Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gruber Motors responses to BMS_u029 error message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, that's the consensus here. Jason has an active presence here and a lot of customer feedback. Gruber, I want them to succeed but as far as I can tell they don't actually work on vehicles. They seem to be focused on marketing. It is extremely hard to find anyone that's used their service.
I've seen posts from Gruber on multiple local Tesla FB groups. I'd say marketing is their main priority, even in spammy ways.

Back before Tesla was forced to replace the eMMC boards for free Gruber offered an eMMC repair service. You had to remove the MCU yourself, then remove the eMMC board and mail it to Gruber. They would attempt to read the contents and put it on a new chip. If they couldn't read it they would put a default image on the new chip which meant your app would no longer work. The chip runs about $20-$30 if you buy a single one, cheaper in bulk. Labor to desolder and solder the new one is a few minutes. Add time for reading the old chip and write to new chip... maybe they'll put an hour into it. Let's be generous and give them two hours of labor.

So what would this service cost you might wonder? Two hours of labor and $30 in materials.... How about $1,800. I even emailed them to make sure that price was right and they wrote back and confirmed. Told me it was a great price since a complete new MCU from Tesla was more money.