Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, let's be accurate.

Where did I say what you're implying? Please show me.

I didn't say implying at all. I didn't use that word. I am responding to your quote:

"But dear god, each time I stumble into one of these threads, I see people thinking they deserve free battery upgrades, special paint, and so on.
Nothing else needs to be given, other than that sincere thanks. And the joy of driving a Tesla all these years.
I don't get why everyone is so wound up over this."

That's what I am responding to.

I didn't say implying at all. I didn't use that word. I was responding to your quote:

"But dear god, each time I stumble into one of these threads, I see people thinking they deserve free battery upgrades, special paint, and so on."

That's what I am responding to.
Then you're reading something else into it. I never said Elon didn't say (or did say) -- my point (which must not have been clear) is that people are thinking they deserve more and more. The *asks* are getting bigger and bigger.

Then you're reading something else into it. I never said Elon didn't say (or did say) -- my point (which must not have been clear) is that people are thinking they deserve more and more. The *asks* are getting bigger and bigger.
I think people have been guessing or entertaining what Elon could have meant as "something special". Paint and Supercharging, etc are fair guesses. Neither would really cost Tesla anything.

I think as big as Elon does.

A key fob holder - would cost Tesla money. Anything that could potentially come with the car already is free for Tesla. Software is free. Enhanced AP would be free for Tesla to send out.

And anything aside from black paint is special, seriously?
LOL. I know.

I guess they got a deal on black paint.

You never know though... It might change before the configurator is online.

2 weeks ago you could purchase air suspension on each Model X and S,
1 week ago you could only get air suspension on a 100kWh battery car.
This week ALL cars come with air suspension standard.

You just never know until its time for you to order.

I think people have been guessing or entertaining what Elon could have meant as "something special". Paint and Supercharging, etc are fair guesses. Neither would really cost Tesla anything.

I think as big as Elon does.

A key fob holder - would cost Tesla money. Anything that could potentially come with the car already is free for Tesla. Software is free. Enhanced AP would be free for Tesla to send out.

op·por·tu·ni·ty cost
noun
ECONOMICS
  1. the loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen.

It isn't economically free.

really?

Yes it is free. Once they make the paint prices all free.....then it will be free. Just like they did on the Model S when true white was an option.

I think you missed my point. Giving out the software free destroys opportunities for people to buy it. That is the cost to Tesla, potential sales. Not to mention creating the impression that the software isn't worth it, which could hurt sales further.

Once a business starts discounting, it is tough to stop, because customers come to expect it.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I think you missed my point. Giving out the software free destroys opportunities for people to buy it. That is the cost to Tesla, potential sales. Not to mention creating the impression that the software isn't worth it, which could hurt sales further.

Once a business starts discounting, it is tough to stop, because customers come to expect it.
Its not a discount. Tesla does not give discounts at all. Its a change in sales.

Remember when Tesla said that after a certain date.....Supercharging for the Model S and X will be pay per use? THEN Telsla flipped the script and went back to free supercharging. Franz ( of Tesla) told everyone that Tesla didn't lose any money because they aren't selling Superhcharging. It didn't hurt or help Tesla profit margin.

Tesla just did the same thing with air suspension in the past 3 weeks. It was free....then it wasn't going to be an option at all.....now its totally free.

There is no customer of Tesla that will expect anything. They had better check "todays" options and any rumors out there.

Its not going to be anything. Nothing at all. The only thing Elon said last night is "Thank You" to those who lined up all night ( some in the rain).

That's it. That's all we are going to get.

At the end of the day if we don't get anything, no big deal. I'll have my 3 and enjoy it and move on with life. But just as a point, when it comes to opportunity cost, Tesla seems to be willing to take $1000 haircut on all cars they've sold in the recent past, as referral codes can be found on any corner of the internet. If nothing else, a Model 3 travel mug or hat that would cost them all of $2 would be enough of a goodwill gesture from Tesla to its most loyal customer base.

• Love
Reactions: bonnie
As much as I would love to get free supercharging, or a free paint upgrade, I viewed the "something special" as "something unique".
Like the opportunity to get a special paint color no one else can have, or something commemorative like the old Roadster crystal paperweight.

I am not holding my breath. Not any kind of "deal breaker" worth whining about. If they offer some nice gesture great, if not, oh well...

But just as a point, when it comes to opportunity cost, Tesla seems to be willing to take $1000 haircut on all cars they've sold in the recent past, as referral codes can be found on any corner of the internet.

How much marketing value is inherit in the code which tracks the origin of the new customer?

I contend there is a lot of co-opted energy stuffed in many corners of the Internet with little cost to Tesla.
Maybe Tesla should require customers to write a simple one paragraph essay on the origin or selection of the provided code?
("I learned from my friend Joe how great Tesla cars are." would earn an "A" presuming the code was from Joe. ;-)

I suppose you are suggesting that new customers that walk into a Tesla store and buy with no prior knowledge of the existence of referral codes are 'chumps'? ;-)

Remember when Tesla said that after a certain date.....Supercharging for the Model S and X will be pay per use? THEN Telsla flipped the script and went back to free supercharging. Franz ( of Tesla) told everyone that Tesla didn't lose any money because they aren't selling Superhcharging. It didn't hurt or help Tesla profit margin.

This actually proves my side, not yours. People had gotten used to free supercharging. The discount price (free is still a discounted price) became the norm and people were upset when they wanted to start charging for it, so Tesla went back on it because of the uproar.

Once you've established a low price, it's very difficult to raise it again without customer backlash. Even model 3 owners are upset about having to pay for supercharging, as if getting free electricity is their right somehow. All because Tesla level set the supercharging as free to begin with.

This actually proves my side, not yours. People had gotten used to free supercharging. The discount price (free is still a discounted price) became the norm and people were upset when they wanted to start charging for it, so Tesla went back on it because of the uproar.

Once you've established a low price, it's very difficult to raise it again without customer backlash. Even model 3 owners are upset about having to pay for supercharging, as if getting free electricity is their right somehow. All because Tesla level set the supercharging as free to begin with.
Free is NOT a discounted price. The price of supercharging is/was built into the car.

Who's upset? How can a model 3 owner be upset? There are so few of them so far. Have you spoken with any of the employees?

Free is NOT a discounted price. The price of supercharging is/was built into the car.

Who's upset? How can a model 3 owner be upset? There are so few of them so far. Have you spoken with any of the employees?

Free is just a 100% discount. Once free is expected you'll have a hard time getting customers to accept paying for it. There are a thousand internet companies that can attest to this. They built up a customer base on a free service to find that those customers weren't willing to pay for it later.

You can read these very forums to find model 3 reservation holders that were upset to hear they had to pay to supercharge.