Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gruber Motors responses to BMS_u029 error message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
I tuned into Gruber Motors live broadcast this morning and got their feedback on the BMS_u029 issue. Very informative answers. My three questions:

(1) There have been a growing number of early Model S's with BMS_u029 error message. TSCs requires full pack replacement. Have you run across this? Are there any other solutions? - 6 minute mark
(2) One solution has been 3rd party reset of error code. Is that a safe or viable solution? - 21 minute mark
(3) What is the reason for the error message? Bad cell, brick or module? Hardware? - 30:15 minute mark.

Facebook Group related to this error code - Tesla BMS_u029 | Facebook

@Recell @wk057

Last edited:
I must disagree with characterizing it as informative. They didn't seem to have any ideas.

Also, how bright are the lights in that studio?
To me, value was (1) theory that Tesla is dialing back these older battery packs as they are aging, (2) reset of error code option by hackers or 3rd party vendors is "buyer beware", and (3) reset option is not unsafe but the root cause of the problem still needs to be addressed.

Reactions: Cheese Guy
I must disagree with characterizing it as informative. They didn't seem to have any ideas.

Also, how bright are the lights in that studio?
It's just weird they're wearing shades.
IMHO, I don't think they are having much of a success rate changing out cells or packs within a model S battery. They are already omitting there is an impedance issue with the roadster battery. I would think the roadster has a more primitive BMS system compared to the S.

Prove me wrong but I don't know of any production success rate of a 3 wheel vehicle ICS, battery. or other. Sling shot, Can am maybe but no 3 wheel car.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
Yep, I'll be flamed for this, but they come across pretty shady. 057 tech is where I'd put my money.

No, that's the consensus here. Jason has an active presence here and a lot of customer feedback. Gruber, I want them to succeed but as far as I can tell they don't actually work on vehicles. They seem to be focused on marketing. It is extremely hard to find anyone that's used their service.

No, that's the consensus here. Jason has an active presence here and a lot of customer feedback. Gruber, I want them to succeed but as far as I can tell they don't actually work on vehicles. They seem to be focused on marketing. It is extremely hard to find anyone that's used their service.
In my experience, both Pete Gruber and @Recell have been responsive to my calls. I've had wonderful conversations with both Mr. Gruber and Mr. Maglaque on older Model S's like mine getting the BMS_u029/018 alert.

To the contrary, Jason @wk057 has not returned my communications to talk with him - neither multiple messages to his business, nor PM thru TMC, nor PM thru Tesla BMS_u029/BMS_u018 | Facebook

And I'm even promoting @wk057 business in that Facebook Group as a recommended vendor ! Come on Jason.

To the contrary, Jason @wk057 has not returned my communications to talk with him - neither multiple messages to his business, nor PM thru TMC, nor PM thru Tesla BMS_u029/BMS_u018 | Facebook

And I'm even promoting @wk057 business in that Facebook Group as a recommended vendor ! Come on Jason.

My crew does a great job answering calls and customer questions. When you deal with 057, you don't need to talk directly to me in 99% of cases. My guys have you covered.

However, do keep in mind that when someone calls in and just immediately asks to speak to me directly, that's a spam/scam flag for my frontline crew. People who do need to get a hold of me directly know how to do so and don't call into the office. So if you're calling in looking for me and there's no specific inquiry that my crew can attempt to work with to get through the BS filter, you're probably getting blackholed there a bit, sorry.

They do note all messages to me, so if they say they're passing the message they are doing so. But, if there's no specific reason noted as to why I'm to return a call besides something like "has some questions", I usually don't bother. If you call in with questions, just ask them. If my guys don't have the answer for some reason, the callback message to me will look more like, "Has question about XYZ that I wasn't able to help with," and I'll pretty much always queue such return calls to be made at some point, but usually by educated by crew on whatever XYZ is so that they can field such an inquiry in the future.

I personally avoid phone calls like the plague unless absolutely necessary because they're a massive time sink. To be effective and not rude on a phone call, it needs undivided attention. Which is fine when the situations requires it, but by crew does a great job of filtering what actually gets to me in that regard. If it looks like I'm going to spend more than a few minutes on the phone, it's likely just a resource killer and I'm not actually needed. Might sound ridiculous, but I've generally got way more important things to do over here than to spend 10+ minutes on the phone answering questions that either my crew could answer or that I've already publicly noted (in which case they can still answer). It's much more efficient and effective for me to take small chunks of time to do written responses to things (publicly and privately) than to spend hours on calls answering essentially the same questions over and over when my crew gets paid to do that, and better than I do generally.

In fact, I do see what I'm guessing are be two callback requests from you, both with vague notes, one saying something about a Facebook group (and had some other operational notes I won't get into publicly), but still a vague non-request of me. So, honestly, I've ignored them. Might as well be a telemarketer call.

So, I'm unsure what you're looking for. If you (or anyone else) has questions about us servicing a particular vehicle, you don't need me personally. Just call or email in and my crew will take care of you. If you have general questions, call or email in and my crew will take care of you. If there's something they're unsure of, they'll pass that to me and you'll get the info you're looking for if it's something answerable.

If there's info you want others to know, ask me publicly. As you're likely aware, I'm pretty good with responding to posts that tag me here and on Twitter. I don't really use Facebook... (it's a cesspool of nonsense, but that's a discussion for another time), so you won't find me too active in a Facebook group unless someone specifically links me to something in a group (which I believe is how I ended up in your group at all).

My crew does a great job answering calls and customer questions. When you deal with 057, you don't need to talk directly to me in 99% of cases. My guys have you covered.

However, do keep in mind that when someone calls in and just immediately asks to speak to me directly, that's a spam/scam flag for my frontline crew. People who do need to get a hold of me directly know how to do so and don't call into the office. So if you're calling in looking for me and there's no specific inquiry that my crew can attempt to work with to get through the BS filter, you're probably getting blackholed there a bit, sorry.

They do note all messages to me, so if they say they're passing the message they are doing so. But, if there's no specific reason noted as to why I'm to return a call besides something like "has some questions", I usually don't bother. If you call in with questions, just ask them. If my guys don't have the answer for some reason, the callback message to me will look more like, "Has question about XYZ that I wasn't able to help with," and I'll pretty much always queue such return calls to be made at some point, but usually by educated by crew on whatever XYZ is so that they can field such an inquiry in the future.

I personally avoid phone calls like the plague unless absolutely necessary because they're a massive time sink. To be effective and not rude on a phone call, it needs undivided attention. Which is fine when the situations requires it, but by crew does a great job of filtering what actually gets to me in that regard. If it looks like I'm going to spend more than a few minutes on the phone, it's likely just a resource killer and I'm not actually needed. Might sound ridiculous, but I've generally got way more important things to do over here than to spend 10+ minutes on the phone answering questions that either my crew could answer or that I've already publicly noted (in which case they can still answer). It's much more efficient and effective for me to take small chunks of time to do written responses to things (publicly and privately) than to spend hours on calls answering essentially the same questions over and over when my crew gets paid to do that, and better than I do generally.

In fact, I do see what I'm guessing are be two callback requests from you, both with vague notes, one saying something about a Facebook group (and had some other operational notes I won't get into publicly), but still a vague non-request of me. So, honestly, I've ignored them. Might as well be a telemarketer call.

So, I'm unsure what you're looking for. If you (or anyone else) has questions about us servicing a particular vehicle, you don't need me personally. Just call or email in and my crew will take care of you. If you have general questions, call or email in and my crew will take care of you. If there's something they're unsure of, they'll pass that to me and you'll get the info you're looking for if it's something answerable.

If there's info you want others to know, ask me publicly. As you're likely aware, I'm pr with responding to posts that tag me here and on Twitter. I don't really use Facebook... (it's a cesspool of nonsense, but that's a discussion for another time), so you won't find me too active in a Facebook group unless someone specifically links me to something in a group (which I believe is how I ended up in your group at all).
Thank you.

Last edited:
OK, let try this. Pls call me at xxx.xxx.xxxx. Thank you.
(Note: I redacted the phone number, since it's horrible opsec to publicly post such info.)

Not to be rude, but you don't seem to have read or understood my post. 🤷‍♂️ Further, I'm not just going to call a random person who posts their number publicly on a forum without a really good reason (like from a classified post I'm interested in or something...).

If you have a specific request, just call or email my crew, ask them, and they'll help you out if possible. If you just want general pick-your-brain type chit chat about BMS issues and whatnot, we can do that on a thread here where the responses can get done as time allows, unfiltered by a literal game of telephone (me to you to whomever), and 100% public. Just tag me.

Last edited:
Thanks. Sorry you're having a bad day.

Appreciate your input to TMC, where your feedback is to be considered and weighed along with others.
Eh? I'm actually having a pretty good day. lol. Solved issues with several vehicles today that neither Tesla nor another third party shop had any idea how to fix. Completed 2 battery swaps. 1 upgrade.... and all before lunch (now). Not sure how the day could go any smoother! (Knock on wood.......)

What shenanigans are you trying to pull here exactly?

Edit: I posted in that Facebook group with details on how to contact 057 and myself.

Last edited:
Ray, what year and model do you own? Can you post or send me an approximate cost?
2012 P85. I ordered reman from Tesla for $13.5k+$390 labor + tax=approx $15k. 3 weeks later NEW 90 kWh replacement pack arrived. Tesla honored $15k quote. So saved about $5k. 90kwh corked to 85kwh. Would cost $750 to uncork but I opted to remain at 85kwh.

2012 P85. I ordered reman from Tesla for $13.5k+$390 labor + tax=approx $15k. 3 weeks later NEW 90 kWh replacement pack arrived. Tesla honored $15k quote. So saved about $5k. 90kwh corked to 85kwh. Would cost $750 to uncork but I opted to remain at 85kwh.
Is this your first pack replacement, if not how long did you have your previous pack?

Is this your first pack replacement, if not how long did you have your previous pack?
I purchased car from original owner 1 year ago (Oct 2022). Was on original pack, so 10 years. Yes, first replacement pack. before and after pack label pic attached. Before and after.png

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne