Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GSM - On or Off - What's your preference?

Do you keep GSM on or off?

• Always ON.

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • Always OFF.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ON for diagnistics only.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ON except when I want to hide what I'm doing.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember Daniel, pessimists are never disappointed. :)
That's what I tell people when they accuse me of being a pessimist. But in fact, one still gets disappointed. However, there were no disappointments today: The truck arrived with my 2.5 non-sport Roadster and the battery about 3/4 full, just eyeballing the little icon, at about 9:45 a.m. and I drove it home at about 10. After a phone call to make sure that I was not driving in valet mode, I drove to my insurance agent's office to insure it (no problems) and then took it for a spin to a friend's place 30 miles away, and then back, and a visit to another friend in town and a ride for him, and finally the grocery store and home.

I'll leave out the details about performance and handling, 'cuz everyone here knows that stuff. After accelerating to the 35 mph speed limit from a stop light I looked in my rear view mirror and the other cars were about a block behind me. And I get a wee bit carsick when I stomp on it from a stand-still. I never put it in Performance mode. Maybe I will some day.

I like my new car.

I had 50 miles of ideal range when I got home and plugged it in for its maiden charge at its new home.

No matter what I pick, I have to be like someone else. -sigh- So... ON. I thought about 'except when i want to hide what I'm doing', which is true, i would turn it off if i didn't want to be found ... but since I started living under the 'no drama' mantra, i couldn't come up with a scenario where I'd need to hide.

Daniel, After your trials with the E-Porsche I hope you have thousands and thousands of happy non-performance miles driving in your new wheels. :)
Thanks, Eric. I'm enjoying the car greatly so far.

Now I'm wondering: With warm weather coming on, do I leave the top off when I go to the grocery store? Do I leave it off when I leave it in the parking lot by the river to walk on the Centennial Trail? (A wide paved trail along the river for walking, jogging, cycling, roller-blading, etc.) To the latter I think I say no. It just takes a couple of minutes to put the top on, and the same to take it off again. But the store, I don't know.

@daniel, Get a Taylor Mesh Top. Solves the soft top on/off quandry beautifully, in my experience. Doug_G had an incident with trash being put in his car with his mesh top on, through the gap between the top's edge and the window edges, but I've not had that happen.

PM is sent.

Another question: Today I went out without the top for the first time. Up to 50 mph or so all is well. But at freeway speed the pulse of the wind (kind of like what you get with a car with one window open, but not quite) was extremely unpleasant. Does the mesh top mitigate that?

Does the mesh top mitigate that?

Not exactly sure what you mean but what I can say is that whatever the top does for you. The Mesh Top does it half as much.

That is, sunlight on your noggin is about half way between top on / top off, same with wind and noise. To me it's the perfect compromise between the two.

Another question: Today I went out without the top for the first time. Up to 50 mph or so all is well. But at freeway speed the pulse of the wind (kind of like what you get with a car with one window open, but not quite) was extremely unpleasant. Does the mesh top mitigate that?

At higher speeds, open top is more comfortable if you roll up the windows.