Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS_u029 error message. That sucks.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alas, you get the BMS_u029 error message. Max charge level reduced. OK to drive. Schedule service. What's Tesla say? You need to replace your HV battery.

Well, this sucks. Am I out of warranty? No, whew ! Or yes, I am out of warranty. Well, this sucks.

In my many personal conversations with owners in this Facebook Group (Tesla BMS_u029 | Facebook), reactions range from "it's unfortunate but I'm still happy with Tesla and will keep/fix my baby" to "not sure what I'm going to do" to "Elon did this, I'm not owning another Tesla again. Can we sue?"

Options if you're out of warranty? It all depends what you want to do with your Tesla. Keep it, trade in for another Tesla, get rid of it and never look back again? So, those options include getting new or reman pack from Tesla, or from 3rd party vendor like @Recell or @wk057. Sell car as is at reduced price. There's other options but will not divulge.

Either way we get back to the beginning. This sucks. And they're right.

But hey, we could have our gas engine timing belt break resulting in a costly engine rebuild. That also sucks
🙂

313010585_10228378954754825_8326740221605797654_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ddb1001
I've got some alternative solutions to this problem in the works that might be able to help at least make these cars usable again for less than a pack replacement from Tesla or us.

Two different methods in the works. One should be available in the next couple months, the other probably not til late in the year.... but should be good compromise solutions for folks who want to drive these until they're dead.

In the meantime, 057 has the extended service plan which covers this fault, and we also do pack replacements much cheaper than Tesla. So, definitely options for this problem.

Our RC+ line of remanufactured battery packs were specifically developed in response to the BMS_u029 issue and to provide Tesla owners with an affordable replacement for a failing battery pack.

Leading the RC+ lineup is our RC 210+ battery pack. Dollar-for-dollar, the 210+ is our most popular battery pack to date – a commute-ready daily-driver for under $8,000 - including shipping and installation.

Our RC+ line of remanufactured battery packs were specifically developed in response to the BMS_u029 issue and to provide Tesla owners with an affordable replacement for a failing battery pack.

Leading the RC+ lineup is our RC 210+ battery pack. Dollar-for-dollar, the 210+ is our most popular battery pack to date – a commute-ready daily-driver for under $8,000 - including shipping and installation.

You're right. @Recell is one of many solution options that I advise the many BMS_u029 casualties I've personally talked to over the past 6 months. Thanks for being there for us.

Reactions: maximizese
I've got some alternative solutions to this problem in the works that might be able to help at least make these cars usable again for less than a pack replacement from Tesla or us.

Two different methods in the works. One should be available in the next couple months, the other probably not til late in the year.... but should be good compromise solutions for folks who want to drive these until they're dead.

In the meantime, 057 has the extended service plan which covers this fault, and we also do pack replacements much cheaper than Tesla. So, definitely options for this problem.
Any update on your alternative solutions? Thx.

Alas, you get the BMS_u029 error message. Max charge level reduced. OK to drive. Schedule service. What's Tesla say? You need to replace your HV battery.

Well, this sucks. Am I out of warranty? No, whew ! Or yes, I am out of warranty. Well, this sucks.

In my many personal conversations with owners in this Facebook Group (Tesla BMS_u029 | Facebook), reactions range from "it's unfortunate but I'm still happy with Tesla and will keep/fix my baby" to "not sure what I'm going to do" to "Elon did this, I'm not owning another Tesla again. Can we sue?"

Options if you're out of warranty? It all depends what you want to do with your Tesla. Keep it, trade in for another Tesla, get rid of it and never look back again? So, those options include getting new or reman pack from Tesla, or from 3rd party vendor like @Recell or @wk057. Sell car as is at reduced price. There's other options but will not divulge.

Either way we get back to the beginning. This sucks. And they're right.

But hey, we could have our gas engine timing belt break resulting in a costly engine rebuild. That also sucks
🙂

View attachment 916196
That problem is fully reverse engineered and debunked. It is safety mechanism because battery is in defect. Repair the battery and then reset BMS.
Full procedure here.

BMS reset algo here.

• Disagree
Reactions: wk057
That problem is fully reverse engineered and debunked. It is safety mechanism because battery is in defect. Repair the battery and then reset BMS.
Full procedure here.

BMS reset algo here.
Oh. Only 8,900 Euros for the manual to repair a battery! My dad is a TV repair man, he has an awesome tool kit. I think I can fix it.

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm glad to see aftermarket stepping up and offering solutions. I gives me hope. I'm tempted to trade in our 2018 MX with 90K but it's such a great car. My wife Karen, not being a car person just had fell in love with it and according to her (Red Dragon) has a personality. Tesla did already change out the original pack with what they noted was a Raven last year.