere else. There's already a GPS on the camera, there's no reason that it's not technically possible.
Not that my question is of any consequence, but I am missing the part as to why you want wifi on sometimes versus not at all. You mentioned above you want it on away from home. How is wifi away from home going to help? I didn't see an details where you would routinely get your wifi when not at home? Looks like you ruled out a hotspot.

Not that my question is of any consequence, but I am missing the part as to why you want wifi on sometimes versus not at all. You mentioned above you want it on away from home. How is wifi away from home going to help? I didn't see an details where you would routinely get your wifi when not at home? Looks like you ruled out a hotspot.

I don't, I only want it on at home. I don't need it on while driving around.

What issues are you experiencing with the 128gb cards? I have a BV 650GW single camera and had no problems when using a Samsung 64 GB memory card. A few months ago I upgraded the card to a 128 GB Samsung and at first it seemed like it worked fine. But after several days the dashcam began chanting “Check SD card”. I formatted the memory card in the dashcam and again, after several days the chanting resumed. I then reformatted the memory card on my PC using the Blackview Windows software. That didn’t help either. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have a QNAP NAS that runs 24/7. I would appreciate some pointers on how to get this script set up to copy the BV dashcam files to the NAS. I’m not completely computer illiterate (e.g. I set up a Plex media server on the NAS), but I will need more details on how to do this. Thanks.

Hmms, seems fairly simple to autodownload the files when you get home every night... Dashcam file auto download script

I have a QNAP NAS that runs 24/7. I would appreciate some pointers on how to get this script set up to copy the BV dashcam files to the NAS. I’m not completely computer illiterate (e.g. I set up a Plex media server on the NAS), but I will need more details on how to do this. Thanks.

I’ll tell you what, I received shipping notification for my cams as expected nov 11th once I get them installed I’ll come back here and document my entire process for video offload and storage and share any additional scripts I write to make it work. The one requirement is you’ll need to be running a Linux based system, or youbport it yourself I don’t do windows :rolleyes:

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones and Naonak
And what if you leave WiFi on on the dashcam? It’s not like it’d cause any issue.

Because it heats up the dashcam and causes video issues on hot days. The Wifi chip is a huge heat generator inside the case, probably the largest one due to it's always on nature.

Also, it's a huge security issue. You can only have a very limited password due to Blackvue software brain damage, so they are super easy to hack.

What issues are you experiencing with the 128gb cards? I have a BV 650GW single camera and had no problems when using a Samsung 64 GB memory card. A few months ago I upgraded the card to a 128 GB Samsung and at first it seemed like it worked fine. But after several days the dashcam began chanting “Check SD card”. I formatted the memory card in the dashcam and again, after several days the chanting resumed. I then reformatted the memory card on my PC using the Blackview Windows software. That didn’t help either. Is anyone else having this problem?

128GB is not enough. It doesn't provide enough storage space. 64GB isn't even close.

As for your problems with the Check SD card, it's because you are not using high endurance cards. It's a common issue and it's why you can't get a card larger than 128GB. You need the high endurance cards in the Blackvues (and most dashcams), otherwise they are worn out too quickly.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigD0g
This is the Samsung 128GB memory card I am using now that has the problem I mentioned: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWZWYVP/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 64 GB version of this card worked fine. So the Blackvue dashcams require some type of Mil Spec memory card to work properly? If so, would someone please post a link to a 128GB memory card that does work in a Blackvue camera. I have to say that I haven’t ever used an electronic product in my life that is so finicky about the memory card, and that includes many video cameras and other brand dashcams.

Because it heats up the dashcam and causes video issues on hot days. The Wifi chip is a huge heat generator inside the case, probably the largest one due to it's always on nature.

Also, it's a huge security issue. You can only have a very limited password due to Blackvue software brain damage, so they are super easy to hack.

128GB is not enough. It doesn't provide enough storage space. 64GB isn't even close.

As for your problems with the Check SD card, it's because you are not using high endurance cards. It's a common issue and it's why you can't get a card larger than 128GB. You need the high endurance cards in the Blackvues (and most dashcams), otherwise they are worn out too quickly.

@Naonak LOL, why are you disagreeing with me documenting my scripts and process for the benefits of the community? If you can do it better / faster be my guest I won’t disagree.

Also, the reason I disagreed with your comment that 128gb is not enough is because your talking out both ends of your mouth, 128 is not enough so your driving more then 8hrs straight in a clip with no access to WiFi between those 8hrs and clearly you had 8 hrs of incidents, because 128 is not enough. I’d love to understand your usage because it really doesn’t seem from the outside to resolve in the real world examples.

Also, lates day you find the holy grail and get a 512gb stick, who the heck is going to review that much material on every trip?

@Naonak LOL, why are you disagreeing with me documenting my scripts and process for the benefits of the community? If you can do it better / faster be my guest I won’t disagree.

Also, the reason I disagreed with your comment that 128gb is not enough is because your talking out both ends of your mouth, 128 is not enough so your driving more then 8hrs straight in a clip with no access to WiFi between those 8hrs and clearly you had 8 hrs of incidents, because 128 is not enough. I’d love to understand your usage because it really doesn’t seem from the outside to resolve in the real world examples.

Also, lates day you find the holy grail and get a 512gb stick, who the heck is going to review that much material on every trip?

No, I'm just randomly disagreeing with you without explanation, just like you did to me, so what's the problem?

Now that you've explained yourself, I stand by my disagreement. Since you apparently didn't read anything I wrote, I guess the conversation is pointless. I never said I drive 8 hours straight. I never said I wanted to review all of my videos. I never said I have 8 hours of incidents. I provided you with a real world example. You just seem completely disconnected from the conversation. Is English your first language? If it's not, then I apologize as it might be difficult for you to follow as a non-native speaker. If that's the case, let me know and I'll try to simplify the concepts a bit.

This is the Samsung 128GB memory card I am using now that has the problem I mentioned: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWZWYVP/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 64 GB version of this card worked fine. So the Blackvue dashcams require some type of Mil Spec memory card to work properly? If so, would someone please post a link to a 128GB memory card that does work in a Blackvue camera. I have to say that I haven’t ever used an electronic product in my life that is so finicky about the memory card, and that includes many video cameras and other brand dashcams.

People have reported problems with the Select variety. Some people have reported success with the Evo (non-select). I went to the Blackvue 128GB cards and haven't had a problem yet, but they are pretty expensive ($1/GB). I just ordered one of the new Samsung Pro Endurance cards (128GB @ $99) so we'll see how that holds up.

Realistically, all dashcams require a high endurance card for longevity. Some people don't use them as much as others, though, so they get away with the cheaper cards. Since we drive Teslas, we are typically going to have the camera on 24/7 including parking, so we burn through a card much faster than someone who only has it on when they are driving. For me, I live in Kansas, so I spend a lot of time in the car driving and have put on more than 100,000 miles in my cars over the past 2 years (between my wifes 2 Teslas and my own). Card longevity is a real issue between us.

Thanks. Please let us know how the Samsung Pro Endurance card works out for you.

People have reported problems with the Select variety. Some people have reported success with the Evo (non-select). I went to the Blackvue 128GB cards and haven't had a problem yet, but they are pretty expensive ($1/GB). I just ordered one of the new Samsung Pro Endurance cards (128GB @ $99) so we'll see how that holds up.

Realistically, all dashcams require a high endurance card for longevity. Some people don't use them as much as others, though, so they get away with the cheaper cards. Since we drive Teslas, we are typically going to have the camera on 24/7 including parking, so we burn through a card much faster than someone who only has it on when they are driving. For me, I live in Kansas, so I spend a lot of time in the car driving and have put on more than 100,000 miles in my cars over the past 2 years (between my wifes 2 Teslas and my own). Card longevity is a real issue between us.