Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grumpiness and off topic discussion from the configuration thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. How do you plan to configure your Model 3? Would you order now or postpone for AWD or standard battery?

Sorry, but I have zero interest in discussing with you.

I do enjoy discussing the Model 3 with others who are interested in the car. I have no interest in talking to people who are here to try to whip up ill will toward Tesla to help their short position in the stock. If I enjoyed that, I'd spend my time over on Seeking Alpha instead.

You just pointed to what makes every other carmaker envious. Tesla owners and prospective buyers are seemingly the most patient and forgiving buyers on the planet. I credit that to the charisma and "branding" of Elon Musk as Planet Earth's savior. His following is nothing short of amazing.
The patience comes because I know I'll love the product. Tesla is definitely not perfect, but they are much better any many areas that I consider more important. First and foremost how they treat their customers (post-delivery. one could argue that the pre-delivery experience - setting expectations, meeting deadlines, communicating effectively - could definitely be improved depending on your experiences). I know some people have had a few bad experiences, but honestly, I'm almost excited if I have to take my X in, because it's really a pleasure compared to taking a car to a dealership. They listen to me, I don't feel like cattle, it's already assumed that they'll take care of any temporary transportation needs, for free.

And then there's the product. There was a post earlier in this thread about frustrations with the eGolf - mostly centered around the power button. Tesla "gets" it. Other manufacturers don't. A Leaf is my daily driver (the X is technically my wife's for the whole fam). As far as cars go, it's alright. Definitely beats having to go to the gas station. But it has legacy automaker roots, and you can tell. That #@&)ed power button! The remote app flat out doesn't work. Getting information out of the car about state-of-charge or estimated charge time is clunky at best. Wtf does pre-heating the car while plugged in pull precious energy from the battery, instead of the wall?! Why do I have to set the clock on the IC separately from the radio? Grrr just default to B mode - yes I really actually prefer stronger regen! Really, I still have to turn Cruise Control on before setting a current speed? It has a minimum required speed to use?? There are probably more, but every one of these things that you just don't think about in a Tesla, because they eliminated every one of these steps that are superfluous, and yet other automakers leave them in because that's how things used to work. Oh, and if Tesla missed something (pre-keyfob seat position memory, for example), they can (and often do) a software update to rectify it. Our Model X is literally a better car today than it was the day we bought it. All of this additional goodwill adds up to my ability to be patient waiting for my own Model 3, because I know I'll love it.

Agree, but I worry that with the 400k Model 3 orders, Tesla will feel the strain and service may suffer. I love my local service center and show up sometimes when I'm in the area just because. That will all change. As it must. sigh
That is one of the casualties of mass market sales. One cannot deliver, and customers should not expect, the same level of service for a seller of 75,000 cars a year to one selling 500,000 or a million. Tesla has a great niche in the specialty segment. Trying to be all things to everyone can be a fatal decision for some companies. Musk has taken a great thing and will cheapen it in the long run. Ferrari, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, and similar brands understand this and made the decision to remain exclusive. It happens with clothing, jewelry, etc. How would the market react if Rolex to increase sales started a cheaper line offered in Costco or JCPenny? Would the brand retain its prominence? I think not.

What has made Tesla great in sales and service will erode. There is no way to avoid it. It is part of the branding decision each manufacturer makes early in their formation. Had Tesla decided to remain exclusive they would already be profitable. But building the infrastructure for their expected growth is killing their balance sheet and income statement. Products are getting rushed and corners are being cut. Satisfaction will erode too over time.

Ah, there you are again @beachbum77. Just read in a post at this forum you're short on TSLA. Ofcourse you're trying to turn peoples view around so you can earn some bucks.

I think you're wrong. The model 3 is the first full electric vehicle capable of competing with mainstream ice cars like BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes. Not only does it compete, it threatens to take away a large part of their marketshare, which means millions of cars and billions of revenues. This will truely be a revolution. EV sales are now below 200k and the model 3 alone will triple or quadruple this number making it a serious alternative for a great deal of people.

The model S and X are and will remain great cars in the luxury segment. The price limits it's ability to really disrupt the ice market. If Tesla wants it can create a seperate service line for this segment as customers expect another level of service.

I bet model Y will even further strengthen Tesla's position as a leading car manufacturer. Note that I'm not writing 'EV manufacturer'.

The technological developments going on right now will make all EV's even more superior to ICE than they already are. Cheaper, cleaner, better. Tesla is showing this. The Roadster in the super/sportscar segment, the model S/X in luxury cars, the 3/Y in entry level luxury cars.

"Times they are a-changing" so go long on TSLA and you'll earn more. ;)

Last edited:
There is a big difference between not liking a stock price, and not liking a company. They do not go hand in hand.

