Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy Poll for Mono-Block Forged Alloy Wheels by Titan

What size what you prefer for Mono-Block Forged Wheels for the Model 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Titan Forged Wheels

The Titan7 wheel line fills the void for those looking for a moderately priced fully forged wheel for aggressive track duty or the occasional weekend warrior.

Who is Titan? (Eddie Lee- CEO)

Putting in all of their effort rethinking every part of a wheel brand. From the engineering, design, manufacturing, value, packaging, and even how the wheels are sold – knowing they we can do better for the industry. Titan7 done our best to offer a brand that anyone can buy and also be proud of. FORGED FOR ALL.

With decades of performance wheel experience, Titan7 sought to masterfully craft what is needed in today’s performance wheel category. With that, Titan7 instills in all of their products the 7 Virtues of a Performance Wheel:

• 100% Manufactured In-House (China)
• Lightweight without Structural Compromise
• Rigidity and Strength tested for Competition
• Constantly Evolving and Advancing Technologies
• Unapologetically Competitive
• Industry Respected and Respect for the Industry
• Customer Driven Development

Forging Process

Titan 7 wheels are Fully Forged with an industry leading 10,000 Tons of pressure. That means Titan 7 wheels are strong, light, durable all in one. That’s not all, we employ state of the art technologies to give you features that make sure you stay on top of your performance game.

The key to Titan 7 Forged Wheels is that we make all of our wheels 100% in house. Everything from design, tooling, forging, machining, heat treatment, surface finishing, and testing is all done in house with no outsourcing. Very few Forged wheel companies can make this claim. This means you get complete quality and performance control.

Utilizing an industry leading 10,000 TONS of pressure to form their wheels, resulting in a perfect blend of strength, lightness, durability in the same product. That is why they are obsessive with lightness while offering a lifetime structural warranty.

Features
- Industry-Leading 10,000-Ton Forged for optimum strength on the track and street
(SSR and Volks wheel manufactures use a 6,000-8,000 Ton press)

- FeatherWeight at ~18-19lbs for most 18" wheels
(T-S5 is 18.8 lbs for 19" wheel)

- Provides clearance for most BBKs
(great news for those wanting MPP, StopTech, Brembo, AP or other big brake kits)

- Knurled BeadSeats to prevent tire slippage
(great evolution of wheel design to stabilize tire during high lateral moves)

- TPMS Friendly for street driven vehicles

- Lifetime Structural Warranty

Available Finishes
- Satin Titanium
- Machine Black

I just wanted to include this technology info to demonstrate
the superiority of forged wheels.

Hopefully, the Tesla community can make better decisions with better information!

Last edited:
Titan Wheels History

I was chatting with Steve at EAS, and he mentioned there was a new forged rim coming to market soon that might be worth a look. He said the company was new, but the founder had worked in the wheel industry for a long time. It was called Titan 7. I looked into them a bit, and thought the wheels were attractive, but they weren't shipping yet, so I didn't put much effort into it.

Then in January, I was at Chuckwalla doing a Bimmer Challenge, and Titan 7 had a booth. So, I wandered over to say hi and ask a few questions. Eddie Lee, who is the founder, was in the booth and we ended up chatting for 45 minutes. He's a very nice guy who has a lot of industry experience and he patiently answered all my dumb questions. After that conversation, I was interested in the wheels. The T-R10 seemed to meet all the criteria in my list:

-They are claimed to be very strong due to a 10,000 ton press being used to shape the aluminum.
-This 10,000 ton pressing process also results in the rims being quite stiff and resistant to deflection under high-G loads.
-They are lighter than the ARC-8's. ARC-8 - 20.5 lbs versus T-R10 - 19.5 lbs (The T-S5 style is 18.8 lbs.)

Other notes of interest for me:

-Eddie had a 20 year run with Mackin Industries. (Mackin imports Rays Engineering, Yokohama wheels, etc.) While he was there, he developed wheel programs for BMW factory race cars and other pro teams which is a pretty demanding world. He's worked on creating private labels. He's been on-site at many production plants in Asia. Basically, he has dealt with wheels his whole career. In fact, his journey in his business reminds me of my journey in my music business. We both worked for other corporations for a long time, gained a bunch of knowledge from all the time in the trenches, and we both figured out how to build a small business around the knowledge we gained over the years. When someone comes up through the ranks like that, they have seen a business from all sides. That's how it worked for me, and Titan 7 seems to be the result of similar experiences. That's appealing to me.

-I asked about production. Due to the small size of the company, I was worried that maybe T7 was piggybacking off some other larger production runs and just slapping their logo on something. Nope. The answer was interesting. He made a relationship with an industrial manufacturer that had not been making consumer products but wanted to. They had some impressive machinery like 10,000 ton presses. He has setup all the business logistics with this manufacturer from scratch. This is not a generic run-of-the-mill piggyback wheel that's the same as everyone else with a different logo slapped on it.

-Regarding the 10,000 ton press and general forging - My knowledge on forged rims was lacking. So, I asked a bunch of questions. I don't want to dwell on what a forged rim is because there's lots of great info out there, but I'll touch on a couple things. Forged wheels are desirable because you start with a solid cylinder of aluminum, heat it up and then you press it into an initial shape with powerful presses. The more pressure you use when you press it, the denser/stronger the rim material gets. (They say the "grain structure" of the metal is improved.) According to Eddie, most forged rims are made with 6,000 and 8,000 ton presses. 10,000 ton presses are more rare. (He said only one other wheel maker is using a 10,000 ton press.) And with a forged rim, there's no potential for microscopic porosity, which is air trapped in the metal. Cast wheels start as molten aluminum and the molten metal is poured into a shape. When you start with a liquid and pour it into a shape, the possibility of getting air trapped in the metal exists, which is not ideal for overall strength. And you don't get the benefit of the pressure from the press. (You compensate by putting more metal into the wheel, i.e. the wheel is heavier.) Flow Formed wheels (like Apex) which use spinning during the casting process produce better results. But the strength and stiffness per pound just isn't the same as a forged wheel. So, porosity is just not an issue with forged rims, and having a denser and more consistent rim material allows you to make a light wheel because you can use less material, but it's still very strong and stiff. Ok, enough about forging....I'm not the expert on this topic.

-Between the two wheels offered by Titan 7, there is a weight difference. In the 10.5" size: T-S5 18.8 lbs vs. T-R10 19.5 lbs. I asked Eddie about this. He said both wheels are built to be very strong. But they decided to beef up the T-R10 a bit more. According to him, the T-R10 is the stronger of the two. And I guess that's not really a surprise. It is 10 spokes coming straight off the hub, versus the T-S5 with 5 spokes, and the T-R10 is heavier so there's more material to work with. He was very clear that both were built like "tanks", but that the T-R10 was a bit of a beefier tank. For me, looks was bottom of the list on importance. The TS-5 is a sexy wheel, but I was totally fine with the radial look of the T-R10. And while weight is a consideration, strength was much more important, so if the T-R10 is stronger due to the additional 0.7 lbs, I'm fine with that. It's still a full pound lighter per wheel than the what I had.

-I like the ET25 offset. On Apex, I had ET27 with a 3mm spacer. Now, after test-fitting, I've seen I can run most tracks without a spacer. The clearance to the spring perch is totally fine. The other consideration I have to deal with is my supercharger intake. Buttonwillow's Off-Ramp corner is brutal when you have tight tolerances. The corner is very tight, slow, and uphill......it's just nasty. The tire just jams up into that wheel-well with the steering wheel turned hard. I may run the spacer at Buttonwillow to help preserve the intake and now I'll be even further away. And I appear to have the room on the outside. So, yeah the ET25 offset is nice for my purposes.

-Along the way, I've learned new terms such as "camber stiffness" which has to do with how a wheel deals with deflection and deformation under high G's. He claims that the T7 wheels resist high-G loads extremely well. This makes for a more consistent driving experience.

-Their wheels have been run in 24 hour races and were fine.

-Knurled bead - I was happy to see that feature. It's a nice touch to try to reduce tires creeping around the rim (yes Hoosier I'm talking to you!).

-The wheels come with wheel stems. Cool. No one told me. I bought stems for the new wheels, and now I...uhh....have extra stems. hehe

So, with the wheel change complete, I have refreshed the entire rotating package of the car---wheels, hubs, studs, lug bolts, the Essex brakes/hats/rotors are very new (8 days on the fronts, 3 days on the rear), so I'm hoping that the car is good-to-go for awhile. I am quite eager to go out and see what everything feels like! And I'm quite happy with how the wheels look!----even though I said it wasn't high on my list.....
biggrin.gif

PS. It's important for me to reiterate that I didn't leave the Apex brand due to any specific unhappiness. I just finally made a decision that I should drive a higher spec wheel because the car is experiencing very high forces now (as the cracked hub so wonderfully illustrated). I would happily recommend Apex wheels to anyone looking for Flow Formed wheels. They are a very nice company to deal with. (I have a square set of 9.5" ARC-8's that I'm keeping for my E92 M3 street car, you know, just in case I take that baby to the track!)

@Xenoilphobe Thanks for spearheading this. Any chance this poll could close sooner than 90 days? Would love to see how the poll turns out so I can make a decision sooner.

Also, where can I get more info on the aerodynamic wheel effort? I’m somewhat intrigued and interested in the range/weight/perf difference.
I may be able to convince the Titan leadership to move forward with a beta run of wheels so we can see the performance on car. I would love to move forward at this point with a 19 x 8.5 option and a 19 x 10 option (rear), but I really want to collect the data to share with the Titan leadership

I may be able to convince the Titan leadership to move forward with a beta run of wheels so we can see the performance on car. I would love to move forward at this point with a 19 x 8.5 option and a 19 x 10 option (rear), but I really want to collect the data to share with the Titan leadership
Understood, thanks. And this is tangential, but what tires would everyone be putting on these? I’m in the Bay Area and the PS4S is my most likely choice, but I’m not crazy about the 300 treadwear rating.

Titan7 ‘s are great wheels... I was considering getting a set for my BMW M3 to use as a track wheel. They share a lot of technology with Volk racing wheels. Very strong and very light weight.

I’d consider either a square fitment maybe 19x8.5 or 19x9 or staggered. But the main thing for me also is I don’t want to compromise too much range for a flush fitment. I’d want a happy medium.

Maybe for a prototype set they can do square & staggered and keep pushing offset more aggressive with spacers until theres a noticeable difference in range? Then base offsets on those findings?

Would be cool if they also made detacheable aero discs to go with it much like the jdm wheels from the 80’s... but that is probably too much to ask at this point... I’d be happy with the perfect fitting set of forged wheels for my model 3 for a price that is attainable for everyone.

I’d also be curious as to how the aero design looks in other colors at a more aggressive offset... a friend of mine showed me pictures of that months ago... but ultimately the split y spoke is my favorite design for titan7’s.

If they can survive the track, they are more than fine for daily driving
Tracks do not have huge potholes like Ohio roads in the winter so I wonder this myself. I71 between Columbus and Cincinnati, where the speed limit is 70 MPH, has been horrible over the past 6 months. When traffic in front of you don't avoid them it's hard to avoid them it yourself.

FYI, I plan on having a winter set of tires so I would possibly be interested in these for spring-summer-fall wheels if they could withstand substandard roads.

Reactions: debuggr
Tracks do not have huge potholes like Ohio roads in the winter so I wonder this myself. I71 between Columbus and Cincinnati, where the speed limit is 70 MPH, has been horrible over the past 6 months. When traffic in front of you don't avoid them it's hard to avoid them it yourself.

FYI, I plan on having a winter set of tires so I would possibly be interested in these for spring-summer-fall wheels if they could withstand substandard roads.
i hate pot holes, especially when driving at night, almost impossible to see

looks like these wheels are real monoblock forged, so if a pothole can damage this (assuming same sized wheel and tire profile), it would've damage your stock ones as well.

im a bit confused on this thought process.

in the event you hit a pot hole with the oem wheel, they would have a higher chance to crack than a forged wheel.

although this doesnt mean forged is bullet proof.