I firmly believe Tesla will endure. (I believe they are going to go through a BK reorg in near future). Their current shareholders, not so much. My articles are clearly framed as warnings to investors. I certainly do not tell anyone not to buy the products, which I happen to like.

You point out a clear and obvious problem. Too many people take criticism of Tesla the investment as a criticism of the products. Certainly not true in my case. I did have a Model 3 reservation until I saw the specs and pricing. Now I am waiting for a 2016 or 2017 lease return Model S. Tesla has shown to have just as much depreciation as most other cars in the first 24 months. If you look at the mileage on used Tesla Model S, these cars are not driven much. That makes them a perfect lease return at a substantial discount.

As far as linking my articles, why would I? I am not here on this site to talk about the stock. This is a website about the cars most of all. Or at least this is where I have learned a lot about them. I spend an equal amount of time on the Mercedes-owner websites.

Lots of great info gets shared here. Owner opinions have convinced me that a used Model S would be a better car for me than a new Volt or Bolt or other smaller car. After test driving all of them, I prefer the size and feel of the Model S. My plans for my property outside Jacksonville include a small solar farm to run the house and power as many devices as possible. Adding a BEV would be a logical choice. Here, I cannot sell excess power back to the utility so it is use it or lose it. No point in wasting it.
@Donn, im surprised your article on the fuel cell powered semi from Nikola has vanished from Seeking Alpha
the one where they get 1,000,000 free miles of hydrogen so they overwhelm the Tesla Semi.
could you provide a link please
cheers from further south in Florida

You can go down to your local Showroom today and purchase a new, inventory MS and take delivery before 12/31 and get your EV tax credit. "Your complaining is getting tedious," as my mother used to say to me.
Like I said, I didn’t like the S enough to make me think it’s worth $33k more than the 3. The tax credit has zero bearing on my purchase. If you don’t like my posts, ignore me.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
Shame I failed at talking myself into buying a Model S, would have been a much less stressful end to this BS.
The tax credit has zero bearing on my purchase.
Then why the stress? I mean, I can understand you don't like paying 7500$ extra but since you'll be purchasing anyhow, I don't see any reason to be stressful. If you couldn't afford the extra 7500 I'd understand it, but now.... You'll get your beautiful car anyway and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: T34ME
Then why the stress? I mean, I can understand you don't like paying 7500$ extra, but since you'll be purchasing anyhow I don't see any reason to be stressful. If you couldn't afford the extra 7500 I'd understand it, but now.... You'll get your beautiful car anyway and enjoy it.

I’m just tired of waiting and having no real idea how far along they are, how optimistic their delivery estimate is, how they’re prioritizing reservations, etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and WarpedOne
I’m just tired of waiting and having no real idea how far along they are, how optimistic their delivery estimate is, how they’re prioritizing reservations, etc.
Yep, I can imagine that. Let's hope production will ramp up quickly and all will be quickly forgotten as you're driving down the road in your beautiful car. From here in Europe, we can just look at you guys across the pond with a mild sense of envy.

Last edited:
It seems this thread is now being hijacked by other topic rather than what the original intent was, which is about configuration of the M3. I think those that want to talk about something else should start a different thread so that we keep this one focused.

The question of if they've started sending out invites has been answered. Do you want this thread to just do that and then die?

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
Like I said, I didn’t like the S enough to make me think it’s worth $33k more than the 3. The tax credit has zero bearing on my purchase. If you don’t like my posts, ignore me.

It's so frustrating to come to a thread about Model 3 configuration and instead find needless ill will. Please, the world is good, and we're lucky to be talking about such fun driving toys. Enjoy the day; we only get so many of them! :)

It's so frustrating to come to a thread about Model 3 configuration and instead find needless ill will. Please, the world is good, and we're lucky to be talking about such fun driving toys. Enjoy the day; we only get so many of them! :)

It's hard to enjoy the day when both of the two things I've been looking forward to for this winter are hanging by a thread. Getting a car I've wanted to give myself as a reward for how hard I've been working for the last few years is in an unknown state, and while I knew that would be a possibility, the ski trips I had planned to keep me happy in the meantime are now hanging by a thread due to a knee injury that has me confined to working from home for the last few days and for at least the few more before I even know if it's going to need surgery.

So am I grumpy? Yup. Is the world good? Not mine at the moment. Do you people deserve to have to put up with my posts right now? Probably not!

It's hard to enjoy the day when both of the two things I've been looking forward to for this winter are hanging by a thread. Getting a car I've wanted to give myself as a reward for how hard I've been working for the last few years is in an unknown state, and while I knew that would be a possibility, the ski trips I had planned to keep me happy in the meantime are now hanging by a thread due to a knee injury that has me confined to working from home for the last few days and for at least the few more before I even know if it's going to need surgery.

So am I grumpy? Yup. Is the world good? Not mine at the moment.

Wow.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV